Front headlining sagging

The front section of headlining in my 90 is sagging fairly badly.

Any suggestions as how to hold it up?

I was thinking about attaching (using something like tigerseal) a piece of wood (maybe 2x1) onto the roof and screwing into the wood.

Anyone got any other success stories (or otherwise)

My you are the lucky one with just the front sagging. :o

It's not so much the front. Easly got second hand. It's the middle and back on mine.....

I was thinking La-Salle but things have changed..

So

I'm thinking of pulling the lot out. Ripping the rest of the material off and painting the card that's under the cloth......What do you think.....

mike

Guest wunntenn

As I use my van for location work and often have to sleep in it in all weathers, including well into sub-zero winter temps, rain, snow and general northern manky stuff, I've done the whole roof of my 110 van with a couple of layers of closed-cell foam stuck to the ally, and a layer of carpet over that, from windscreen to back door, and a similar job on the sides. Its not difficult, but can be a wrestling match and very messy if the glue doesn't grip quickly. Its a few hours work, but the difference is noticeable - no condensation, heater warms the van faster, quieter and much more pleasant - warmer in winter, cooler in summer. The headlining is another LandRover afterthought thats less than ideal. If you want more info re foam, glue, how, what etc ask.

If this is a vinyl lining with the 2/3mm foam backing, they can be fixed with some work and perseverance.

I did my truck cab one after both rear corners sagged.

Remove all the staples from around the edge of the fibreboard shell and carefully peal the vinyl off, try not to stretch it.

Then scrape /brush off the perished foam from both the vinyl skin and fibreboard ( I used a small brass wire brush).

To recover I used a rubber based contact adhesive, you need quite a lot & I only applied it to the fibreboard.

Start in the centre and work out to the edges, initially it did not look to good as the solvents in the adhesive make the vinyl go slightly wrinkly. As the solvents dissipate it all tightens back up and looks pretty good, there is a slight even texture from the fibreboard beneath. Once fitted you would not know it had been recovered.

Rod

Thanks for the details so far, but the vinyl is not coming away from the backing, the whole thing is sagging from the roof.

So I need to support the full headliner rather than attach the cover.

Sorry if my first description was unclear.

Guest wunntenn

As far as I can establish - unless you remove the headlining completely and replace with carpet stuck to ceiling - the only easy way is to remove headlining and put some carpet underfelt in the gap between the headlining and the roof. Depending on the thickness of felt you get, stick one or two layers to the metal of the roof, ensuring it is well stuck with a good layer of glue. Then stick the headlining to that with only a few blobs of glue in the sagging locations, supporting until dry, and this 'might' hold it - depends on the degree of sag you're trying to remove. The reason for using only the bare amount of glue to hold it up is that you might want to get the headlining back off some time in future and the joint you want to give way is the headlining/felt one. The advantage of this if it works is a quieter and cooler/warmer, less condensationy cab. Hopefully sag free.

Guest noggy

I resently purchased a truck cab and lining for my landy, and the lining is made of this funny waffer thin card board stuff, nothing like the really thick stuff already inside,

did earlier 90's have linings made of a different material to later ones?

I resently purchased a truck cab and lining for my landy, and the lining is made of this funny waffer thin card board stuff, nothing like the really thick stuff already inside,

did earlier 90's have linings made of a different material to later ones?

OH !!! Oh...

My 1995 Defender 110 SW has a fairly thickish headlining...A pain to cut with a Stanley knife. It's a sort of old rag stuff.

Did Land Rover change things....

mike

Strangely enough, mine is sagging also. It's been on my to-do list for ages.

Today I fixed it. Mines a '93 defender, it has the roof ribs internal, not on the outside like the series.

I took out the stupid plastic plugs (don't know of they were original), at the rear of the headlining, marked the position of the three ribs and then put the rear plastic plugs back in to secure the lining, I then drilled 3 holes across the front (ish) of the lining, (just inside the 'sunroof' indentation) and then drilled another three further back and used the expanding type plastic plugs (the ones where you push the plug in and then push the little centre plastic bit to expand them),to pull the headlining back up to the roof again.

Just remember to make sure you hit the internal ribs and not drill a hole staright through the roof. :P