Hi lift jack mounting on front bumper

There is absolutely no reason to "hammer" the mechanism. Observe how the mechanism works. By using the lever there is no force acting upon the spring mechanism which is to be manipulated. A small tap is more than enough, if the springs still work. In fact the mechanism can easily be manipulated using only your fingers (probably wildly unsafe...) If the springs are broken or totally collapsed, the hi-lift kan still be used - you just have to manipulate the mechanism with a pair of pliers.

Of course it is highly un-desireable, but from my viewpoint and my expirience none of these actions are uncontrollable, or makes the operation unsafe.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree Kim :) I maintain that having to manipulate the mechanism, under load, in a manner other than by using the handle is unsafe, in my experience. These things can be quite dangerous enough when they are working properly ... !

Mo

Well Mike, since you ask, is that dead space to the right of the drawer ? :P

Mo

Yes and no MO.

Thats a long hiding place so to speak.

If it isn't there the drawer doesn't open.

The Hi-Lift doesn't go in because of the door also it's not long enough.

Don't worry. It's not wasted space. Two tyre levers, proper ones.. Sockets and spanners. Torque wrenches and spare shocks.

I know you can carry shocks in the front bumper. I've not worked out how yet.

mike

ps.

Sorry if I come across blunt. It's the way I tend to write English. English wasn't one of my even good subjects at school :lol:

I am sorry to say that in this particular instance, it appears that the bolting of the Hi lift jack to the bumper serves no practical purpose other than to "enhance" the appearance of the 90.

I have to take issue with that rather blase comment Mo. :angry: I did NOT mount it there so that it would look nice (even though it does) I did not have any options left for a mounting point. Inside space will be taken up with gear for crossing Africa, and I wanted to keep the weight off the rack, as the 2 Jerrys, which also cant fit inside, are pushing me perilously close to safe weight limits. Cant go on the left rear because of the ladder, and cant go on rear right as spare will catch.....so where the hell else was I supposed to mount it??????

Quite annoyed now.

Martin

Yes and no MO.

Thats a long hiding place so to speak.

If it isn't there the drawer doesn't open.

The Hi-Lift doesn't go in because of the door also it's not long enough.

Don't worry. It's not wasted space. Two tyre levers, proper ones.. Sockets and spanners. Torque wrenches and spare shocks.

I know you can carry shocks in the front bumper. I've not worked out how yet.

mike

ps.

Sorry if I come across blunt. It's the way I tend to write English. English wasn't one of my even good subjects at school :lol:

No, you haven't come across bluntly, Mike :)

Your shocks could go on the bumper with those big quick fists from X Eng but I don't think Johnny African would leave them there for long ;)

The good thing about hi lift jacks is that they are long and thin, they don't have to be 4 feet long and if access is tight ie the foot stops it sliding in to a tight space, then you can take the foot off (it's only held on with a split pin and this can be replaced with a nice fat R clip) and stow it alongside.

Load the 110 up and bring it down, Mike, I'll find a spot for the hi lift ;)

For those of you who think I'm slighting the African traveller, I'm not, stick your hi lift where you like ;) but at the expense of repeating myself from an earlier post - you don't need a hi lift jack on the bumper in the UK even if one day you may go to Africa. You are not carrying so much gear that it can't be stored inside - clean, safe and out of harms way.

Mo :)

If the above quote refers to one of my postings I would like to make clear that none of my postings are meant in a provocative or "forceful" way. English is not my native language - we speak another thing over here in Denmark....

No not at all, I promise you that,Its just a gentle reminder to one and all, Im guilty of it myself.

Its just the way a topic can turn out, When there are strong opinions topics can go sour quite quick, Already as a result the member above has been offended. It was just a polite reminder, Im no one special just thought it needed to be said.

I do hope you dont think it was aimed at you, Your english is to be commended too.

I hope the jack gets mounted somewhere appropriate in the end. I might have a come back on this comment but we have to rememember were here to help, And It can so easily turn sour.

My own opinion on the jack is its against the law so its to risky, And i would be looking over my shoulder all the time for police, But then again there are things i have done that are bending the rules, I really hope he finds somewhere for it though.

Ive done looking at the topic now so i really hope it gets sorted in a friendly manner.

kind regards tris

You are not carrying so much gear that it can't be stored inside - clean, safe and out of harms way.

OK, thats a fair comment Mo, sorry if I was a little blunt. I am one of those lads thats likes to just do something once & then forget about it.

I AM aware that there may be issues with it getting mucky & not working at some point, but I will maintain it regularly & check its all working. However, it will come off the front when I absolutely KNOW I'm going somewhere very muddy in the UK.

I just wanted to get some sort of jack mounting arrangement sorted out, leaving me to concentrate on optimising the rear load space area, amongst other things.

