Castrol Magnatec

BogMonster

Could somebody do me a favour and have a look next time in Halfrauds etc and tell me what the retail price is in stores for Castrol Magnatec 5w30 synthetic oil, as used in a Td5 etc, for say a 5 litre can?

Having a bit of an argument at work about a nearly six-fold increase in the price of this from suppliers and want some more ammo!

I was at a tool (machine) shop last week - and they were complaining that their suppliers had whacked the price up of oils. (And my home heating oil bill has ney on trebled in the past 5 years - so I wouldnt be surprised if it has gone up !)

Just so's you know (and just in case you didn't) when Halfords oils were introduced, with the exception I believe of the 'classic' 20w50, they were produced by Esso. I can't see that would have changed. It's always nice to know who makes own-brand stuff ;)

Just so's you know (and just in case you didn't) when Halfords oils were introduced, with the exception I believe of the 'classic' 20w50, they were produced by Esso. I can't see that would have changed. It's always nice to know who makes own-brand stuff ;)

Seem to remember that Granville produce oil for Halfords etc. Granville are owned by Esso which is not quite the same as being esso.

Seem to remember that Granville produce oil for Halfords etc. Granville are owned by Esso which is not quite the same as being esso.

It was definitely an Esso supplier code. The sheet sent with each new product had Esso all over it and Esso specification data. It may have changed since then as I'm talking about 10 years or more ago when the Halfords-branded stuff was first introduced.

JEEEEESUS! :o

i think i'll stick to buying 25l drums of oil from the local HGV servicing place in Ossett.

25l 15w40 diesel spec £35+vat

25l ep80/90 gl5 £28+vat

if its good enough for a HGV with quite massive mileage service intervals - it'll do fine in a good ol' 300tdi 90 that gets all its fluids changed every 3-5K miles.....

and at the price of ep80/90, i also change the axle and tranny oils when i change the engine oil. No milky sludgey diff oil in mine!

I hope the Magnatec is for petrol engines and not diesels as it is a mere CF which is rubbish compared to the CI mineral oils we use. For some reason LR South Africa forced their dealers to use it in TD5s which I (and a visiting engineer from Solihull) thought was wrong.

We use all Shell oils and our prices have risen a bit lately, but only about 10% which is pretty normal, much less than the price of petrol diesel or paraffin.

And decent antifreeze suddenly seemed to shoot up everywhere by about 50% last month. Do they make ethylene glycol out of oil?

It is what Castrol recommended when we gave them the specs and said "what should we use" so I guess it is OK! It meets the ACEA specs given in the manual for Td5s.

Yes we have seen antifreeze double in price and had much the same thoughts!

Saw a can in a supermarket yesterday and I thought I had better get my facts right. Couldn't find any API spec at all, but it did say A3 B3. I thought TD5 oil should be B1?

Had a quick look in the book of words, the recommended oils are A1, B1 or B2. So the oil I was looking at does not meet LR spec. Though it could be a different Magnatec to the one you get.

Though the Shell Helix 15w40 mineral oil we use is SJ, CH, A3 and B3. Nobody wants to pay for A1 B1 oils, especially as our diesel is still relatively high-sulphur so we change oil often.

The Magnatec seems to cost about double the oil we use for the same spec.

Guest otchie1
Saw a can in a supermarket yesterday and I thought I had better get my facts right. Couldn't find any API spec at all, but it did say A3 B3. I

I was looking at oil about a year ago,

4litres Tesco SuperGrade Diesel 15W40 £7.47

4 litres Castrol GTX Diesel £9.46

4 litres Castrol Magnatec Diesel £15.76

5 litres Halfords Semisynth Diesel £16.00

Of which only Tesco & Halfords own brand are proper spec (CG-4/CF/B2(E2))

but only Castrol are approved by LR (despite not being in spec as it isn't CG-4).

I used Comma semi synth in the end.

£3/litre +/- £1 at the time.

HTH