modular wheels

was gonna get alloys for my 1991 defender but its cos its got drum brakes on the back, it started looking expensive.

Then noticed people like craddocks selling quite a nice looking modular wheel.

Are they any good ?

Do they start rusting away after 10 seconds of use ?

Any got a pic to show me what they look like on a defender ?

Ta

I'm using a set of 8x16 modular rims manufactured by Mangels and I found it pretty good, also seeing the price of it.

No, the paint (in mine) seems to be resistant to maltreatment :lol:

I've attached two pic of me and my friend Oriano's 90 (but the one near his Def/Pub is me)

post-9845-1213690463_thumb.jpg

post-9845-1213690526_thumb.jpg

A lot of people use Modular or Eight Spoke wheels, they are apparently strong and last well.

My friend had a set on his old Defender that stayed there for at least 7 or 8 years before he sold it and I think they're still on it now. Only damage was from off-road abuse, scratches etc.

I did think about putting a black set on my silver Defender at one point but decided to stick with the alloys for now :)

Guest noggy

the modulars from craddocks are like 8 quid more expensive than at paddocks!

a helpful hint to help with modulars, is, there the inner wheel bit is welded to the outer rim bit, you put a bead of silicon, because that seam is a mega water trap so fill it will silicon soon as you get them!

My modulars after a little bit of modifying............. ;)

Thanx all....

Bought em from silverline 4x4.

Bloke i spoke to gave excellent advice and seemed to know what he was on about.

Got Pirelli Scorpians on the rims and they are actually much better than i expected, but time will tell as they get worn in.

Cheapest i could find as well :rolleyes:

Mrs nearly killed me.... need to find a better way of smuggling parts in for my next project.

Here's mine with 8x15 silver modulars and 33x13.50-15 Maxxis Mudzillas, just used them for the first time and they are brilliant :) :) :)

Normally those are on 10 x 15 to give enough offset to give a decent turning circle ........................ but I guess you must have specified 8 x 15 as your don't protrude 2 - 3 inches outside the eyebrows like mine do :lol:

Absolutely brilliant tyre ................ road manners are a little strange & interesting , but once off the black top their performance is much better than I expected them to be :i-m_so_happy:...............I guess its a combination of low ground pressure and an agri style tread.............

Ian

Yes if you run 10x15 on unsurfaced clay roads, visibility out the side windows isn't even optional :lol:

It isn't great with 8x15 but it does keep the spray down a bit. They do just rub on the arms on full lock but not too bad, better than my old BFGs I think.

Front end view here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...20&start=20

Yes if you run 10x15 on unsurfaced clay roads, visibility out the side windows isn't even optional :lol:

It isn't great with 8x15 but it does keep the spray down a bit. They do just rub on the arms on full lock but not too bad, better than my old BFGs I think.

Front end view here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...20&start=20

Nice ;)

I got 7x16's on with 235/85's. seems to sit slightly higher than the standard 7.5x16 but it can't do really.

Don't seem to rub at all.

• 3 years later...