Martin

mmmmmmmm funny how this topic turns out.

Martin, you asked for advice on a forum.

People advised you not to put it on the front without a cover. You've decided that you'll put a cover on it - fine.

People have explained that placing it on the front is likely to make you liable under pedestrian safety laws - you've decided to ignore that. That's your choice. By the way, passing a few police cars without being stopped doesn't make it ok.

You've been advised that putting it out in front will hinder your approach angle. You've decided to live with it.

Of course it's totally your choice to ignore advice given as it is anywhere else, but don't get funny with people voicing their opinions, you've asked for advice on a forum afterall. ;);)

Also, you can't blame people like myself and Mo for thinking that anyone who places a Hi-Lift on or out in front of their bumper in the UK is doing it for the looks. If it doesn't make practical sense to do it and is potentially illegal on UK roads, it easy to jump to the next step of thinking it must be for the look.

Try a Silicon lube for lubricating the Hi-Lift, doesn't attract dirt/dust so much as oil and grease and lubricates pins well.

Cheers

Steve

I put mine here. Even though it's on the outside it never got particularly dirty and I just used to spray the mechanism with WD40 every now and then. In this picture, after a day on the Plain - the whole truck is plastered in mud, but the jack is still quite clean.

gallery_2_28_180085.jpg

Les.

OK, thats a fair comment Mo, sorry if I was a little blunt. I am one of those lads thats likes to just do something once & then forget about it.

I AM aware that there may be issues with it getting mucky & not working at some point, but I will maintain it regularly & check its all working. However, it will come off the front when I absolutely KNOW I'm going somewhere very muddy in the UK.

I just wanted to get some sort of jack mounting arrangement sorted out, leaving me to concentrate on optimising the rear load space area, amongst other things.

Martin

Martin,

Don't take this the wrong way. This discussion will help you become aware of issues not yet considered by yourself.

It is my intention to make you aware that if you plan to carry an extremely heavy and cumbersome piece of equipment that you consider vital for your trip, it must be a) carried safely (for you and others you may come into contact with), B) serviceable and c) accessible. In my opinion your mount achieves only one of these goals, accessibility.

The answer is something of a compromise. If you can't get it inside then the best place for it is at the back alongside the spare wheel inside a protective bag.

If you already have a swingaway type rear carrier then some brackets can be easily welded to this to carry your jack. If you don't have one then I'd put one on your shopping list for Africa because your rear door will struggle to stay together with the weight of the spare on it, especially if it's the original.

There are several makes of carrier that incorporate a jack holder like this.

Located here, it's out of the way and safe, will remain serviceable in the bag and is completely accessible.

Have think about it. :)

Mo

Thanks for your comments Steve.

I AM getting quite annoyed here now though.....its my fault, I have had an awful day, and am in a foul mood. :(

I have NOT been advised, NOT to mount on the front bumper.....I WAS offered an opinion, as to reasons WHY not.

I HAVE asked Mike where I get the cover like his, before I use a genuine Hi Lift one.

ONE person, not SEVERAL people, advised me on UK safety laws....AFTER, I mounted the jack. Had I known this BEFORE, I may not have done it.

ONE person advised there may be an adverse affect on approach angle. I have measured this angle, and there is no affect whatsoever.

I have not "been funny" with anyone, and I CAN actually blame people for thinking I did this for looks......I remarked that I take offense to a comment made about me doing it purely for looks, when I have quite clearly stated why I have no other options as to where to mount.

At no point in this entire thread, has a mounting point been advised upon, that I have not already thought of, and dismissed due to being impractical in my particular case. To some people, it is not practical to mount where I have, but to me it is practical, due to reasons explained several times before, regarding space etc.

Right, off my horse & make an effort to cheer myself up........

......is their any particular brand of lube to use on my jack then??? I was just going to go with the old WD40???

Martin

I have the Safari equip wheel carrier/hi lift mount and it's a very nice bit of metal, if anyone is thinking about it. My only complaint is the powder coat is lifting after only a year or so. As Les said, at the back it remains much cleaner than the rest of the vehicle. I have made the mistake of not using a hi-lift cover when out with it, but thanks to this thread I will be looking for something now.

Personally I don't carry the hi lift unless I think I might have to use it, that is only when going off road. I know everyone here intends to use theirs, but I think stickers telling people you have a hi lift are much cheaper if you only want to look like you're going off road. I know people who carry one on the rack and obviously day-to-day it's easier to keep it up there, I'm not suggesting everyone is a poser, but some people are very overt about their ownership of a jack...

As an aside, nice car, Godlykepower.

Martin,

I know you didn't put it there to look good but even so- it does!

I think mine are going on the inside. When I build a drawer I will leave a gap either side and mount some sort of bracketery cause they fit well along the wheelbox.

