Fitting Stuan beadlocks, how hard are they !!!!

Boothy

Just put a set of five Stuans onto Mach 5 rims, brand new tubes and using 11.5x35x16's Simex's,

I feel like i've wrestled an eight foot Aligator full of whizz, with an attitude who thinks I skinned his dad, I'm knackered.

I did not use tyre soap for obvious reasons, but I did use Imperial leather talc, so they smell beautifull.

Used tyre levers and a fitting machine and loads of blocks of wood to hold the tyre up slightly whilst tring to skin the backs of my hands putting the Staun in the tyre.

There must be a simpler way of doing these devils, Alan Kemp was heard to say earlier chuck em and get some bolt on beadlocks, rich from the bloke who sold them to me.

Whats your experience's?

Nige,

Thats exactly the same comment as the guy in the local Spar shop said when I bought a load cans of beer and some talc please, "any particular talc sir" he asked,

"no, its only to help getting the rubbers on mate, its not so easy this weather",

"oh, I see sir"

Just put a set of five Stuans onto Mach 5 rims, brand new tubes and using 11.5x35x16's Simex's,

I feel like i've wrestled an eight foot Aligator full of whizz, with an attitude who thinks I skinned his dad, I'm knackered.

I did not use tyre soap for obvious reasons, but I did use Imperial leather talc, so they smell beautifull.

Used tyre levers and a fitting machine and loads of blocks of wood to hold the tyre up slightly whilst tring to skin the backs of my hands putting the Staun in the tyre.

There must be a simpler way of doing these devils, Alan Kemp was heard to say earlier chuck em and get some bolt on beadlocks, rich from the bloke who sold them to me.

Whats your experience's?

It is a bit long winded and my explaination may be difficult to follow but this is my experience with pneumatic beadlocks.

Fitting them (I've fitted about 20 wheels) is difficult enough. Knowing that the beadlock tube cover sleeve is correctly centred around the bead seat of the wheel rim after inflation is virtually impossible until the tyre/ wheel has survived a couple of days of offroading without tube failure.

The ''well'' of a wheel rim is what makes it possible to fit the tyre over it. You push one section of the tyre bead into the well which gives enough latitude to lever the rest of the tyre over the bead flange . When fitting Staun type internal beadlocks it matters not how meticulous you have been in fitting up the inner tube and beadlock cover sleeve, making sure everything is square and concentric, you still have to upset all that when levering the tyres outer bead over the flange. That is one side of the tyre bead must be pushed offcentre into the rims well so that the rest of the bead can be levered/ hammered over.Pushing the tyre bead offcentre into the well also pushes the beadlock cover sleeve offcentre, and once the tyre is fully fitted over the rim it is extremely difficult to check thesleeve for concenticity before inflating.What seems to happen all too often, not only for me but for dozens of others (check similar threads on Pirate)is that a section of the sleeve gets trapped in the well allowing a portion of the tube to inflate between beaded edging of the sleeve and tyre carcase, where it chafes away after a bit of tyre flexing, particulrly when running low tyre pressure off road.

I think the principal is more suited to the old Austin Champ 2 piece bolt together ''divided'' military style wheel rims than for conventional one piece deep well rims.

Bill.

Nige,

Thats exactly the same comment as the guy in the local Spar shop said when I bought a load cans of beer and some talc please, "any particular talc sir" he asked,

"no, its only to help getting the rubbers on mate, its not so easy this weather",

"oh, I see sir"

Oh FFS

I now have visions of you minceing out of the shop whistling 'dixie' with one hand on your hip :rofl:

Nige

Oh FFS

I now have visions of you minceing out of the shop whistling 'dixie' with one hand on your hip :rofl:

Nige

OT but I've got a good story involving a friend who brought aftersun with self tan on a trip to the Le Mans 24hr race a couple of years ago. He claimed he'd borrowed it from his girlfriend an hadn't noticed. Yeah right... ;)

I've spoken to a few people who've fitted these and they do seem a bit fiddly but, as with all things like this, there's a knack to doing it. Bill's description seems a good way of doing it, though.

P.S. Alan Kemp's right, get bolt up beadlocks :P