Hi lift jack mounting on front bumper

LOL @You Martin.

My Frontrunner bag came from Frontrunner themselves. I got it while I was visiting them just before we left. Mind you for years I just used an old piece of groundsheet tied in place.

I wonder if that naughty word scrapiron can be use here !! Cos they think there the Frontrunner importers...

Better still try APB Trading of Kidderminster. Frontrunner told me they wre the importers.

mike

I can't remember the correct wording but you would be committing an offense by placing it on the front of the bumper. Putting it on top may still be an offense but less likely to get you stopped. The law is the same one that stops you taking the bumper off and leaving the brackets on the car. It's all about having a flat surface if you hit a pedestrian and not ripping them apart, if memory serves correct it's also an offense to have fuel cans mounted on the front, rear or sides of a car.... :blink:

you would be committing an offense by placing it on the front of the bumper

I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it now!! I have asked several people about this issue, and nobody has told me I cant mount a jack there.

What about hooks & the like that hang off winch bumpers? Thats not a flat surface.

I did drive past several police on my way home & nothing happened (yet?)

Martin

"Section 40A Road Traffic Act 1988 as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991 states: "a person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle.... on a road when.... the condition of the vehicle..., or of its accessories or equipment.... is such that the use of the motor vehicle.... involves a danger of injury to any person."

Blimey steve, Your a wealth of information!! I wonder if something could be made to cover it and also soften a blow if it did come into contact with some poor pedestrian, Like fitting a cover but packing the cover with something absorbent in an impact, Cant quite say exactly what i mean but its on the tip of my tongue!!

just wrap the complete vehicle in 'bubble wrap' that should prevent any injuries :rofl:

:P:P I was thinking more floral cushions :P:P What i meant was boxing it in some way and making it quick release.

Im going to shut up a bit now as it just dawned on me what i suggested :ph34r: Im tired from sorting my suspension today and the wifes not fed me :( so im not thinking straight :P

Just keep in mind that the jack won't work after being there exposed to the elements for long. They do not like being dirty and need to be well lubricated.....

It really sucks when the pins won't release to lower the load.....

You just tap it lightly to make it work again.

Remember to clean the mechanism before lubricating it - else the grit will be caught in the oil and function as some sort of grinding compund.

My hi-lift rides at the back of the truck mounted on a self-made swing-away carrier. I dont wrap it in covers or other - just clean it with the pressure washer and apply new oil from time to time.

Behind TD5 type bull bar which is like an A-frame with sides. It sticks forward to clear the extended aircon nose which I do not have so the hilift fits in the gap.

I do have to give the jack a squirt with WD40 every so often, but too much attracts dust, so I tend to leave it alone and carry the WD40 in the back for when I need to use the jack.

BFG1.jpg

I don't get it.

We drive Land Rovers with all the room in the world, and yet most tend to mount everything on the outside.

I'm always. I always have been open to sensable suggestions as to where to carry a Hi-Lift in my Defender.

It is not possible to carry that jack inside my vehicle......... Nor the jerry cans......Nore the bedding.......

As I said earlier 99% od South, make that southern African vehicle carry the Hi-Lift ot other type on the front.

Of course common sense to check that the jack is working correctly before use doesn't seem to enter the equasion.

mike

I guess you guys never see mud....

I'm serious, when your truck is up in the air and it won't release to come down.....you might believe me......

I DO belive you. Mud or grit can bring any unprotected moving mechanism to a halt.

But the spring loaded mechanism of a hi-lift is actually really simple. When it is stuck because of mud or grit it only needs a gentle tap on the relevant spring mechanism to make it work. If it is really bad you might need to tap the spring for each movement of the lever.

Dont think we need to be forceful with our opinions here :ph34r: I had a little thought, Could a couple of small brackets be welded to the rear cross member to hold the jack, My friends series is like that, Not sure if it would get in the way of towing, I wouldnt have thought so, Theres another option!!!

I DO belive you. Mud or grit can bring any unprotected moving mechanism to a halt.

But the spring loaded mechanism of a hi-lift is actually really simple. When it is stuck because of mud or grit it only needs a gentle tap on the relevant spring mechanism to make it work. If it is really bad you might need to tap the spring for each movement of the lever.

