Cleaning engine parts!

V8david

Need a decent method of cleaning things like the timing cover, rocker covers etc, and getting stubborn old gaskets off. Is there anything I can dip them in over night and come back in the morning to find them looking brand new? :lol:

O, and can you recommend a supplier for a new distributor cap/rotor arm? I have a 3.5 Efi.

Cheers, think that's all for now!

Regarding the dizzy cap and rotor arm, i have been after some 'genuine' one's. the rotor arm i got from famous four seems to be the real deal, but the dizzy cap seems odd, it came in a Lucas box but the cap is black without any lucus details like the one i'm currently using. Can anybody confirm that if its advertised as a lucas and come in a lucas box and is black its ok even if its missing the lucas detailing?

I recently restored my 300TDi engine - including cleaning and painting the alloy parts.

I first cleaned the heavy muck off with a wire brush, scraper, and petrol, then I used a wire brush in an electric drill to remove ingrained dirt and oxidisation. I then rinsed it with brakes and clutch cleaner to de-grease and then a couple of coats of '5-Wheel Silver' paint. Brake a nd clutch cleaner is very good, but it evaporates really quickly and is quite expensive. You can use petrol, parrafin, cellulose thinners, white sprit, etc initially, but the final clean must be done with something that leaves no oil traces if you are going to paint, so brake cleaner, acetone, cellulose thinners. Watch out for fumes from these though or you'll find yourself in La-La land :P

Very dirty -

gallery_2_416_536203.jpg

After cleaning with petrol/scraper

gallery_2_416_1282449.jpg

Wire brushes in an electric drill -

gallery_2_416_978363.jpg

Rinsed with brake and clutch cleaner, then a couple of coats of 5-Wheel Silver.

gallery_2_416_494779.jpg

With some patience you can do all the alloy components this way.

gallery_2_416_970692.jpg

gallery_2_416_482699.jpg

gallery_2_416_1004977.jpg

gallery_2_416_1290644.jpg

I've always removed old gaskets with a stanley blade/paint scraper/etc or very carefully with a wire brush in an electric drill. You have to be very careful not to damage the underlying alloy though. I've never tried Loctite 7200.

Les.

Hi Nut Strangler -

I bought my Disty' cap from Famous Four and came in a Lucas box, it is Black with no markings as yours is - I haven't thought anything about it as it seems to b o.k. The original cap was Blue which i have kept.

Lucas was bought out/sold off a few years back so it may be why the cap has changed?

Original equipment caps have indeed changed colour from blue to black, no idea why, but probably financial reasons :unsure:

Dingocroft stock the genuine parts, should you still struggle to get hold of them, just sit down before you as ANYONE the price of the rotor arm! :lol:

To free up some of the grease and gunk when I was rebuilding a V8 I used a spray can of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner. It foams up like a mousse and then leave it for a bit, give it a scrub and a rinse and it removed heaps of crud.