200 Tdi Autobox

ciderman

Firstly, you'll have to find a 200TDi autobox. Not many around.

Second, you'll have to move the engine forwards 6" to accommodate the length of the box. either that or end up with a teeny rear (custom) prop.

Say goodbye to engine braking. :(

Say goodbye to burning clutch smells. :rolleyes:

If you want to have a drive of one, wait a couple of weeks and have a go in mine.... once I' ve finished the bu99er! :wacko:

Off road I love the autobox. For challenge events it is great as you can match wheel speed to winch speed and left foot brake when required for inch perfect positioning etc.

hi, im not 100% sure but couldnt you use a auto box from a 300? and change the back plate and flywheel?? or fit a 300tdi and box complete? im biulding a 300tdi auto 80 coiler at the moment, when i test drove it in the disco i loved it, you can go as slow as you want and floor it and it picks as well as my v8....well almost with a little tweaking!!

hamish

Jase, its a good way to go - I loved the 2.8 + auto. Much better than manual and more reliable. The problem is finding a 200tdi auto. The hard part to find is the engine backplate as a lot of the other bits are interchangable with 300tdi auto bits which are much more readily available. Length may be your issue which will make a mess of your weight distribution. TBH if this disco doesn't work out for you it may almost be worth getting hold of a 300tdi + auto as it means you can swap in the entire engine and gearbox assembly and save a lot of mucking about.

I love the control of my 300/auto, altho it's a V8 box. I haven't seen a big change in engine braking, altho the fuel economy got much worse.

My box uses an adaptor plate to mount to the engine. The block's quite far back in the bay but I think it uses standard props. How long is a standard 300 install from the handbrake drum to the nose of the crank?

Ok then , I have almost sourced a 300 box with any assoiated bits from a disco ,Will mentioned the engine back plate , So will the 300 plate fit on my 200 lump .

And I want to make sure I take everything I need from the doner disco ,so can any one tell me exactly what just in case i miss anything , coz its a long drive to get it . :o

Thanks

Jase

So will the 300 plate fit on my 200

From my research, no. The 200Tdi has the rear oil seal in the rear housing whereas the 300Tdi has it in the back of the block. You will have to find a 200Tdi rear housing/adapter. IMHO, probably easier to fit a 300Tdi and sell the 200 on.

Chris

Ok then , I have almost sourced a 300 box with any assoiated bits from a disco ,Will mentioned the engine back plate , So will the 300 plate fit on my 200 lump .

And I want to make sure I take everything I need from the doner disco ,so can any one tell me exactly what just in case i miss anything , coz its a long drive to get it . :o

Thanks

Jase

As Chris said you really need a 300tdi backplate with the integral crank oil seal. These simply can't be found for love or money. I know of someone who's modified a 300 backplate to fit a 200 but it was a hassle and took a bit of time.

As it happens I do have a 300tdi auto backplate kicking about if you're interested. I've been meaning to call Ashcrofts to see if they'd like it but I hadn't got round to it. If you do decide to go down that route drop me a line....

Auto bhox is 660cm long, Your LT77 is 500cm long! Spect you can guess why I know that! Im keeping the motor where it is in mine and taking everything else(including the rear axle) back. its nose heavy enough without moving the motor forward.

Auto bhox is 660cm long, Your LT77 is 500cm long! Spect you can guess why I know that! Im keeping the motor where it is in mine and taking everything else(including the rear axle) back. its nose heavy enough without moving the motor forward.

Now theres a strange phenomenon :lol::lol::lol:

You been reading my study notes again Steve :lol:

That's the chap - bloody good price too!

Tony, I'll believe it when I see one. I went through all this a little while ago when I autoed the tgv. There was an intermittent supply of new 300 tdi auto backplates retailing at about £230 IIRC however, from speaking to several people who tried to do 200 conversions they couldn't get hold of backplates: Ashcrofts rarely had them, they almost never come up second hand due to the number produced and LR couldn't supply them new EVEN THOUGH THEY LISTED THEM. If this has changed then its great news but I can't believe they put it back into production to produce tiny numbers.

Now, I put all this together on my 300Tdi, and I remember it was different somehow for the rear oil seal. There were dowels and seals but I misremember how it all worked. I do remember being fortunate that there were two dowel holes in the block that I needed, even though they hadn't been used for the OEM backplate.

Re-reading that, it sounds like I've got a 200Tdi back end on a 300Tdi block. I'm sorry Jase, I don't love you enough to pull the engine or box out to have a closer look :)

Looks like its going to be a complete 300 engine and box ,to lessen any further complications .Its going to be a xmas project as I guess its going to need a whole new driving style and theres going to be a few cock footed moments :lol::lol: Cheers all for the advice

Jase

It's weird actually. All the buses at work are auto so I'm used to swapping 2 pedals for 3 and back again. The only time I've used the "clutch" since going auto was in an emergency stop (bluddy cyclists) and it's very odd when your foot just falls through the place where you're hoping to find a pedal :) Car still stops though, so it's all safe and legal. Unless you fit a wider pedal from a RR or somesuch, you won't hit the brake with your left foot accidentally.