Winch bumper

Tom P

Well as my name would suggest I am new at this :D , any way

I was thinking about buying a winch bumper for my defender and stumbled across this one

http://www.firstfouroffroad.co.uk/defender...lar_bumpers.htm[/url]

I was wondering if this bumper is a waste of money (it cost £298), and if any one has had an experience with it, or if there is a better winch bumper out there? or if any one has heard any good or bad reviews about it.

Thanks

:D Tom :D

Edited by The new Guy

I am i looking at about £300 for a winch bumper or can you get cheaper?

Theres cheaper out there but probably not in a tubular stylee!!

paddocks do the same one as first four off road and as i'm sure you've seen first four off road do one for 200 quid.

Try

These guys I believe they've just made a new range of winch bumpers..

and for the cheapest yes mill services top the bill, although the bumpers don't look as sturdy as some of their more expensive counterparts IMHO..

better for what?

Sorry :P

I will be mainly using it on the road but once or twice a month i will be off-road with it. i would like to raise my LR but cart afford a new raised suspension kit

Hope that helps :P

Tom

Edited by The new Guy

Sorry :P

I will be mainly using it on the road but once or twice a month i will be off-road with it. i would like to raise my LR but cart afford a new raised suspension kit

Hope that helps :P

Tom

In hindsight (never seem to get it soon enough though) I'd get a set of BFG MT 255/85x16s. Good for daily road use, great off road and at 33" diam have a nice balance of height and width. several on here are now running them as sole sets or second sets to their Simex.

In hindsight (never seem to get it soon enough though) I'd get a set of BFG MT 255/85x16s. Good for daily road use, great off road and at 33" diam have a nice balance of height and width. several on here are now running them as sole sets or second sets to their Simex.

Seconded , must have been one of the first things i did with the old 200TDi i had 255/85x16 BFG's

mill services stopped making winch bumpers!!!!! well he was making themthe other day wheni went for coffee :D

In that case he has only recently started again....

They were on the website at one point maybe a year or so back, and I enquired about one for myself. I didn't get it at the time, but when I later enquired again Richard told me he had stopped doing winch bumpers. I quote from an email from him I just looked out to make sure I was right: 28 Apr 05 in which he says "Stephen, I do not do winch bumpers any more". Relatively unambiguous I think :)

They are now no longer on the website (or at least they weren't only a couple of days ago when I was looking at his site), only the non-winch bumpers which I assume he does still make.

• 2 weeks later...
Well as my name would suggest I am new at this :D , any way

I was thinking about buying a winch bumper for my defender and stumbled across this one

http://www.firstfouroffroad.co.uk/defender...lar_bumpers.htm[/url]

I was wondering if this bumper is a waste of money (it cost £298), and if any one has had an experience with it, or if there is a better winch bumper out there? or if any one has heard any good or bad reviews about it.

Thanks

:D Tom :D

Hi Tom

I have one bumber like that from www.scorpionracing.co.uk EXTREME TUBULAR FRONT WINCH BUMPER.

It's very nice because it mounted very high and don't hang out very much on the front. To fit the winch you have to cut out in the plastic in front. There is differant models out there some of the hang out more or are lower.

Going back to your original question about Firstfour, all I can say is I have dealt with Peter Lamb before and he is top bloke who gives good service.

However, where you get your bumper will be up to you.

Winch bumper profile as raised in posts above is a good point. I went for a Scorpion extreme (non tubular) because apart from being one that my hydraulic winch would fit, it hardly sticks out at all.....very neat.

Edited by John_T

• 2 weeks later...

For bumper options if your in the Southwest try giving Southdown a ring, he will make up ones to order.

ref the tyres, i woul d save your current pennies not buy 235/85s and wait for 255/85s. youcan get them for £99 fitted in North Somerset

secondwhat James says

Don't buy the 235's save and get the 255's they are worlds better and you'll regret the 235's purchase

For ever more as you'll want to sell them when you realise they aren't tall enough.

someone will offer half what you paid etc etc.

save and buy the 255's you won't go wrong then.