rotten disco 1

leigh

Hi, I have a 200tdi disco that failed its mot quite badly, mostly due to rust. the rust is in the usual places - sills, seat belt anchors ect. going on peoples previous experiences, would it be viable to get the work done (I can't weld!) or just sell it for spares/repairs. It cost me £1100 about 8 mounths ago. As far as I can tell, the engine/gearbox/axles seem ok. any thoughts?!

I think you would need to be able to do it yourself for the job to be worthwhile. Of course I haven't seen it, but a while ago when my RRC failed for similar rust the quote was £800 - and when I started it myself I found that it was, oooh maybe 5 times worse than expected... Repairing a rusty Disco or RRC is (IMHO) a labour of love - economically it would probably make more sense to break it and buy another one - this time using your new found knowledge of where to look for rust to find one that is ok. They do exist - I have seen one (unfortunately it wasn't for sale) <_<

ThreeSheds

Anyone know of any good (cheap) places/people for welding in the taunton area. Thought I might get quotes before I put it up for sale - become quite fond of the old shed!

I could give you a number to try if you could get it to Bristol and you are not in a rush?

not the best welder but it would mot.

what exactly is needed? sills, boot floor, inner wings, rear seat belt anchorages?

last year i spent 5 days welding my disco for MOT, sills, rear cross member(floor was done by owner before me)

this year i've just finnished welding, battrie tray,o/s wheel arch, n/s footwell floor and a bit more to the sills.

i used to weld as a living, if you can't weld not the best way to learn on rusty painted metal but saying that welding it up your self is the only way as the cost of getting someone elce is ott.

I know its only a matter of time before my Disco needs some welding doing. 1994 200 Tdi

It has sailed through its last 4 MOTs on bodywork and always gets positive comments from the mechanics there and at my regular LR independent regards its sound state underneath.

The trouble is, if you sell or break your Disco and go armed with the knowledge of where the rust is, you will either give up Landys for life or end up paying a whole lot more because you have found such a good example of a very low rusted model.

Personally, if I was faced with welding work required I would have a go myself.

It's not rocket science and is actually fairly easy.

Now before all the skilled welders start kicking off, :angry: I can say that as I used to work with 6 coded welders who were capable of welding anything anywhere.

One used to weld oil pipelines under sea, two welded on gas and oil riggs, one welded tankers and one used to weld in a ship yard and one used to work for a company on stainless and ally work.

I was only a labourer but always keen to learn and help out when given the chance.

Between these guys they taught me how to weld and not just "blobs of snot" as they called it, but weld runs that looked like rows of coins knocked over on their side over lapping each other, which was always their target.

I know there is a massive difference between their worst welds and my best welds but then again on some straight forward jobs the work was equal.

I know my limit and would not entertain welding something high spec like they did but I would definitely attempt repairing my Disco.

Get yourself a welder, and practise over and over and over, and then some more so you are happy with the work you are turning out.

Experiment with the settings and try and understand what the different adjustments mean to the speed or depth of the weld and the quality of the weld itself to the metal around it.

Any skilled welder if being honest would agree it's not hard, its like anything else, it takes lots of practise to become good and fast which you need to be to earn a living from doing it which you are not.

Then take your time and go for it!

Once you have your new found skill you will have a mint ball motor! ;)

when i bought my disco i never had a proper look, i was very excited. in the weeks after i replaced the nearside inner wing. and parts next to that. and most of the nearside sill and a little bit of floor section. im not a welder but i gave it my best shot. the disco failed its m,o,t test on a dodgy light bulb at the back. B) give it a go and if it doesn't pass you can still break it. what have you got to lose.. ?