Split charge.....batteries.....solonoids?

jcwcooper

Right I decided a while back I was going to enter the mind boggling world of Winches. I have a winch bumper fitted and the next stage is a Split Charge, Im looking into the cheaper options of using the X-Charge or T-max. These both have different ways of going about their jobs not that i understand them particually.

The X-Charge used a HD relay, Are there any advantages or disadvantages of this system i should be aware of? Im not expecting it to be perfect at £40

Second up is the T-Max system this uses a solenoid and also has a display, Has anyone got this system, is it any good......advantages/disadvantages?

Anyone recomend either of the systems?

Next up is a 2nd battery, Ive just bought a Optima Red top and im not terribly impressed with it although it does work. Has anyone used Exides or deka intimedators? Is it worth using a deep cycle for the winch? I Have quite a few things running on my current battery....Twin Fans, Spot lights, Amplifier and someones fitted an air horn in the past so that comes off the battery too I also intend to fit 4 lights on a light bar. Should I run things like the lights off the AUX battery? or just the Winch.

I Have decided on buying either a Superwinch EP9 or a Comeup/GoodWinch DS9.5/TDS9.5 I would like to move the solenoid pack to the wing, I understand you need to use thicker cable if you are mounting it further away so it does not loose power is this correct? Also How do you go about attaching the handset to the solenoid pack

if its tucked away?

Thanks for any help in advance

Dave.

The split charge system I can't help much with other than to say that plenty of people are running the X-Charge without issues...

Mounting the winch solenoids up in the wing is a good plan and something I will be looking into. The bigger the cable the better, IMO, but I am no sparky!!!

As for plugging the handset in, either hard wire an internal control to the cab (I used a bit of 3-core rubberised flex cable and a switch from David Bowyer - at Goodwinch), or remove the socket from the solenoid box, extend the wires and mount it somewhere more convenient. You could even do both for those occasions when you are respooling the rope on your own...

HTH

Adrian

Guest WALFY

FIAMM 096. Used to be sold by a motorfactors in Minehead. They had so many returns they stopped selling them. Last time I was there they had a pallet load sat at the back of the workshop :( . Tony has had no problems with his and I think JST is running the same set up also without problems.

Guest WALFY

I only had 1 fitted and killed that, when it went back under warrenty I recieved another make in return. Didn't seem keen on doing it but did in the end. When I killed my other battery from there they twisted and turned and refused to change under warrenty. As it was costing me a lot in fuel to go and see them everytime it was easier and cheaper to buy a new battery :(

I run 2 x PC1700 Odyseey batteries feed by a 100amp alternator via LR's own split charge relay system, my albright solenoids are fitted in a similar place to white90's on the front left inner wheel arch & 2 remote sockets above each headlight & a Lodar radio remote system.

Guest WALFY
Ian

Told you before. Easier to do mine clearance than veh electrics ;);)

IMG_1697.JPG

Who put that there??

That was some time ago. It's now a tasteful blue. I had more hair then and I'm not so grumpy nowadays :P:P

stumpy005.jpg

At the weekend I took part in the Howlin Wolf challenge round 2, which was a great event. B)

The event was held on one of the most consistently steep sites that I have been to, lots of winching in long runs. On at least one punch I spooled out the whole cable then back in and out and back in again, the most sustained winching I have ever done. I used both front and rear winches at the same time.

I had no charging issues at all, running an X-Eng split charge coupled to one of their new Numax batteries.

DSCN0443.jpg

I should declare that I am sponsored by X-Eng, that doesn't change the performance though! :P

At the weekend I took part in the Howlin Wolf challenge round 2, which was a great event. B)

The event was held on one of the most consistently steep sites that I have been to, lots of winching in long runs. On at least one punch I spooled out the whole cable then back in and out and back in again, the most sustained winching I have ever done. I used both front and rear winches at the same time.

I had no charging issues at all, running an X-Eng split charge coupled to one of their new Numax batteries.

DSCN0443.jpg

I should declare that I am sponsored by X-Eng, that doesn't change the performance though! :P

I'd be interested in more on the Numax battery.

I'm thinking of ordering one to run my fridge.

It's one of the sealed marine ones XV27MF a 100 amp if I remember.

mike

It's an 86Ah, sealed wet-cell battery.

There is a 105Ah version but with lower current - and it doesn't fit in a Defender battery tray! This is from the same series as that, just pitched more at the 4x4 market than marine.

Si

Dear jcwcooper (Dave)

It's good to have members with genuine questions which are of interest to other members.

To gauge the effectiveness of LR4x4 please take a few moments to complete the Customer Satisfaction Survey.

We look forward to you using us again!

Thank you for using the LR 4x4 knowledge base.

Do you recall your recent contact with LR 4x4?

Yes

No

Thinking about your most recent contact, how would you rate the members ability to help you or to get you to someone who could help you? Would you say …

Excellent

Very Good

Good

Fair

Poor

How would you rate the members overall knowledge of your problem or question? Would you say …

Excellent

Very Good

Good

Fair

Poor

And how would you rate the members on being courteous? Would you say …

Excellent

Very Good

Good

Fair

Poor

How would you rate the members on helpfulness, in other words, a willingness to assist you? Would you say …

Excellent

Very Good

Good

Fair

Poor

How would you rate the members on being able to help you resolve your issue/need? Would you say …

Excellent

Very Good

Good

Fair

Poor

Now let's talk about LR 4x4 as a forum. How would you rate LR 4x4 on the length of time it took to find a qualified representative?

Excellent

Very Good

Good

Fair

Poor

Thinking specifically of the International Forum, how would you rate your overall experience during your last contact with them?

Excellent

Very Good

Good

Fair

Poor

Thank you for your time, I assure you it was well spent.

It's an 86Ah, sealed wet-cell battery.

There is a 105Ah version but with lower current - and it doesn't fit in a Defender battery tray! This is from the same series as that, just pitched more at the 4x4 market than marine.

Si

Yes Si it's the 105 I'm getting.

It's the same size as the Elecsol I'm taking out. :o

The battery try is getting removed and a staright sided and bottom one is being fitted....

mike

ps. I've been offered it at 70 quid ..Delivered. Is that a good price ?