well thats one weak ass gearbox

white90

:huh:

Ouuuuuuch!

As someone considering buying a Freelander I would be extremely interested in finding out which model that was.

I read in the Freelander Forum that the TD4 gearboxes were made of cheese, I think this proves it.

Except that the car in the video is a Jeep...now the big picture of the moon has gone (or was that just my machine playing silly b****rs? Maybe the jeep is a figment of it's imagination too...I'm off for a lie down before I get too paranoid! :blink: ).

Except that the car in the video is a Jeep...now the big picture of the moon has gone (or was that just my machine playing silly b****rs? Maybe the jeep is a figment of it's imagination too...I'm off for a lie down before I get too paranoid! :blink: ).

Was wondering where the Moon bit came from !!! :blink::huh: ,, Must be you machine Geoff

Yep,, looks more like a Jeep to me,, rather than a Freelander !!!

Rocket,, the othet half has had a few TD4's both low & high miler's, to 130k odd,, never any bother with gearbox's,, :)

:huh:

Ouuuuuuch!

As someone considering buying a Freelander I would be extremely interested in finding out which model that was.

I read in the Freelander Forum that the TD4 gearboxes were made of cheese, I think this proves it.

that's right, camembert. you should be looking for one made from gruyere or parmesan.

Rocket,, the othet half has had a few TD4's both low & high miler's, to 130k odd,, never any bother with gearbox's,, :)

Yep that may well be the case but road miles are soft on a gear box it is refuring to when you begin to push them hard they give out much more easily that the old montego box the older freelanders have.

My 1.8 has never blown a gear box in 35K Racer

my Td4 5.5k blow its first box racer

I liked the look of these vehicles but I now fear they are a bit to soft

HERE

I have a 04 Cherokee 2.8CRD Ltd as the daily hack and to be honest I will probably buy another when this one gets pensioned off next year. For what you get these motors are cheap :) …… Start at 18K and the top of the range is 24K. Size wise they sit between a freebie and a Disco

The VM 2.8 pulls like a train……….. developing 160+ bhp and 400Nm (295 lb/ft) of torque in its standard form. However, the fuel consumption is nothing special …….. 20 - 22mpg around town and 26 -28mpg on a run. Another down side is the servicing costs ……. £250ish every 12K and £650ish at every 24K, however, Carrs of Exeter have been superb as a main dealer ……. Shatford :angry: could certainly learn a few lessons from them !!

This year my son followed us down through France in his 318 beamer …….we were both loaded with all the holiday kit including mountain bikes etc, and on every hill I pulled away from him (not intentionally), generally the auto box hung on to overdrive !. First thing he did on return to the UK was sell the Beamer !!

I have seen that Video before (from the Liberty forum on Rockcrawler.com) and this to me is one of the few ‘bad design’ points of the motor. The engine & Gearbox (the auto box is the bombproof Chrysler) are protected as standard by a 3mm steel plate that starts just behind the front bumper and ends just before the transfer box. So, not only is the transfer box unprotected (not true , it does have a tiny skid plate) it also is right in the centre of the car with regards to the ramp over angle. The bit the guy ripped out was the Transfer box …….. but the speed was also a bit on the high side :blink: !!. This is easy to protect with many aftermarket skid plates available. Also the centre box of the exhaust sits beside the transfer box and is also vunerable.

The reliability of mine has been excellent ……50K with just routine servicing, although at the 36K service Carrs picked up a small amount of play on one of the front lower ball joints so they replaced both lower arms under warranty. Before you guys ask …. yes, I have used it off road both here in the UK and in France. When ythe 90 was ill (head gasket) during the summer, I used the CRD a couple of times for shooting up at the farm…….. there are one or two areas where I thought it would struggle …… steep (note: very steep) grass covered rutted slopes and 'the swamp'…… but the car performed OK ….. its on Kumo AT’s

The only mistake I made was loading it with extras like heated leather seats etc etc……… these are very hard and not overly comfortable on very long journeys …….. next time I will stick with the standard velour seats ……. these are very comfortable. The other bad point is the wipers …….. to turn them on you have to switch through about 7 stages of intermittent wipe.

