Wiring for an Isuzu 2.8TD Injector Pump

Fatboy

Evening all,

I've reached the point where I'd like to start the wiring for the engine in my Series 2a. Apologies for posting in International rather than Series Forum but I know that this conversion has been done in various machines by others.

I bought a CD Manual but it started to want to do weird things to my PC so its become a beermat.

The Haynes Manual is a waste of time as it is not specific enough.

082InjectionPump.jpg

1. As the photo shows, there are a surprising number of connections. There is a microswitch on the throttle position (why?).
  2. A T shaped plug towards the top right of the pump?
  3. Some sort of sensors on the fuel supply / injector side?
  4. I guess the little powered actuator at the bottom of the picture is to do with raising the revs so I won't be using that.

Oh, and I forgot to ask: What do you do to turn this engine off? (I've only messed with V8's before where that bit is a bit more obvious!

Any help, much appreciated!

The wire at the back of the pump is for the stop solenoid.

The double plug at the side is the CSD (cold start device) take it out and blank it off you wont need it.

Ive not seen the other set of wires before (larger plug) but theyre probably for a rev counter.

I posted a link to the workshop manual for the engine on the forum somewhere. It covers the rest of the engine very well but a bit vague on the engine/alternator electrics

Evening all,

I've reached the point where I'd like to start the wiring for the engine in my Series 2a. Apologies for posting in International rather than Series Forum but I know that this conversion has been done in various machines by others.

I bought a CD Manual but it started to want to do weird things to my PC so its become a beermat.

The Haynes Manual is a waste of time as it is not specific enough.

082InjectionPump.jpg

1. As the photo shows, there are a surprising number of connections. There is a microswitch on the throttle position (why?).
  4. I guess the little powered actuator at the bottom of the picture is to do with raising the revs so I won't be using that.

Oh, and I forgot to ask: What do you do to turn this engine off? (I've only messed with V8's before where that bit is a bit more obvious!

Any help, much appreciated!

All you need is to put power to the diesel stop pin to make it run, and at the same time put power to the soleniod with the green cover as that allows fuel to return to the tank (this needs an earth as well). kill the power to these 2 and the engine goes dead.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in a similar position, just finishing-off putting an Isuzu 2.8 in my Rangey.

My problem is the myriad of wires coming out of the alternator. I'd usually expect to find a heavy current one for feeding the battery and a small one for the ignition light and even another one to drive a tacho, but there are a few more to go at too! I note from the engine manual that there is at least one relay connected to the alternator on the original installation. Do I need all that tatt or can I just take the heavy current wire to the battery? Can anyone advise which is the wire to the charge light and if there is a tacho output?

Appreciate some help, job's stopped for this info.

Normally B+ goes to battery, D+ to charge warning lamp and w+ to tacho. Some alternators have different labelling schemes - most of these can be found in the cross-reference table attached below:

post-1230-1220180992_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
082InjectionPump.jpg

It won't go..... <_<

I've put power to the Fuel cut-off solenoid (Black top) and it clicks.

I've put power to the CSD wire (Green top) and it also clicks.

Power / earth to the T plug does not seem to make any noise, it goes to a valve on the front right of the pump (looking from the rear of the engine, fwd).

The diddy micro-switch is removed and was a sealed unit so it does nothing.

I've got a fuel filter assembly from a Trooper and was not sure what to do for a fuel pump so I've used one of the DLS ones from a V8 (Looks like a Facet unit).

She winds over, and over, and over..... but doesn't even hint at firing up.

HELP :(

I've got diesel to the pump. I didn't think about bleeding the injectors so I'll do that tonight.

... and I'm not 100% sure about the supply / return lines - I figured the one toward the rear of the pump was the supply. (to the right of the photo above.)

... and I'm not 100% sure about the supply / return lines - I figured the one toward the rear of the pump was the supply. (to the right of the photo above.)

I think they may be the wrong way around. Supply to front, return at rear, (as it's higher to allow any air in the pump to escape).

I could be wrong though. :ph34r:

I think they may be the wrong way around. Supply to front, return at rear, (as it's higher to allow any air in the pump to escape).

I could be wrong though. :ph34r:

Well you were right about the lines ;) Front pipe is even a larger ID and the rear one which is fed via the CSD is much smaller. I've since managed to spray diesel everywhere by checking for pressure etc etc.

