Compressor Recommendations

A Twig

Right, I want a compressor that's not to heavy so I can transport it between locations, that is under £100 and will power a rattle gun that will be happy on wheel nuts etc, and a couple of other similar powered bits and bobs.

Oh and I need to buy it in the next 48 hours. Any suggestions?

Cheers

I notice there's no free air delivery quoted... Try to find out the free air delivery of the compressor and see if its enough for the rattle gun. I suspect not / marginal at best.

I don't think comparing 'quoted CFM' gets you very far, especially on cheap stuff like that.

Either way, err on the side of extra capacity.

Hope it helps, Al.

:)

I've got THIS And it only just powers that gun.... You'll also need the AIR LINE for that gun.... It seems to need the compressor at 6-8 bar to operate effectively.....

I certainly wouldn't go any smaller than the above compressor.... and it's light enough to throw in the back of your car and a 3000W inverter will power it fine or a generator my 1.9KVA powers it bit it's usually the 3KVA one I have with me....

Hope this is of use, let me know if you need to know any more about it....

The one your looking at would be no use for your requirements though....

Right, I want a compressor that's not to heavy so I can transport it between locations, that is under £100 and will power a rattle gun that will be happy on wheel nuts etc, and a couple of other similar powered bits and bobs.

Oh and I need to buy it in the next 48 hours. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Sorry Mr Twig but £100 compressor and air impact gun do not go together!

The Wolf compressor you linked to is for air nailer's which use very little air.

How about one of THESE?

Right, thanks for the help all. I've found an ex-demo equivalent of 6cyltdi's HERE but as it seems a bit less rugged, I've decided to go on 6cyltdi's recommendation, also you get more "free" tools with his one!

Will have it by Fri so will let you know!

Cheers

I have a Draper 25L compressor which "in theory" will power the rattle gun as it is quoted as about 5CFM and the rattle gun as needing about 4. In practice it might achieve a 50% duty cycle with the compressor flat out if you are lucky so I guess the moral of the story is buy something twice as big as the specs would suggest you need!

The battery powered rattles seem to work well but are 'kin expensive, and I am too mean to buy one for the amount I need to use it (not a lot). If I need to change wheels away from air, I use a breaker bar to crack them off half a turn and an 18V electric drill with a socket on the end to speed up the whizzing nuts off and on part, which works perfectly well.

Well it all arrived today, a grease gun, a spray gun, a tyre inflator, another gun which I haven't figured out yet, my rattle gun, and the compressor - total cost £160 including the £25 express delivery.

Verdict: an hour later, every nut and bolt I could find tightened, tyres pumped up, covered in PTFE lubricant from not opening the bottle carefuly enough, and off to buy some black paint for my wheel arches, it seems pretty good!

Stupid grin on my face, smell of oil everywhere, and a new toy!

To be honest, I havent had any really rusty old wheel nuts etc to test it on, but its coped fine with everything else!

Given the massive reduction that it's currently on sale for, I reckon it's worth the pop.

:D

Good to here.... Mines been up to scratch for my requirements too although my postage just over quadrupled because I am in an IV postcode area....!!! Same with every bloody thing up here though.... MM 4x4 postage free to everyone else £25 for me... and next day doesn't exist....!!! Gurn over... Glad your happy with your purchase....

Rattle gun to change wheel nuts, why?

I only require a 1/2" drive T bar (breaker bars, what torque did you do them up to?), extension and socket for wheel nuts. It doesn't take many minuets to change a set of wheel with this setup, its light weight, simple, never let me down and less likely to over tighten the wheel nuts.

OK so I'm the sort of person that can quite happily drive at 50 on a dual carrage way, but seriously just how much time are you saving by using the rattle gun?

I only require a 1/2" drive T bar (breaker bars, what torque did you do them up to?

I guess you've never had a wheelspanner go "ping" in the middle of nowhere then ... in countries where the AA/RAC doesn't exist you tend to over-specify critical tools, as well as carrying 2 spare wheels! I don't "need" a 3ft bar and an impact socket either, but I can be pretty darned sure it isn't going to break in the dark when its raining and I have a puncture miles from anywhere with no traffic and no mobile signal :)

I have known standard wheel braces bend, the standard LR items arn't particuarly strong, which is one reason why I use a 1/2" drive socket, extension and T bar (the other being deep dish wheels). Though a lot of the problems with wheel braces failing in my experiance is when breaker bars or rattle guns get used to tighen the nuts up in the first place.

For other applications I have a length of tube living in my socket set of extending the T bar, but for wheel nuts that have been done up the the right (or near enough) torque then extending it is superfluace.