There are some good pictures on this forum of the Cherokees on the rock trails,

Calico Rockcrawler 1

KJ Moab - Rockcrawler

Ian

I have a 04 Cherokee 2.8CRD Ltd as the daily hack

:ph34r: Me too, though an 04 2.5CRD Ltd here. :ph34r:

and to be honest I will probably buy another when this one gets pensioned off next year.
The reliability of mine has been excellent

Both excellent to hear, I need something reliable as no-car = no-work = no=pay :o

I've got the heated leather seats also and they're quite comfy I find, although that could be the extra "padding" I'm carrying these days. :blink:

Overall, it's a nice place to be... interior looks ok in black (the plastics are horribly cheap and look their worst in that minging beige that the 4x4 manufacturers seem to think that people like), build quality seems ok (no rattles or squeeks, unlike my mates 55 Freelander Sport which, at three months old, was driving him crazy - dealer, as usual, was uninterested and offered to "take it off your hands" for 5 grand less than he'd paid for it! ) and the ride is comfy enough. My 2.5 manual seems to be returning about 28mpg at the mo on the work run which is half stop'n'go, half expressway... although for the extra lazy-factor I'm wishing I'd gone for an auto :P

Edited by Fishd

Yep, the auto is very nice and my next will definitely be another auto ;) . Manual is sooooooooo last year :lol::lol:

The leather seats I just cannot get on with ……. easy to keep clean etc etc ,and the heating is nice but I find them to be very hard on longer journeys :angry: .

Although I bought it for use as my ‘work’ car ………. to use it I have to pry the keys away from the wife ……

Another area of concern was that the air intake is just above the o/s headlight, however, I have driven (cautiously) through almost headlight deep water with no ill effects.

Jeep seemto have got this one right ….. perhaps that’s cos its built in Austria.

Ian

Lets get back to the point :P

this ones gearbox was made from cream cheese

Eugenio from j33p had one and blew the front diff in Fance in the snow seemingly very easily.

the body shape is appealing but the rest leaves a lot to be desired IMHO.

ps don't VM make boat engines?

Lets get back to the point :P

this ones gearbox was made from cream cheese

No, to be accurate the transfer box is made of cream cheese :P

ps don't VM make boat engines?

They also made RR engines :rolleyes:

IMHO its ugly but less ugly than the Freebie ;) and not a patch on the look of the LR3. However, nothing can beat the Pathfinder for being real ugly :lol::lol:

Ian

Thanks for pointing out my obvious mistake Ian :D

The RR with VM were POS also IIRC

I disagree with the ugly quote though I think they look good.

I'm unfamiliar with a Pathfinder unless you are reffering to those bobblehats again.

I know what they look like unfortunatley :P

Edited by white90

Thanks for pointing out my obvious mistake Ian :D

The RR with VM were POS also IIRC

True, how very true ................. although very reliable to date ..... its gonna go before the warranty runs out :D

The wife quite likes the look of the renegade edition with those cheap looking roof lights and bling chrome bits .......... not so sure myself ...........but will I get any say in it ........ probably not :lol:

The Pathfinder is the newest of the Nissan family …..yuck

Ian

My Mum's got a 2.5CRD. I find the performance lacklustre, the interior horribly cheap and the car is big on the outside, small on the inside. Mother, however, loves it and bought another when the first disintegrated after someone drove into it.

However, it's back in the dealership AGAIN at the moment after I (foolishly) used it in 4WD to do some towing in a field; it won't disengage now. At least while its there they can fix the squeaking rear brakes. And the buzzy rattle at 55mph. And the loose trim on the n/s passenger door. And ...

As I said though, it was bought for Mum and she loves it. Nuff said, really.