Ally wheels on a 90

Hi all. I've got the chance to buy a 90, on a 'T' plate, in good nick at a good price. I was wondering if there's more to swapping the wheels/tyres to something like the allys on my Disco. I've seen plenty of 90's with ally wheels and bigger tyres and like the look but dont know if its as simple as one off, one on, so to speak. I've looked through the various tech forums but haven't seen a mention of an 'upgrade/swap'. Any info welcom.

Cheers

Rob

as your 90 will have rear disc brakes, you can fit alloys to it without any worries, but please ensure the alloys you fit are able to cope with the 90's maximum gross weight. don't want you or the 90 to come to any harm.

Also, make sure the wheels you get have the correct PCD - defender/disco1/rrc are all the same, but i believe P38/D2/newRR/D3 are different.

Your senses are correct young padawan.

Steve ;)

btw, there's a new Boost look like available in 18" with the correct PCD for the Defender if you want the big wheel look.

Thanks guys, raises a few questions!

Landyman, yes, I fell foul of that once before, I bought a set of nearly new tires on nice allys off a guy with a P38 (very,very good price and worth the drive Brighton to Birmingham!) and when I went to fit them to my previous Disco 1....oops, with more than a few swear words thrown in! :blink: Ended up doing a refurb on the original, very tatty, wheels (they looked new almost two years later(!) and the secret is clearly in the number of paint/lacquer layers) and swopping tires.

Western, thanks, that fills in a knowledge gap (novice here! and viewing the 90 properly this week prior to the bid). Didn't think it'd weigh more than a Disco though! Still doing the reseach.

SMO, I'll start checking the web, not familiar with the type but thanks.

SteveG, cheers mate, I'm not sure how big I want it to go, just yet, I think I'll trawl the site and see what you other guys have done and weigh up what I want to do with the 90 and choose the level of mods against my lack of knowledge!! (but tempered with my willingness to learn and this is definitely the place!)

Cheers

Rob

as your 90 will have rear disc brakes, you can fit alloys to it without any worries, but please ensure the alloys you fit are able to cope with the 90's maximum gross weight. don't want you or the 90 to come to any harm.

Hi, when you say "it will have rear disc brakes you can fit alloys without any worries" do you mean that the drums get in the way or something more sinister re heat from the drums stopping the fitting of alloys. I'm thinking of eventually fitting aloys to my 90 that has drums, but already have a RR rear axle to put on if i decide to fit it.

Hi, when you say "it will have rear disc brakes you can fit alloys without any worries" do you mean that the drums get in the way or something more sinister re heat from the drums stopping the fitting of alloys. I'm thinking of eventually fitting aloys to my 90 that has drums, but already have a RR rear axle to put on if i decide to fit it.

land rovers with rear drum brakes have a diffrent hub and most(if not all alloy wheels) foul the hubs so dont fit without some modifing.

one reason alot of people put disco1 axles on older 90's

I fell foul of that once before, I bought a set of nearly new tires on nice allys off a guy with a P38 (very,very good price and worth the drive Brighton to Birmingham!)

Thats why they were always cheap :lol: I used to get loads of cheap 16" wheels and tyres for my P38 as no one wanted them.