ABS Fault - 1996 300Tdi

Dunc

Greetings all,

Got an ABS light on, that sometimes goes off... :blink:

When it goes off and you apply the brakes the ABS goes mental, buzzing like a foot massager at which point the light comes on to indicate a fault and bingo, the brakes are fine although non-ABS.

Approaching a junction the other day the ABs light went off, i braked for the junction and... nothing! Sphincter started biting lumps out of the seat, but the ABs light came on and i (eventually) got brakes.

Any ideas? :huh:

If no-one has experienced & cured this before, i'll just wheel it into my L/R dealer next week.

In the meantime, which fuse do you pull to disable the ABS? That way i'll always have brakes, albeit non-ABS.

Cheers.

Dunc.

Dunc

Had a similar problem on mine and it turned out to be an earth fault on one of the sensors. According to the manual the ABS fuse is on fuse box satellite 2 and is fuse no 3. Satellite 2 is the one at the top of the 3 fuse boxes behind the lid under the steering wheel. The fuses are numbered 1 to 6 from the RHS (o/s) as you look at it.

There are 2 more fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment for the ABS pump and ABS valve. I don't think you will need to remove these.

HTH

Ivan

ABS faults are usually sensor related - but easiest to diagnose with a computer!

I had to disable mine on my old Discovery after a similar problem, while waiting for spares. I pulled all three fuses, for the ECU, pump and modulator.

My 1995 Disco had a problem with the ABS, I had both sensors replaced but I still had the problem.

At low speed the ABS would kick in, particually approacing junctions, and the ABS light would come on. Turned out to be the vacuum pump went, which becuase of low suction caused the ABS to kick in.

If your sensors are OK then it might be worth having a look at your pump!

Stephen

Brilliant. Thanks chaps.

I'll go fuse pulling tomorrow!

Stephen's experience sounds just like mine, only seems to happen at low speed when you are trailing the brake up to a junction or in a car park.

Fuses out to make sure, then off to L/R when i get chance to get their computer to talk to the truck.

Thanks again. :)

Dunc

My Discovery developed the exact slow-speed symptoms immediately after the fitting of larger tyres.

Went the usual sensor route but to no avail. Pulled ABS fuses, problem gone. Big tyres on Discoverys and ABS is a popular topic on the Discoweb tech board, but no one has a cure. It seems the system just can't handle big tyres.

Kev

Most odd as the system was taken off lorries for use in L/Rs

There was also lots of posts from 'engineering experts' rubbishing Land Rovers attempts at bolting ABS onto its products. One perfect example is the way system behaves (as above) when it detects a fault; i.e. there's a fault somewhere, so i'll wait right until you think I'm about to stop and then let the ABS kick in to scare you sh*tless!' Trust me, it's not nice when it happens :o

Kev

It certainly isn't - mine caused me to have chickens on several occasions as I came up to a T junction with traffic going backwards and forwards, and the electrickery decided that I might have wanted to stop but it had better ideas :angry:

After I disabled mine I always found the front wheels would lock very easily but you couldn't get the rears to lock at all, must have been a really odd setup in the brake pressures somehow, it wasn't that nice with the ABS disabled.

Trust me, it's not nice when it happens

Kev

I'm with you there Kev, it's unpleasant!

You can lock the fronts up easy enough without ABS, but my old 300Tdi was a non-abs jobby, my 200Tdi was non-ABS so maybe i'm just used to it!

:D

It'll get fixed, once we've cured the water leak... :(

• 1 month later...

:) Hi

Just been reading issues with abs lights on 1996 disco!

I have had a lot of problems with my breaks on my 1996 2.5tdi es. It all started wheni purchased the car i had the abs light coming on, i did some in depth looking and found it to be the drivers side abs sensor. The garage put a new sensor in and it seemed to be ok for a day or so. But i seemed to have two problems going on at the same time? It is my wifes car really but i am a Land Rover enthusiast, she came rushing in the house one day and said that the brakes had failed momentarily and it was a good job that know one was in front of her because she would have run into them? I said to her has the abs light come on again she said no, i took the car out it did not happen to me? so i put it down to my wifes driving. I carried on with the minor abs problem and found that the drivers side abs sensor was moving in its holder this was then causing the abs light to come on. This of course would give me problems at low soeed with the abs going off loke a machune gun.

Any way i was driving home from holiday i went to push down on the pedal and i had nothing the pedal was rock hard but the disco was not stopping. Again i was lucky nothing in front of me rammed the pedal up and down then the brakes come back. I said to my wife im telling you there is somthing very wrong with these brakes managed to travel the 60miles home without further incident.

Th is is where the investigations took place. Is it because of this dredded abs light or not. Went onto land rover forums but could'nt find out anything, even sent a letter to Land Rover they did no reply.

Any way to cut to the chase i spoke to my local main dealer they were very helpful said it was iether vaccum pump or servo but they would change both. I carry out my own repairs replaced servo, vacuum pump and vacuum pipe brakes now better than they have ever been. But Still abs problem.

One cured one to go. I was keen to change the sivel joints becaues they were badley pitted. proceded to strip the drivers side down first hey presto the bearing smashed on the hub this caused the cv joint to run out thus knocking the abs sensor out of its air gap range. totally refurb front axel with new bearing seals stub axels, cv joints and yes new abs sensor buses and seals. also put baolcast gaters on the new swvel joints.

abs SENSOR CURED, BRAKES CURED wife happy.

Regards Hunty

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dunk (et-al)

This depends on what model Disco but Im sure the 300TDi ABS has a self diagnostic mode.

1996 was pre-testbook :)

There is a link to another forum (sorry) with some hints... look down the bottom for a reply by Discovery ES http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/300-abs-light-27043.html

regards

Matt

Thanks Matt.

Luckily two friends (both qualified L/R lads) had a poke and a prod to help me ascertain whether it was the modulator or a sensor. After much fiddling about, off-side front sensor was deemed to be the culprit and since replacement (with a genuine L/R part, receipt looks nice in the history file) has been trouble free.

You're quite right about the self-diagnostic bit. As soon as you reach 6mph the computer checks itself and turns the ABS light off.

One saturday morning when the boss isn't in, i'll call by to see aformentioned mates at L/R and plug the truck into their computer an clear the onboard computer's fault list to turn the light off altogether.

After doing all this work and getting the truck peachy, it looks like i'm going to have to sell it anyway!

Hey ho... :huh:

• 7 years later...

I have an inate hatred of ABS - try stopping for a suicidal kangaroo on a flat dirt road at 80 kph and see what happens --- nothing !!!!!!! the ABS releases the brake as soon as it locks up so the wheel just keeps turning -- removing the bloody thing was the first thing I did with my Disco, the secong was to remove the bloody air bags - consequently I no longer have any ABS problems and I have a simpler easy to bleed brake system :D

I am thinking my challenge is with the air gap on the sensor how do i adjust the air gap? After a little scrutiny I can see that the ABS light has been tampered with, which explains it not being illuminated, it looks like it has been painted over.

Any advice gratefully received

Regards

David

Air gap is set by the distance the sensor is from the reluctor ring, and generally isn't adjustable except by knocking the sensor in a bit further after cleaning the grime out.

Have you replaced the ring from the back wheel?