Hi lift jack mounting on front bumper

I have decided not to manufacture a bracket to mount a Hi Lift on my rack, and instead mount it on the front bumper.

My garage think that a Anti Luce catch would be great, but can I not use one of the mounting brackets made by Hi Lift instead???

I see that there are 2 different types of bracket. What is the difference between the 2, I cant seem to work out what the differences are from pictures on the web. Scrapirons website says that one of them is supposed to be for vertical mounts and the other for horizontal, but I have seen both brackets being used for both vertical & horizontal (i think).

What have you guys used to mount on the bumper???

Oh, its going on the front FACE of the bumper, not the top. Would this be OK do you think??

Martin

Unless you put a cover on it, it's going to regularly get covered in carp. Not good for safe operation of a Hi-Lift.

You'll also possibly fall foul of vehicle and pedestrian safety law that prevents people from putting horse and dog mascots (each to their own ;) ) on their bonnets.

Like having a rope wrapped round your bumper, looks good for the "I've explored Africa" look, but not much use.

Cheers

Steve :P

Mine sits on the top of the front bumper

file0003ow8.th.jpg

This is the drawings of the brackets

img15776ec.th.jpg

An old picture of my Defender showing the jack on the bumper.

Any help ??

I used to wrap the workings in a pieces of old groundshhet.

Now I have a proper cover from Frontrunner.

Yes Steve it's been to Africa like that and the jack still works........

mike

Not overly concerned with looks! As I actually AM going to explore Africa, I dont need ropes & stuff to make me pretend to look cooler!!

What are these laws then? Is it something specific you mean, or were you generally speaking about pedestrian safety??

Mike, what are your thoughts on using "proper" Hi Lift mounts in that position???

Martin

I picked those brackets up at Donington show years ago.

When I tried them on the front bumper I thought " I'll get pulled with these" they stood out that far. Also they held the jack in place with wing nuts on a stud. there were also a bar to fit lights to.

SO...

I cut the studs off. I cut the light mounting bit off.

I had a nut welded to the back. Drilled the brackets to take a padlock.

The bolts that hold the jack in place are Land Rover bonnet mounting wheel bolts. 19mm thread with a wheelbrace size head. Very expensive but I can take the jack off using a wheelbrace, simple.

I found the heads of the bolts sat inside the jack stem. I didn't like that. I tried packing washers, then thought about using a nut under the bolt head. That works a treat.

I wouldn't be fitting the jack in the front of the bumper. Too easily damaged I would think if you hit anything.

Well the jacks been there since 2004. Noby has yet complained. Maybe they haven't even noticed it there.

I can do a couple of close up pics in the morning if you'd like me to.

mike

As I actually AM going to explore Africa

Has the Pyrenees moved then, Martin ? ;)

Actually Mr. G is quite correct, that's probably the worst place you can put for collecting crud, the first time you need it, it will let you down. It will probably go up but when you come to lower it, it won't go down. That's not a lot of good. If you are putting it anywhere outside then buy a cover for it.

Mike, not a criticism of your choice of location but an opinion borne of experience.

Mo

I would never mount a high lift jack anywhere except on a roof rack on the outside of a vehicle, and I don't even like them there as they go rusty and seize up, though not as quickly as one that is full of mud from using a vehicle on unsurfaced roads! Front bumper, back end, doesn't matter it will still get plastered in poo. They are grumpy enough things to use when they are kept in the warm and dry!

Has the Pyrenees moved then, Martin ? ;)

Actually Mr. G is quite correct, that's probably the worst place you can put for collecting crud, the first time you need it, it will let you down. It will probably go up but when you come to lower it, it won't go down. That's not a lot of good. If you are putting it anywhere outside then buy a cover for it.

Mike, not a criticism of your choice of location but an opinion borne of experience.

Mo

As I said I cover the mechanics......

I oil and check before each trip.

The roof is not an option

1 The rack is already loaded to over the 75kg UK limit and into the 150kg ZA limit.

2 I can't lift it off the rack.

The back isn't an option. Sand and dust get everywhere at the back, a lot more so than at the front. In fact the front stays clean of dust. Mud would be a problem buy I don't see a lot of that :rolleyes:

It acts as a bull bar :blink::blink:

I'm always open to suggestions but there is nowhere else on my Defender to fit it. Sort of Hobsons choice.

The Frontrunner cover is brilliant. Can you buy them here ?? Only a tenner.

mike

I've been driving around with my high-lift mounted on the front above the bumper and whinch and I do think this i the best place to fit it.

On the roofrack, way to heavy on one side, difficult to lift mount / take off due to weight.

On the back, will collect way to much dirt, dust etc.

Will try to post a more detailed image.

purroscbvR.jpg

It's blocking the lights a little bit but no problem in Africa.

Cheers

Marco

Never mand the jack position

What a georgeos series three.

Yes it's the normal position on game and other vehicles in Africa to hang it on the bullbar.

mike

Thanks for the compliment!

The 2nd image is 1994 still fresh & spanky and no winch fitted. The brown one (LR Arizona Tan, carefully picked shade for Namibia) is 1999. The vehicle has had a few lives but does not exist anymore as on the images, I've sold it off last year to someone else (who is actually advertising it at the moment).

That particular high lift jack is still with me, over the years they get better and better!

Here you are Martin

dsc00107ov7.th.jpg

General view. I have the jack as far back as possible.

dsc00108jf2.th.jpg

Monunting on left of vehicle.

Notice the tank tape on the padlock.

dsc00109ii4.th.jpg

Right side.

The foot does cover a bity of the bottom of the headlight. As it doesn't cover the top bit it doesn't harm the dip beam. I've not noticed any difference on main beam. That's the Frontrunner jack cover.

HTH

mike

Look's like a machine gun to me..... Might raise some questions at a road block in Africa (if not yet gunned down...)

As long as it's waterproof that box should be an excellent protection. Bit to much slick Defender 2007 style IMO....

Righty-o, thanks for the replies kind Sirs.

I cannot mount at the back (I got slapped last time I tried ;) ), as I have a ladder on the left, and it will bash against my spare wheel when I open the door if I put it on the right. I dont have a swingaway spare wheel carrier, so cant incorporate a jack into that.

I dont want to get rid of my A-bar, as I do quite like my lights in that position, and I do use them all the time.

I cant mount it inside across the bulkhead because, as some of you know, I designed those drawers awhile ago, and the interior space will be pretty much taken up with cargo boxes.

This pretty much leaves me with the front bumper as an only option, as far as I can see. I called Anton at OEC (very top bloke BTW) and the 4xRAC will fit on a standard bumper quite nicely, and stand out about 3 inches.

Mike, cheers for the pictures. That Front Runner bag does look the dogs danglies too.

Any other ideas or suggestions???

Martin

This pretty much leaves me with the front bumper as an only option, as far as I can see. I called Anton at OEC (very top bloke BTW) and the 4xRAC will fit on a standard bumper quite nicely, and stand out about 3 inches.

Hello Martin

Just a note of warning. This will do wonders for your approach angle. Not so great when crossing ditches and getting in and out of river crossings. Depends on how severe you plan to off road when in Africa.

Thanks

Steve

Depends on how severe you plan to off road when in Africa.

Hey Steve,

I dont "plan" on any particular severe off-roading, other than the day-to-day stuff, and getting off the beaten track whilst sight-seeing. As I am away for about a year, time is hardly an issue, so I could just remove the jack as & when, if I run into an especially tricky bit where I would need every bit of my approach angle.

Thanks

Martin