She is puffing mist out of the turbo (no exhaust).

Before I came in tonight, I put a wire to the heater plugs for a few seconds and tried again. It fired but I got such a fright at the smoke, I switched it off and the battery is too flat to try again :P

Tomorrow... [Fingers crossed]

• 9 months later...

This is going to seem a bit ridiculous - I thought I had this sussed because it ran and ticked over....

So, I got on with the rest of the wagon and it is nearly finished :) Body painted / wiring all done etc.

Took it out of the garage to give it a bit of a run and although it seemed fine initially, I think it has been loosing power and has now got to the point where I need to slip the clutch to get it to move! :unsure:

It has plenty fuel, I've got transparent lines to the injector pump so I can see it has fuel but yet again, I'm a bit stumped...

I've only got a +ve supply to the fuel cut-off solenoid. The CSD is still there without any connections, as is the other green topped plug a the back of the pump with the back T plug.

i only kind of skim read this as i'm heading out, so apologies if i'm repeating stuff. seeing as i've just been down to work on mine (almost back together having lost its timing belt and done the damage that such events entail) i'll give you a bit of help.

t shaped one is for your rev counter. get one out of a trooper to make your like easier, but of course you can ignore it. circular one, i don't know what that does, but i've never had it connected on mine. green topped one is the cold start device, it will click, but if you take it out, you won't see it move. one below that is your stop solenoid, maybe give that a quick check over to make sure its hunky dory, a faulty solenoid ultimately caused my timing belt slip as it had to be stalled to stop when cold.

your starting trouble will most likely be fuel starvation. so first thing is check all your unions are tight. last time i had the head off (only a year ago because of a broken exhaust manifold stud. a head gasket set is about £60 :( ) i forgot to reconnect 2 of them. the engine started and ran, but was only firing on 2 cylinders so was a little...rattly). the engine also takes a bit of effort to fully bleed. you have to leave it running for a bit and fettle the lines and stuff to get the bubbles out. i expect it you floor it at the moment it just stalls. anyway, check for no air leaks first and then be prepared for a bit of fiddling and waiting to get it fully bled.

what's your extra spring for?

Thanks for that Callum.

Do you have your CSD supplied with 12V while the engine is running?

Mine wasn't but I gave it a go last night and it just seemed to let a lot of fuel go back through the return hose. When I nipped that with a set of grips, the engine ran well. However, I saw some bubbles coming through the supply so will check the unions at the pickup and pump tonight if I get a chance.

The extra spring was to help the throttle linkage return :)

Thanks for that Callum.

Do you have your CSD supplied with 12V while the engine is running?

Mine wasn't but I gave it a go last night and it just seemed to let a lot of fuel go back through the return hose. When I nipped that with a set of grips, the engine ran well. However, I saw some bubbles coming through the supply so will check the unions at the pickup and pump tonight if I get a chance.

The extra spring was to help the throttle linkage return :)

yeah my csd has a 12v supply when the engine is on. if i remember when i am back down to viist it next weekend to hopefully put the rockers back together and swap the timing belt and pulleys i'll take some photos for you.

if you ever want to stick the rev counter in, let me konw and i'll search out the wiring/pin colours for you. its wired a bit funny, not how you might anticipate and it will save you a bit of head scratching.

anyway, hope you had a bit more luck today, will be a good feeling when you're runnign and can see the fruits of your labours...and indeed drive it too.

My Isuzu in the old 110 had two stop solenoids, one obvious and one secreted round the back of the pump maybe you haven't got them both powered up.

Engine is a stonker they just pull and pull especially if yoy tweak the fuelling up a bit.

• 12 years later...

4JB1t 2.8 turbo diesel.

I  changed diesel pump, from 2000 parts car into my 2003. the 2003 has a black box over the fuel shut off switch which the 2000 does not. All fitted first start:Turns over ready to start, a hint of firing and the engine light stars to flash. did some research, it turns out the black box is an anti theft unit. So a rare moment of brilliance occurs.  by putting the code into the radio the fuel switch turned on and engine starts.  I assume will have to repeat if battery is disconnected. 

My issue now is clouds of blue smoke on start up. never had an issue with glow plugs before the diesel pump change over. So I am assuming its the CSD cold start device. I have never played with a diesel pump before. can I pull the CSD out the the old pump and put it in the new one?