Oh yippe, deep joy and laugh ?....no, not really

Hybrid_From_Hell

Its only a mini c*ck up.

Have been fiddling with brakes (calipers need sorting) its eating brake pads,

so I last weekend I had all the wheels off and sorted out short term pads (read part worns) and went shopping.

I did give the 90 a good test drive, and all ok, .............so parked in garage............... :)

Last night (I have only now decided to own up) I went to replace the 2 rear calipers with new units, ....now,

..........................wheres that locking wheel nut key................ :huh:

I suddenly remembered an odd noise when I drove off at the weekend, :huh: a sort of odd rolling about noise :huh: and then a kerpunk :huh: and a small bang bang thud under the 90 at a corner.... :blink:

F,.............. I now know what that was, :unsure: my locking wheel nut key, .....rolling off the wing ....and hitting sumting on the way to the road / field............... never to be seen (by me) again :(

I only had the one release key, (old Sod special), so phoned up mate who PHSL, and said yeah "done that been there have a special key for the removal of nuts with lost keys"..... :D

Popped into his work place at 8.30 today, sneaked up to his tool box with key (he's off) and got spotted...

"Wot you after Nige"...?

"er nothing just a tool......."

"Wot sort of tool"?

"No Probs I'm fine".....

"Here we'll help ?"....

"No No I'm fine...."

"wot tool is it" (I tried to pick it up and pocket it without them seeing)....?

"Oh that tool" they all said starting to laugh............. :angry:

"It ended with slide slapping and me finding out 'special tool' was called a 'special name' " .................

"yeah ****** - the special tool the

'Will Always Now *eep Extremely Rigourously *afe' Tool :angry:

Much falling about, much poking laughing and pointing at me.........and so to work....

Nige

PS Got The ******* ******* wheel locking nuts off tho :)

2005 was injury and event free, erm 2006 ?. :angry:

Its only a mini c*ck up.

Have been fiddling with brakes (calipers need sorting) its eating brake pads,

so I last weekend I had all the wheels off and sorted out short term pads (read part worns) and went shopping.

I did give the 90 a good test drive, and all ok, .............so parked in garage............... :)

Last night (I have only now decided to own up) I went to replace the 2 rear calipers with new units, ....now,

..........................wheres that locking wheel nut key................ :huh:

I suddenly remembered an odd noise when I drove off at the weekend, :huh: a sort of odd rolling about noise :huh: and then a kerpunk :huh: and a small bang bang thud under the 90 at a corner.... :blink:

F,.............. I now know what that was, :unsure: my locking wheel nut key, .....rolling off the wing ....and hitting sumting on the way to the road / field............... never to be seen (by me) again :(

I only had the one release key, (old Sod special), so phoned up mate who PHSL, and said yeah "done that been there have a special key for the removal of nuts with lost keys"..... :D

Popped into his work place at 8.30 today, sneaked up to his tool box with key (he's off) and got spotted...

"Wot you after Nige"...?

"er nothing just a tool......."

"Wot sort of tool"?

"No Probs I'm fine".....

"Here we'll help ?"....

"No No I'm fine...."

"wot tool is it" (I tried to pick it up and pocket it without them seeing)....?

"Oh that tool" they all said starting to laugh............. :angry:

"It ended with slide slapping and me finding out 'special tool' was called a 'special name' " .................

"yeah ****** - the special tool the

'Will Always Now *eep Extremely Rigourously *afe' Tool :angry:

Much falling about, much poking laughing and pointing at me.........and so to work....

Nige

PS Got The ******* ******* wheel locking nuts off tho :)

2005 was injury and event free, erm 2006 ?. :angry:

Ha! Now there's a coincidence, t'was reading an article in Nov 2005 Metalworking Production the other day about a start-up company just bought themselves a 3 axis Colchester Tornado T8m with driven tools and integrated barfeed, you know one of those articles that has been paid by Colchester to spread the word. However, Ronnie and David Brain had the same problem with a lost wheel locking key and came up with a brilliant new design of kit that gets the wheel nut off without the key. Name of their company is Dynomec based in West Yorkshire. Apparently Motor Mechanic magazine voted the kit "Best Product 2004" and they sell the kit to breakdown rescue, tyre companies, police, accident repair etc.

They have also developed special studs for the vehicle to be safely driven after removal of the locking wheel nut. Apparently they sell via the internet or advertising. Just off to google now..............................

Put some extra long studs in, drill the ends and fit a small padlock :)

I agree, they are a waste of time, anybody wanting to nick a wheel will have some way of easily getting them off and the only real function of them is to cause a complete loss of temper in the rightful owner when trying to change a puncture in the dark and the P...ing rain!

I noticed in my new Screwfix catalogue the other day that one of their 'new products' is a locking wheel nut remover. Looks like the arse has just fallen out of locking wheel nut industry.

Yeah, I don't bother either as they're fairly easy to remove. When I lived in London I saw a few expensive cars in the area (mostly Jag XKRs and AMG SLs with the several £k wheel options) loose wheels. The guys who did it seemed to have it down to an art; they're only remove 2 wheels (road side, not curb side) and then drop the car onto its brake disks. I guess they'd then do the same to annother car with the same wheels.

I think the only way to keep trucks really safe is to have them locked up otherwise there's all sorts of bits you can loose.

With my mates "Special Tool" removing the locking wheel nuts without the key took absolutely no longer than if I had used the key :huh:

As many have said, and the point of locking nuts now is ? :(

Nige 'Lock Nut free 90' :huh:

Especially as it makes life harder to change them in the mud...