Pete

......is their any particular brand of lube to use on my jack then??? I was just going to go with the old WD40???

Martin

Well, I quite like that tingley KY, but enough of me ... :D

Out of curiousity, Martin, why did you discount a spare wheel / jack carrier as impractical ?

Mo

Martin

Wd40 is good i use that, But i wonder if its getting a lot of dirt and water that white grease or some thicker grease might disperse the water better, Anything i have that is subjected to water gets thick grease or white spray grease, I use grease to stop the winch going rusty or dry. (couldnt resist having another look at this topic!)

Well, I quite like that tingley KY, but enough of me ... :D

Out of curiousity, Martin, why did you discount a spare wheel / jack carrier as impractical ?

Mo

One of the reasons that I now see that the rear of a Defender is not the place for a Hi-Lift jack is the ammount of sand dust that gets there.

I did look for a pic of mine after two days on gravel roads to shew just how much sand gets there. Believe me it's a lot.

If I didn't cover my rear door lock with Tank tape the lock would seize up with dust. As it happens I now cover the whole lock, not just the keyhole bit, with tape.

If you remember my post a couple of years ago about taking my rear door lock to bits to repair it because it was full of sand.

As I said earlier. Most southern Africans, including Toy drivers carry their jack on the front.

mike

One of the reasons that I now see that the rear of a Defender is not the place for a Hi-Lift jack is the ammount of sand dust that gets there.

I did look for a pic of mine after two days on gravel roads to shew just how much sand gets there. Believe me it's a lot.

If I didn't cover my rear door lock with Tank tape the lock would seize up with dust. As it happens I now cover the whole lock, not just the keyhole bit, with tape.

If you remember my post a couple of years ago about taking my rear door lock to bits to repair it because it was full of sand.

As I said earlier. Most southern Africans, including Toy drivers carry their jack on the front.

mike

Hence my recommendation of a cover, Mike. Cunning eh ?

Mo :D

Thanks for your comments Steve.

I AM getting quite annoyed here now though.....its my fault, I have had an awful day, and am in a foul mood. :(

Sorry you are getting annoyed, that wasn't the point of my post. it was merely to point out that when you post on a forum for advice expect to get opinions you don't agree with. That's the way it works.

Don't take anything personally, and don't think we know better from some god given gift. It's because we've made similar mistakes before. I've mounted a Hi-Lift externally uncovered and had it jam before. etc etc. By the way from my old hybrid that had the Hi-Lift mount I have a Hi-Lift cover you can have for postage. It's got a couple of holes in for the mount bolts which could easily be patched or left open for drainage.

ONE person, not SEVERAL people, advised me on UK safety laws....AFTER, I mounted the jack. Had I known this BEFORE, I may not have done it.

Have a quick look on the 1st page of the post. I advised about it possibly infringeing uk laws then, hence my use of the word several. ;)

ONE person advised there may be an adverse affect on approach angle. I have measured this angle, and there is no affect whatsoever.

Sorry if I was wrong. I'm still surprised that it doesn't, but I was going by the pic and it's easy to get the wrong impression of angles from a pic.

Cheers

Steve

By the way from my old hybrid that had the Hi-Lift mount I have a Hi-Lift cover you can have for postage. It's got a couple of holes in for the mount bolts which could easily be patched or left open for drainage.

Steve

Steve,, If Martin does not take the offer up,, I could return it, to where it came from !!! :rolleyes: ,

Steve,, If Martin does not take the offer up,, I could return it, to where it came from !!! :rolleyes: ,

Bloody cheek, but yes Tim if you want it you can have it. It's been sitting in the garage for 2 1/2 years. Well two garages in fact ;)

Cheers

Steve

When I had a 110HT I mounted mine behind the interior bulkhead.

Worked fine, I even had to get it out in Iceland to use it. Even though

the car was packed it took 5 mins.

Kept it dry, clean and working.

Sorry no pictures, as I no longer have the vehicle.

When I had a 110HT I mounted mine behind the interior bulkhead.

Worked fine, I even had to get it out in Iceland to use it. Even though

the car was packed it took 5 mins.

Kept it dry, clean and working.

Sorry no pictures, as I no longer have the vehicle.

How do I fit a Hi-Lift to the bulkhead of a station wagon ??? ;):rolleyes::blink::blink:

Mo. I said earlier that for years I used a bit of old groundsheet held in place with a bungee cord.

The new cover comes from Frontrunner..... You have to fit the cover to the jack from the top.

mike

KY jelly & mounting at the rear?! Mo, is there something you would like to tell us??!

I did not discount a spare wheel carrier as impractical.....it was my preferred choice, actually. Its just that they seem really expensive for something I dont know if I will find any benefit in having, other than a place for the jack.

Why else would I benefit from a swing-out? Maybe its something I ought to consider??