Hi lift jack mounting on front bumper

KY jelly & mounting at the rear?! Mo, is there something you would like to tell us??!

Don't be shy Martin, we're all men here ;):D

Why else would I benefit from a swing-out? Maybe its something I ought to consider??

To save your rear door from being broken apart by the weight of the spare wheel on rough African roads and all the attendant problems that that will produce. :(

Mo

Mo. I said earlier that for years I used a bit of old groundsheet held in place with a bungee cord.

The new cover comes from Frontrunner..... You have to fit the cover to the jack from the top.

Yup and a tailored cover will do a far better job of keeping the dust out than that piece of much loved tarp too, I'll bet ! Good idea Mike :)

Mo

Don't be shy Martin, we're all men here ;):D

To save your rear door from being broken apart by the weight of the spare wheel on rough African roads and all the attendant problems that that will produce. :(

Mo

Believe me that rear door will break up on some of those roads.

Not only but also I stand on my rear spare wheel to get at stuff in the top box.

In the wet the spare wheel cover gets slippery so I made this....

dsc00015yl2.th.jpg

dsc00014cy0.th.jpg

Shewing the underside with the plate to try to make it level.

dsc00013yo4.th.jpg

I have a Mantec spare wheel carrier. It takes my weight as well as the spare wheel.

I had to take the cover off the spare. Inside was half of Namibia and the CKGR........

mike

Thanks Mo

You see at Base 4 in Joberg I saw this Discovery...It had steps up the side of the spare wheel. I thought "what a good idea"

The next morning I slipped on the spare wheel while loading...

This is the result of seeing that Discovery.

Mo...Have you not seen most of the pics and things I've done to my truck ???

mike

If you are going to keep the jack mounted on the front of the bumper I'd inform your insurance company. If you are involved in a collision the other party may claim the damage was made worse by the jack. Your insurance co will then claim they were not informed and will refuse to pay out. If a person is injured in the collision the police will attend and report it. The report will then be sent to the crown prosecution service who will read it and decide if any offences have been committed and whether to prosecute. Like you said "What's the difference between the jack and a winch?"....My winch has been declaired to my insurance co. You could always carry a bottle jack or something simular whilst in the UK and put the hi lift back on for your travels. I know this may sound ott but the last thing you would need after a serious crash is the police and insurance co coming down on you, especialy in this day and age where you could be looking at paying for medical care/loss of earnings going into seven figures....The ultimate choice is yours but think long and hard before making your final decision... Because when you need it the police won't just look the other way.... :(

Hi,

Interesting reading this is making, apologies for changing the subject slightly but I'm interested in the law side of this and how I can find some more info on it? Would an insurance company make a decision on whether it would cause more damage and then increase your premium? Would the police have the final say in what is safe and what is not and would you have to take it somewhere to have it checked (Similar to an SVA test (Think thats the right thing!))

I'm only asking because some military Land Rovers have the spare wheel mounted on the front bumper like a battering ram!?!?!? One of these bumpers recently came up on Ebay and I was wondering how the law would view this which stopped me bidding in the end.

I like the look of the high lift on the front although mine is mounted on a North Off Road wheel carrier, I also have a problem that I now have a soft top from Exmoor trim and the brackets are in the way of the hood. I can't see any way round it at the moment other than to reside myself to the fact that if I leave it on the brackets are going to rub the hood and I'm going to have to replace the hood probably sooner than if the brackets weren't there!!! Don't suppose someone has come across this problem before and found a solution?

Haven't got an exact pic of what I mean so I've robbed one of the internet, any help would be much appreciated:

post-4763-1214315804_thumb.jpg

I'm interested in the law side of this and how I can find some more info on it? Would an insurance company make a decision on whether it would cause more damage and then increase your premium? Would the police have the final say in what is safe and what is not and would you have to take it somewhere to have it checked (Similar to an SVA test (Think thats the right thing!))

Start with the 'Construction and use' regulations. An insurance company will make an increase in premium for anything that they think increases their risk. If you do not tell them and they later find out, you will not be covered.

The court (Judge or jury) will have the final say on what is illegal. The police will do their best to enforce the law, as they see it, up to the point where they can be bothered or have the time, resources or inclination to do the paperwork. In most cases the paperwork exceeds the rewards and you will get a a warning. The police do not decide the law, in many/most cases they do not even know the law.

If you have read the C+U regs and cannot be sure then I guess you need to contact VOSA/Vehicle inspectorate who will make a decision for you - which I guess could be your defence in court should you ever injure someone.

Chris

The court (Judge or jury) will have the final say on what is illegal.

Chris

Good post Chris .......................... however, if there is no binding or persuasive precedent (reference case in a similar or higher court) and if you decided to pursue the matter then ultimately it is the law lords that would have the final decision on legality .........

:)

Ian

ultimately it is the law lords that would have the final decision on legality .........

Yup, I thought that as I was typing it but decided that it was merely the 'Highest court in the land' and the law Lords count (IMHO) as judges...

Back to jack mountings, I saw this one at the weekend and decided I should share it with you all. Sorry that the bonnet is open, I was just too slow with the camera (mobile). I guess that this would make you a very cautious driver.... :)

post-209-1214322800_thumb.jpg

Chris