Overland Trailers

Wow, did you get Roothy to sign your chest ? :)

cool, have to watch out for it, but it should just be a case of popping down the store by that point I hope.

:lol::lol::lol: NO , although i do see him alot around Brisbane alot in a Big Black Nissan Patrol

• 5 months later...
If you are looking to build a trailer from scratch this is the thread to read.... http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic....+trailer+builds

As usual it comes from our Australian off roading friends, who have as usual taken home build projects to a new leval....HTH.....John

Just finished reading all of that build thread; brilliant.

I feel another project coming on... ;)

Heres food for thought. This is my trailer, built on a Sankey chassis but with a chequerplate alloy body. It is ply lined to prevent damp. It has not been fitted out as such, as it is was conceived as a multi-purpose trailer, but could easily be modified to suit. The only thing I would change is the top; it is sloped, but I would make to flat so I could mount the roof tent on it. I might get the top re-made some time. I have retained the NATO hitch as it is ideal for off-road use. Beware using standard hitches- they do not have the required articulation, and are not strong enough.

post-241-1230886675_thumb.jpg

I made one too. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=21294

It is presently awaiting the injection of some time/cash to improve usability and water-tightness - particularly with the addition of guttering, improved door latches and kitchen areas and the addition of a decent trailer top tent as the Landrover type roof tent gives no internal dry space.

I should toddle off to the weigh bridge some time really...

Chris

I have tossed & turned over this conundrum for ages now. To get one or not?

I really cant afford a ready-prepped bona-fide Overland trailer, as this will bankrupt me, and further set-back the start date of the expedition.

I did have a slight brainwave on Christmas day though. There is a supplier of Sankey trailers just down the road from me, LW Vass in Ampthill. I was thinking of doing something very basic, ie Ply line the interior of the trailer, perhaps fit a sliding drawer that would come out of the rear through the tail gate, then cover the entire top purely to mount a RTT on. This would be very far away from an optimal use of space, but the slide out drawer could be used to hold Wolf boxes only, leaving the entire back of the 90 free for day to day usage & a fridge etc.

To re-cap, the trailer would be very basic, holding noyhing except a rooftent & a slideout drawer with several Wolf boxes tied down.

What do you reckon to something like that?

If this turned out to be an option (and I need everyones input on this one!) then I could either take up a forum member on his offer of a free trailer (although its located in Belgium) or buy one for a couple of hundred pounds from LW Vass, then beg ask nicely for help from forum members for assistance in doing the actual modification work, which in my mind is fairly easy, although with my technical knowledge, may be quite hard to do!

Thoughts please.

Martin

If you are planning to move on each day then I think you might be better off without a trailer. It will make off-road work harder and be more to set up/break down each day. Only if you plan to remain in one place for some time (2+ nights?) might a trailer be worth while.

Chris

My personal opinion. If you can't fit all you need in a landrover then you are taking too much STUFF. Travel light and you are far less likely to break down or get stuck, you will use much less fuel, and you will have a more liberating experience. A trailer is great for those Aussie boys who drive 500kms each weekend and spend a night in the bush complete with generator, TV, coffee machine etc, and then drive home the next day. But for an overland Trip? I think you would regret it IMHO

I have struggled to do a weekend camping trip for two in a 90, I couldn't imagine how anyone could cope with the limited space for an expedition.

Ok I guess everything could be packed into cases and drawers but it would get very frustrating (and time consuming) packing and repacking twice daily.

If £11k is out of reach then a sankey with basic fittings would take some pressure off the cab area. If it has only cost a few £hundred you could always dump it on the way if it starts to drag you down.