worrying development

So the truck is starting to develop a character of it's own!

Sometimes when coming of the gas pedal the engine decides that it wants run away which is accompanied by an almighty knocking from what I assume is the bearings getting hammered and a smoke screen out the back. :blink:

I thought this might be down to oil getting into the inlet manifold via the crank case breather or condensate in the air feed to the turbo. I have thoroughly cleaned the hose between the air filter can and the turbo but it still happens. Sometimes it is just a blip but other times it almost runs onto destruction.

It happened a couple of times in the first two weeks I had the truck but seems to be getting more often. Is there any other way that oil can be getting into the inlet manifold or could this be an injector/injector pump fault? I'm wondering whether it is worth spending time and money on the 19J or just bringing forward the anticipated 200Tdi transplan

Try changing the fuel filter, and air filter.

Check the turbo oil feed pipes.

Could be something in the turbo about to go, I don't have enough tea in me this morning to think clearly but I dimly recall there being a seal in the turbo that can go and leak oil into the intake with obvious results.

Time to do the tdi.

G.

If the turbo seal lets go it will race to destruction terminally. Discussions on another forum pointed to the pipe between the turbo and injector pump that is supposed to increase fuelling as boost increases. Sometimes if there is a fault diesel gets into this line and is fed in to the turbo.

So the truck is starting to develop a character of it's own!

Sometimes when coming of the gas pedal the engine decides that it wants run away which is accompanied by an almighty knocking from what I assume is the bearings getting hammered and a smoke screen out the back. :blink:

I thought this might be down to oil getting into the inlet manifold via the crank case breather or condensate in the air feed to the turbo. I have thoroughly cleaned the hose between the air filter can and the turbo but it still happens. Sometimes it is just a blip but other times it almost runs onto destruction.

It happened a couple of times in the first two weeks I had the truck but seems to be getting more often. Is there any other way that oil can be getting into the inlet manifold or could this be an injector/injector pump fault? I'm wondering whether it is worth spending time and money on the 19J or just bringing forward the anticipated 200Tdi transplan

Could also try disconnecting the engine breather pipe that goes to the air filter for a try.

Sounds like it's starting to run on it's own engine oil. You said you cleaned the hose from the air cleaner to the turbo. How oily was it, was the air cleaner element soaked in oil? If you take the oil filler cap off when it's running does it chuck out smoke from the rocker box? You will also need to take off the elbow from the turbo to the inlet manifold and take a look in there. If the turbo seals have gone it will be soaked in oil.

Thanks all for the input, sorry for the delay have been away over the weekend :unsure:

looks like funding is well short for the Tdi conversion for the forseeable future so parted with eighty notes for a spare lump - just happens to come with a 20k old turbo plus a power steering pump that might replace the leaky one I have at the moment. Lift pump and alternator missing but might be able to use some other bits aswell ;) .

stobbie - thanks for the revelation, will be checking this tomorrow. Would this also explain smoky starts? Looks like the cover is tucked down behind the injection pump, is it tricky to get off?

pat-pending - the filter housing is pretty clean, only just replaced the filter which was oil free and the filter to turbo pipe was a bit gunky but not enough to feed the engine. I haven't had time to strip the other hoses yet. Will check the filler cap with the engine running tomorrow.

I'll have a play tomorrow over lunch and see what I can find.

stobbie - thanks for the revelation, will be checking this tomorrow. Would this also explain smoky starts? Looks like the cover is tucked down behind the injection pump, is it tricky to get off?

Yes, this can cause white\grey smoke during starts. Diesel will be sucked into the turbo when this membrane is leaking.

The cover is easy to remove...

Well,

managed to get a secondhand lump with all the necessary bits still attached. Replaced the membrane - the original was well shot with a tear around about 30% of the circumfrence - good call stobbie :i-m_so_happy: , also replaced fuel filter (and had a sod of a job bleeding fuel system!).

When I got it running there seemed to be more smoke on start up than usual and the idle is very rough - it also ran away a couple of times, although I have now put this down to stray fuel getting up the boost line to the turbo and it hasn't happend on my run into work today - I will be changing the turbo if this continues happening.

I have fitted the glow plugs from the donor lump to see if that helped but to no avail - still loads of deisel smelling smoke until the engine is good and hot.

I'm wondering if the injection pump timing needs adjusting now that the engine isn't breathing fuel via the turbo, Or is this a sign of something more serious?

On the up side the truck goes like stink now! - although this could be somethiong to do with changing from mud tyres to 205/16's :lol: