Dad, can I have one of these for Christmas?

Ryan

Just to set something straight, the Snatch isn't unarmoured, it's got the same level of protection as those vehicles used in NI (they're a development of the ones used by the NIPS if I remember correctly). You can open a whole can of worms on the subject, but when there are bombs used in Iraq (and so probably Afghanistan) capable of destroying the American main battle tank, something like a Snatch that's designed more for urban operations with small arms fire rather than explosions in mind (again, if I remember correctly, I know no more on the subject than anyone else) hasn't got much of a chance. It's not just the design of the Snatch land rover which is at fault, it's that until now the army didn't have the foresight to procure vehicles which are designed to be used where the Snatches aren't. That's why now much bigger 6x6 and 8x8 vehicles are coming into use, such as the Mastiff and the US Stryker.

At least that's my understanding of it, it's a highly emotive issue and I could be completely wrong, I hope I've not upset anyone with this and someone (one of the servicemen on the forum) can correct me if wrong.

It's interesting how many people I've spoken to over the past few months who feel that there is a certain tension in the air regarding invasion of civil liberties, anti terror legislation being used against old ladies, surveylance, ID cards, automatic fines for walking on the cracks in the pavement, wearing a loud shirt in a built up area during the hours of darkness etc etc...

I wonder if the government and Police have picked up on this and are tooling up for civil unrest? In which case, it might well be justified?

Si

Looks lighter than some challenge trucks I've seen :ph34r:

I hear you Si - I think people's patience is running thin with the state of the country, add to that people's money running thin and I reckon we could see a few more sense-of-humour failures around the place.

If the police are gearing up with that kind of thing perhaps I'll have to resurrect my desire to own something stupid and ex-military to ensure the ongoing security of my personal liberties...

If the police are gearing up with that kind of thing perhaps I'll have to resurrect my desire to own something stupid and ex-military to ensure the ongoing security of my personal liberties...

What are we talking? Vulcan bomber? Rapier missile system? Or not quite that silly?

Si

What are we talking? Vulcan bomber? Rapier missile system? Or not quite that silly?

Well given that you and five mates can fly to Spain and back for less than the price of a tankfull of petrol, perhaps aircraft are the way to go :blink:

I was thinking more of something that won't fit in a parking space and has more than two axles. Maybe painted yellow for added offence. If it ran on veg oil, even better :P

Round here (London) the Met have purchased the Jankel which is based on a Ford F450 chassis. Looks pretty nasty, especially when 3 in convoy overtake your bus to work on Holloway Road in the morning.... I love my part of town!

gallery_825_582_1427.jpg

MJ.

Wow that must be a big truck. we have those Ford F450 here in Aus and they are big trucks. Most of the carpet fitters and builders run around in them .

True that 450 looks big but even a convoy of three could surely be stopped if Dirtydiesels snorkel fell into the road? god help them if he rammed them :ph34r:

Maybe an army of challenge trucks are what we need for a civil uprising :lol:

Will.

Sorry for my ignorance , But living in a sleepy suburb of south Bristol I really cant see the need for these vehicles in and around this countrys citiy`s

Surely the way foward for counter terrorism manuvores is intelegence and nipping it in the bud before a disaster occours and the need for an armoured police toy .

We had one of these trucks delivered to Avon and Somerset Const last year , but I havent even had a glimpse of it patroling the streets , even when one of bin ladens sick **** followers was arrested last month in Bristol .

Sorry for my ignorance , But living in a sleepy suburb of south Bristol I really cant see the need for these vehicles in and around this countrys citiy`s

Surely the way foward for counter terrorism manuvores is intelegence and nipping it in the bud before a disaster occours and the need for an armoured police toy .

We had one of these trucks delivered to Avon and Somerset Const last year , but I havent even had a glimpse of it patroling the streets , even when one of bin ladens sick **** followers was arrested last month in Bristol .

mm don't have them in Aus ,mm and we are full of criminals or relatives of :rolleyes::lol::lol:

No comment on counter-terrorism, but an armoured truck must be a handy thing to slew across a street under fire - scenarios where shots are exchanged are not exactly unknown in London - can't speak for good ol' Brizzle tho...

But surley by the time that fat arse truck gets on site for action a team of snipers could have been deployed to take the illeagals out .

Absolute last resort! If a copper shoots someone, even if their life is in imminent danger, they are still suspended and investigated by police complaints.