Today's stupid idea is...

Turbocharger

Woss this for then? First prize, as judged by me, wins the 'Nuts about caramel' chocolate bar that's on my desk*.

16012006318-copy.jpg

*Collection only, product may vary from that shown. All rights are reserved, especially the right to silence. TroddenMasses exempt from entry since he's implicated in the construction.

Maybe it's for keeping the wing skin temperature down when he is on the motorway. They made the SR-71 Blackbird out of Titanium because of the high temperatures when at high speed. Maybe they could have done this instead. Look at the right hand wing - you can see where pressure waves (or maybe trees) have started to deform the front of the vehicle.

All of the above really. Tomorrow I'll try to get a constant speed, constant rack position situation on level ground, allow the EGT to stabilise and then hit the button, but today (on country backroads) there's certainly little difference under gentle driving.

To be honest, I'd like to see if I can stop the intercooler heat-soaking because there are periods when I'm driving/have been driving hard when there's noticeably less power. Equally, if I try to maintain [illegal]mph constantly, the EGT climbs rapidly to 650°C and then less rapidly but inexorably clicks to higher and higher temps - I'm presuming this is from the intercooler becoming less efficient as it can't get the heat away quickly enough. Really, I need an air intake thermometer but haven't rigged one up yet. Would a second water temperature sender for my Racetech gauge work in air?

All of the above really. Tomorrow I'll try to get a constant speed, constant rack position situation on level ground, allow the EGT to stabilise and then hit the button, but today (on country backroads) there's certainly little difference under gentle driving.

To be honest, I'd like to see if I can stop the intercooler heat-soaking because there are periods when I'm driving/have been driving hard when there's noticeably less power. Equally, if I try to maintain [illegal]mph constantly, the EGT climbs rapidly to 650°C and then less rapidly but inexorably clicks to higher and higher temps - I'm presuming this is from the intercooler becoming less efficient as it can't get the heat away quickly enough. Really, I need an air intake thermometer but haven't rigged one up yet. Would a second water temperature sender for my Racetech gauge work in air?

What nozzle are you using... it really needs to be an (atomised) mist to be most effective?

- for which you may need more than one pump.

Water temp sensor??... would be better off putting a thermocouple in the inlet and outlet of the intercooler, so you could measure the temperature drop.

Might also be worth ducting air into the intercooler, adding a basic ram effect... but I would also drill some holes in the fan cowel so that the passing air can escape - also add a divide between the radiator and the intercooler going all the way back to the fan cowel.

Ian

16012006319-copy.jpg

My "nozzle" - a piece of 5mm poly pipe with lots of little holes drilled into it. The water goes everywhere: intercooler, grille, radiator, bonnet, pedestrians, windscreen, floor...

There's little or no science in this (yet), I'm just trying to judge whether there's a big benefit to be gained (it seems not so far). If I was really bothered I'd get a pair of thermocouples and log a load of values to work out the cooler efficiency. The water temp sensor appeals simply because I've got a gauge that's calibrated to use one already - the EGT unit has got nasty electronic damping which doesn't help my cause. In fact, the weight of the intercooler probably has far more bearing on smoothing transient peaks than exchanging the heat to air but the water was intended to aid this process.

I've got no cowl (and indeed, no fan) so no concerns about airflow if the car's moving at speed. It'll all change round when I get chance to put my new intercooler in but I need to get some header tanks made up for it first.

Guest diesel_jim

IIRC the mitsi evo's (or is it the subaru imprezza's?) have an in built intercooler spray unit.

the water injection sounds more efficient and a lot of folk use those.

You might be able to find something on the tinternet about water injection for BAE Systems Harriers, they utilise demineralised water injection to keep the engine temperatures down during hover, otherwise they only have a few seconds in hover before the engine cooks itself.

Now Water Methonol injection is quite entertaining, used in Andover transport aircraft for that extra boost on take-off, with rearward facing seats you feel happy for the seat belts :D only problem is when the deminarilised water gets mixed up with the water meths and the andover tries to go full boost on water, both engines tend to wind-down as the tyres are skipping on the runway :blink: pilot gets very upset :unsure:

If you want more power and cooler EGT why not devise a LOx injection system and have a big bottle of oxygen strapped in the back - that should do the trick B)

I also used to think my intercooler was "heat soaking" because of a slight gradual loss of power on long climbs, nothing major perhaps 10% down on power? Turned out to be a partially blocked fuel filter (I think - a new filter fixed it anyway!)