Borg Warner Transfer Box Lube

Hi Folks,

i have been reading the thread about engine oil and it got me thinking about lubes. When i changed the viscous coupling in my BW transfer box i looked in my haynes manual and filled it up with 80W EP oil. i have since heard that ATF Dextron II is recommended by ashcroft transmissions. First does anyone if the ATF DII is correct and secondly will dropping the 80W EP oil and flushing, then refilling with ATF leave any long standing problems. Thanks in advance for taking the time out to answer my question.

P.S. Yes i do feel potentialy stupid and up till now i've trusted Haynes :unsure:

Regards

HMNS

:blink: Doh Haynes get it wrong again, definitely need ATF in there, don't know what wrong oil will do but not any good i fear. Get it changed pronto me thinks.

One of many mistakes I think I am still finding LT95s with EP80/90 in them when they take engine oil only !!! So far I have bought 3 all filled with wrong oil, so all have a duff oil pump and knackered bearings !!

:blink: Doh Haynes get it wrong again, definitely need ATF in there, don't know what wrong oil will do but not any good i fear. Get it changed pronto me thinks.

One of many mistakes I think I am still finding LT95s with EP80/90 in them when they take engine oil only !!! So far I have bought 3 all filled with wrong oil, so all have a duff oil pump and knackered bearings !!

Thanks for the info Chris, as you mentioned, i will be changing the oil pronto!! I dont like the sound of a duff pump and bearings as i only did the front o/p bearing and VC a few months ago :huh:

I had to check my Haynes manual several times also. HOwever... i have also read somewhere that earlier boxes had one type of oil and later boxes had the other.

Not sure which way round but either EP90 in the earlier box and ATF in the later, or the other way round. I think you need to identify the type/age of the box first. It may even be in the Haynes - mine has the later supplement section.

RAVE says ATF Dexron IID ATF fluid, I'd go with that!

Looking through my Haynes I can't see the lubricat type specified anywhere, well not specifically the Borg Warner anyhow...

Definitely ATF. It says in the owners handbook in mine. I remember doing it, I had the filler plug out of the transfer box and a 5 litre bottle of ATF and I thought "how the f*ck am I gonna pour that in there?!?" :lol:

Anyway, cut a long story short, I poured it into one of them oil cans with a pump. Not used said pump since, it still has ATF in the bottom, so that's what I used...

Took alot of pumping though! :lol: But luckily I am a complete w@*ker! :lol:

Hi, thanks for the advice. i have changed the oil to ATF and checked the viscous coupling. All seems to be working fine. Since this debacle i have downloaded and printed out one of the LR Workshop manuals, not much ink in the printers at work now :ph34r: so hopeful no more POL disasters!!