tracking

My 110 was begining to show odd wear on the p/s front tire and then on the d/s. I looked for help here and found it.

I used the thread by Hybrid from Hell and must say it worked well. It was interesting to see by how much the wheel alignment was out just using the string tied to the ball hitch and brought around the rear wheel to the front wheel at the centres.

My job was made harder because I have a Southdown axle guard fitted. I had to drop the plate off and grind a little out of the bracket to pop of the track rod ball joint out.

So I have a question are the Sumo bars better? Or would a nice piece of tubing over the standard bar be enough protection.

The Southdown guard can take a fair bashing would a bar stand the same punishment?

Thanks

Mark

Great site by the way

I don't think it matters but the string needs to touch the middle of the wheel / tire at the hub so I brought it down to the rear wheel at this level and then to the front wheel at this level as well. I could see the front wheel was toe out as the string only touched the front of the front tire.

Have a read at the thread by Hybid From Hell on tracking. He does it with pictures.

Mark

I don't think it matters but the string needs to touch the middle of the wheel / tire at the hub so I brought it down to the rear wheel at this level and then to the front wheel at this level as well. I could see the front wheel was toe out as the string only touched the front of the front tire.

Have a read at the thread by Hybid From Hell on tracking. He does it with pictures.

Mark

I bought a 'Trackrite' thingy a few years ago which does a good job and saved me having to go with theses lazer things which are not always acurate if the opperator dosen't know what he's at .

Not tried it with the Landy yet but I'm sure it'll work.

What is the setting by the way ?

(...)

What is the setting by the way ?

When a vehicle with standard landrover steering and axle setup travels at speed on tarmac the front wheels wil tend to push themselves towards the centre of the vehicle - called "toe in".

To eliminate this, the tracking must be adjusted so that the wheels point straight forward when travelling at speed. A toe-out of about 1mm is usually fine.

0 to 2 degrees toe out.

You probably meant mm not degrees... 2mm equates to about 1/4 of a degree...

When a vehicle with standard landrover steering and axle setup travels at speed on tarmac the front wheels wil tend to push themselves towards the centre of the vehicle - called "toe in".

To eliminate this, the tracking must be adjusted so that the wheels point straight forward when travelling at speed. A toe-out of about 1mm is usually fine.

You probably meant mm not degrees... 2mm equates to about 1/4 of a degree...

OOps, Yep should be mm not degree's it was late :blink:

1 or 2 degees and 1 millimetre on a Land Rover your having a laugh guys ar,nt ya?

Well ar,nt ya?

Go to the trouble to even use such a precise instrument as a piece of string and it still comes down to 1/2 degrees or 1mm?

---- sake I was nearly going to use bad talk there.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Ouch, i just corrected mine last night. mine had 1/2" of toe in :o:rolleyes: it now has 3mm of toe out. One track rod end is stuck fast, I heated it and applied diesel oil and tried turning the TRE with a pair of stilsons but had no luck. Any tips other than keep heating it and see what happens?

Judging by the amount of toe you get per turn of a TRE I reckon a quarter turn on the track rod would get me within the range LR reccomend.

it explains why my left hand tyre has worn down to the second wear mark and the right is still on the third :rolleyes: steering wheel needs re-aligning too :rolleyes:

:huh:

I realized mine was slightly twisted (toe out) and having little time to get it done myself due to overtime, i delivered it to a workshop. First time ever after 2 years of owning a defender td5... WEll 200 quid went right down the drain... Next time I will get it done maself :blink: !

:huh:

I realized mine was slightly twisted (toe out) and having little time to get it done myself due to overtime, i delivered it to a workshop. First time ever after 2 years of owning a defender td5... WEll 200 quid went right down the drain... Next time I will get it done maself :blink: !

Surely you didn't pay someone £200 just to do your tracking?