Britpart quality (yet again)

about 3 months ago I fittted a Britpart belt tensioner on my 300tdi as the bearing was worn on the original one, since then I ve done just over 4000 miles and the squeak was back yesterday so this morning I whipped it off expecting the bearing to worn.

But after removing the tensioner and removing the pulley I discovered that the shaft the bearing runs on has worn away ,rather than the bearing, so I'm not a happy bunny so does anyone know which is the better make to get this time?? rather than, getting a britpart one again

as a tempraray measure Ive put the pulley off the new one onto my old shaft and hopefully it will last till friday when I get paid, then it will be getting sent back

If it is the 300tdi fan belt tensioner , track down a Dayco one they make the original landrover ones, comes in a different box..................and about half the price of the ones in the Landrover branded box !

I am constantly amazed that Britpart stay in business when the numbers of people who keep saying there stuff is as bad as it is ?

Seems many people are drawn to the cheap prices and think they are getting a absolute bargain :lol:

I won't even think about fitting Britpart stuff anymore,.......IMHO Bearmach aren't much better in many cases :(

Genuine is often a lot cheaper than you think..esp when it doesn't self destruct shortly after fitting

Nige

I am constantly amazed that Britpart stay in business when the numbers of people who keep saying there stuff is as bad as it is ?

Seems many people are drawn to the cheap prices and think they are getting a absolute bargain :lol:

I won't even think about fitting Britpart stuff anymore,.......IMHO Bearmach aren't much better in many cases :(

Genuine is often a lot cheaper than you think..esp when it doesn't self destruct shortly after fitting

Nige

Absolutely agree with the above not are Britpart known as Sh--part for nothing, on a recent trip to Bosnia a fellow traveller had a Disco 300TDI, that had had all new Britpart U/Js fitted just before leaving, I had to change them all in Germany they had lasted just over 500miles absolutely false economy to fit sh--part.

Regards

Keith

I assume that this is the fan belt tensioner? I would suggest genuine. I bet that a genuine one is not as much as you think and will be good quality.

Chris

In the UK, maybe. Here a genuine assembly costs R1600 and an SKF 6203 bearing is R24. I'll give you one guess as to what we do :)

If it is the 300tdi fan belt tensioner , track down a Dayco one they make the original landrover ones, comes in a different box..................and about half the price of the ones in the Landrover branded box !

Paddocks sell the dayco ones - I've ordered two recently. Just under £40 iirc

about 3 months ago I fittted a Britpart belt tensioner on my 300tdi as the bearing was worn on the original one, since then I ve done just over 4000 miles and the squeak was back yesterday so this morning I whipped it off expecting the bearing to worn.

But after removing the tensioner and removing the pulley I discovered that the shaft the bearing runs on has worn away ,rather than the bearing, so I'm not a happy bunny so does anyone know which is the better make to get this time?? rather than, getting a britpart one again

as a tempraray measure Ive put the pulley off the new one onto my old shaft and hopefully it will last till friday when I get paid, then it will be getting sent back

USE Dayco only!! p/n ERR4708

Rgds

Rotor

In the UK, maybe. Here a genuine assembly costs R1600 and an SKF 6203 bearing is R24. I'll give you one guess as to what we do :)

Done that a few times while the nylon guide that the spring tensioner runs in is OK, but when that wears too, the whole assembly needs replacing.

The Dayco aftermarket tensioner assy. pt. # is APV 1004 and is generally much cheaper than the identical OE ERR4708

Done that a few times while the nylon guide that the spring tensioner runs in is OK, but when that wears too, the whole assembly needs replacing.

The Dayco aftermarket tensioner assy. pt. # is APV 1004 and is generally much cheaper than the identical OE ERR4708

I too have been down the bearing only route. It's not difficult to remove the old item at all. The bearings normally cost me between £5 and £8 depending on supplier, much better than the £120 I was quoted for genuine parts.

Make sure you get the bearings with rubber seals, normally denoted by '2RS' at the end of the part code. These generally last me 2-3 years with numerous muddy dunkings.

Michael

Dig out your old original and change the bearing yourself ..........................it will cost you all of £6 and about 30minutes to fit.......................

:)

Ian