Yes Kim, it is simple but I can tell you that when the weight of the car is on the jack it needs more than gentle taps to release it and that having to hammer a jack to lower it is neither desirable nor safe in a recovery situation. I have been there, so I am speaking from experience.

I made a mount for my hi-lift jack using U clamps and M12 bolts which mounts the jack on the back stay of my roll cage, inside, out of the muck. They can also go across the rear bulkhead inside the tub or along the wheel box.

I am sorry to say that in this particular instance, it appears that the bolting of the Hi lift jack to the bumper serves no practical purpose other than to "enhance" the appearance of the 90. :(

Mo

Mud & high lift jacks. As long as you protect the mechanism with a piece of canvas and spray it regurlarly with e.g. WD40, Q10/20 etc. your high lift jack will not let you down. Mine mounted above the front bumper did not cause any problems during the years. Normally mud will not get there anyway unless you drive (way to) fast through muddy sections.

Mounting it low on the chassis e.g. at the back / rear crossmember is not advisable IMO as it might be difficult to get access to it if needed.

Like on this pricture:

land-rover-kruger-park-zuid-afrika-reis-400.jpg

Yes Kim, it is simple but I can tell you that when the weight of the car is on the jack it needs more than gentle taps to release it and that having to hammer a jack to lower it is neither desirable nor safe in a recovery situation. I have been there, so I am speaking from experience.

I made a mount for my hi-lift jack using U clamps and M12 bolts which mounts the jack on the back stay of my roll cage, inside, out of the muck. They can also go across the rear bulkhead inside the tub or along the wheel box.

I am sorry to say that in this particular instance, it appears that the bolting of the Hi lift jack to the bumper serves no practical purpose other than to "enhance" the appearance of the 90. :(

Mo

Well Mo Where would you suggest in an overland 110 ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Space is always at a premium :unsure:

img6296ax9.th.jpg

It gets a little full in the back..... :P

img6232vp1.th.jpg

The fresh water tank and the fridge get in the way here......As does the sand. In fact sand gets in everywhere so it would also need a cover for the mechanicals in the car as well. :huh:

mike

Storing off road kit like a high lift jack inside an overland Land Rover with all the camping stuff inside is just not advisable. On that particular picture of mine taken in the Kruger Park I could not get access to my Brano hand winch stored deep inside the vehicle.

If you need to unpack a vehicle to get to your recovery gear some of the locals may run off with the kitchen box or the stuff could become wet (if rain is pooring down).

Best to keep it on the outside although I would not store a Brano (or Tirfor) winch on the outside unless packed into a box. Initially that Brano was packed onto the roof rack but due to its weight moved to the inside of the vehicle.

I understand your point Marco, however I would have thought that accessible through an open door without the need to unpack was good enough. I am not advocating burying it under all your gear ! :)

What would have happened if you had got stuck going into that hole full of water, then your Hi lift would have been just as inaccessible as it would have been on the rear cross member ! :P

My point however, is that you don't need a hi lift jack on the bumper in the UK even if one day you may go to Africa. You are not carrying so much gear that it can't be stored inside - clean, safe and out of harms way.

In my opinion it's akin to fitting bush wires for laning in the UK :P ... oh no, don't tell me - they're next on the list ! :hysterical:

Mo :)

Mo

There is absolutely no reason to "hammer" the mechanism. Observe how the mechanism works. By using the lever there is no force acting upon the spring mechanism which is to be manipulated. A small tap is more than enough, if the springs still work. In fact the mechanism can easily be manipulated using only your fingers (probably wildly unsafe...) If the springs are broken or totally collapsed, the hi-lift kan still be used - you just have to manipulate the mechanism with a pair of pliers.

Of course it is highly un-desireable, but from my viewpoint and my expirience none of these actions are uncontrollable, or makes the operation unsafe.

Dont think we need to be forceful with our opinions here :ph34r:

If the above quote refers to one of my postings I would like to make clear that none of my postings are meant in a provocative or "forceful" way. English is not my native language - we speak another thing over here in Denmark....