Front and Rear Diffs

rjblank

Is there a difference between the front and rear diffs for a Series 3? Are they interchangable?

Yes,so long as the cases look the same they are completely interchangable.

Unless you had the same previous owner that I did who thought it would be

perfectly acceptable to swop just the rear one for a Range Rover unit.

It was very interesting in four wheel drive.

Ray,

Yes they are interchangeable, but you'll have the pleasure of new high pitched noise from the axles.

For example, if you put a front diff in the rear, the wear pattern on the gears won't be the same and she's going to howl when you let off the gas pedal. Strangly, under acceleration there is no noise. So it's my suggestion that it is wise to keep to the same diff for the same axle. front/front and rear/rear. OR use diffs that you know are of low mileage.

Todd.

Ray,

Yes they are interchangeable, but you'll have the pleasure of new high pitched noise from the axles.

For example, if you put a front diff in the rear, the wear pattern on the gears won't be the same and she's going to howl when you let off the gas pedal. Strangly, under acceleration there is no noise. So it's my suggestion that it is wise to keep to the same diff for the same axle. front/front and rear/rear. OR use diffs that you know are of low mileage.

Todd.

unless you have sailisbury rear axle ie LWB but it will be obvious they dont fit

unless you have sailisbury rear axle ie LWB but it will be obvious they dont fit

HAHAHHAHA,

I thought it was obvious what Ray was talking about and what he has for a vehicle.

ROVER TYPE AXLES. ;)

Todd.

Ray,

Todd.

Putting a front diff in the rear or vice versa shouldn't make things any noisier. A front diff drives on the opposite side of the gear teeth to a rear diff, so when putting it in back it will be driving on relatively unworn side of the gear teeth and if it is in good condition and was correctly set up when new should be just as quiet as a new one.

Bill.

Would it help to fit the rear wheels to the front !!

Only if you fit them inside out and upside down. With 5 stud wheels you cannot refit the wheels exactly upside down, so for every 4 revolutions going forward they will roll one revolution backwards. To overcome this you can fit 6 stud Toyota axles.

bill.