Hi troops!

If I was replacing the tyres on the truck.......the ones on there at the mo are 7.50R16 Rangemasters and Rangerunners.......what would be a decent mostly-for-road-use inexpensive tyre that would (perhaps) have a slightly wider profile and will fit the vehicle without modification to the wheel mountings etc.......

And...what is the metric tyre size equivalent for the ones I have on the vehicle please?

And do you have a web link for it? :o

Regards! :P

235/85-16 is a very similar diameter, and is a ~9.25" wide rather than 7.5 - they are also one of the factory fit options.

even wider still would be 265/75-16 @ ~10.5" wide, and I believe has also bee available as a factory fit option.

both of which are pretty common sizes to fit on defenders, so shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of.

As far as I know there isn't a direct metric equivalent of a 7.50-16 - 235/85-16 is about as close as it gets....

hth

Mark

Ok - thanks for the numbers guys, looked at a few 235/85 16s and they look mean and fat!! A bit like me lol!

So what is the widest tyre that can go on without modifying anything else?

Some say 285s but really its going to be 265 75 16 and then you might have to play with the lock to stop it catching. And I have 30mm alloy spacers on mine as it caught bad on full lock even with a lift kit using 265s

:) Tris

I have just gone from 238/85 road tyres to 265/75 muds and this is the difference (road on left, mud on right):

post-4939-1215444026_thumb.jpg

They were on Freestyle alloys with 30mm spacers but now on Disco steels with no spacers and rubbing on lock which I need to deal with.

Have a read through this thread:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=28491

I have just gone from 238/85 road tyres to 265/75 muds and this is the difference (road on left, mud on right):

post-4939-1215444026_thumb.jpg

They were on Freestyle alloys with 30mm spacers but now on Disco steels with no spacers and rubbing on lock which I need to deal with.

Have a read through this thread:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=28491

Ok OK.....lots of good info, and I like the idea of using 265/75s - but will they fit on to the truck WITHOUT modifying owt else? :rolleyes::P:P

You will have to adjust your steering lock stops, but that isn't much of a modification...

You will also have to think about what wheels you are going to use as well, as you will need at least a 7" rim for 265's and to be fair even 235's are better on a 7" rim....

When you start looking at different wheels, you also start thinkinag about offsets. Once you know the offset of the wheel you intend to use, and the width of the tyre, then you will be able to decide if any arches need to be trimmed.

hth

Mark

Ok OK.....lots of good info, and I like the idea of using 265/75s - but will they fit on to the truck WITHOUT modifying owt else? :rolleyes::P:P

Graham this is what I use with mud terrains, they work great and if you went for insa turbo dakars from mailorder4x4 you would pay about £200 plus postage for 4, As I said there is a slight catch on full lock, But I did fit them before I lifted mine and it still only caught a wee bit then on full lock. The insa turbos look quite chunky too almost like a 285.

If the catching annoys you Im sure you can adjust the lock or just fit spacers.

Tris

Oh yes Im running 7x16s and the others beat me to it replying lol

I personally think (know!) 235/85R16 is fine to use on 5.5x16" rims but most of the tyre manufacturers don't recommend it so it depends on your insurers, most will stick with the manufacturers I should think. Also bear in mind that most of the 5.5" steel rims around are tube type, only the very latest ones are tubeless, while most tyres are tubeless, so you either get problems with chafing tubes, arguments with tyre fitters, or a very restricted choice of tyres if you go for tube type tyres on tube type rims as they are a dying breed.

I would get a tubeless rim (modular or Discovery steel) and either a 235/85R16 or 265/75R16. For tyres you can't beat the General Grabber AT2s for a good all rounder, I have them on my Ranger crewcab and they are good on road, quiet, apparently last well (haven't had mine for long enough to comment on that bit), brilliantly grippy on ice/snow, and surprisingly good in the mud for an AT tread.

http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/tyre-details.aspx?id=6

235/85/16 on a disco steelie is a pretty hard combination to beat for a general purpose road going motor. Plus disco steelies are a very tough wheel.

My 90 originally came with standard 5.5 LWB steels and 7.50 avons and the lock stops were adjusted so the tyre very nearly touched the radius arms. I swapped to disco steelies and 235's and they didnt catch at all and therefore i left the lock stops well alone!

I only started getting rubbing when i went to mud terrains and the side lugs just touched the radius arms.

as for which tyre to go for - how longs a bit of string?

everyone has their own opinion and obviously most dont want to say their choice was ****e after shelling out £300 for them!

Personally i would recommend you keep an eye on ebay - there are alot of new defender owners selling the factory fit 235/85/16 general grabber all terrains when they fit mud tyres. Very good hard wearing tyre that is good offroad and excellent on road. Much better than the avon rangemasters you currently have.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4X-GENERAL-GRABBER-A...p3286.m14.l1318

Ok, the wheels and tyres arrived this morning at 9:10 and were fitted by 9.30 - and I dont have to adjust the steering lock stops, because the last but one set of wheels were also wide boy ones!!! hurrah!!

They look good graham! Im glad you went for them, I love mine and £400 for brand new wheels and 265 muds is a good price with next day delivery!

Go find some mud now!!!

Tris

They look good, nice siderails too, who made them ?

The "siderails" are a standard set of side steps I bought off t'internet....to fit, they were welded to the galvanised rails, which were then painted black. They look ok, and they quite neatly hide the lpg tanks under each side of the car.

• 1 year later...

Another semi-related question....

Is it illegal for the tyres to be exceeding the width of the wheel arches? I am thinking of getting 265/75 on 7" wheels but it sounds like I may need spacers which I guess will make them protrude slightly?

Cheers,

mr_mcp