That's it, I have had enough, it has to go.

GBMUD

Since I got rid of my 90 and got my 110 I have been unhappy with the position of the handbrake lever. It seems that some time between 1991 and 2004 Landrover moved the handbrake lever further to the right (RHD car) such that it is now right in the way of my left leg. It has to go.

I know that some people have relocated the handbrake to the space next to the cubby box by using a RangeRover handbrake unit but I do not think that there is sufficient space in mine with the cubby box located where it is. I am considering replacing the existing RHD handbrake with a LHD one in the passenger footwell. Anyone else done this, or anything else to solve the problem? If I do go down the route of fitting it in the LHD position, what parts will I need? New mount, lever, cable? Will my existing bits all transfer over?

Thanks

Chris

Oooh, this is very interesting......I have always had a niggle with the position of Defender handbrakes, and although it doesnt really get in my way enough to bother me, I do tend to keep knocking the switch out, which just annoys me when I have to fiddle around with it.

This might just be a nice little project to work on.

Where do you get RR handbrakes from then?

Martin

i think putting it in the passenger footwell would be a mistake, its harder to reach (within MOT regs? - not sure), my under driver lever there is a bugger if you want to change it frequently with seatbelt or harness on. (not that its used much......)

anyway it will be in my way when i snooze post HW events - try by the back door there loads of room there without impeding my leg space.....

Chris, If you want to go down the RR route :unsure: their is a complete set up on the donor 2 door in the yard !!

I assume that is the very short early one Tim, unlike the one in the picture, your donor being an early example? I am unsure if that will provide me with sufficient leverage?

I have just been out in the car to have a look/test and I think I am sold on fitting a Range Rover one beside the seat. Your leg room is saved James. :)

Chris

Chris. You want the later 1985 on lever. The earlier rod one won't do.

If you're at Peterborough this weeken you can have a look at mine.

mike

I'll be there Mike, getting there some time tomorrow late afternoon or early evening. Where will I find you of an evening?

Tim, yours looks older... :P 1985 is on the cusp, if yours is cable operated then I am interested. IIRC cable op started with the 5 speed manual or the 3 speed auto, 4 speed manual will be rod type.

Chris

Thanks Mike, I will see you there. I would like to see it in the flesh before I start fitting as I may prefer to mount mine further back...

I have been offered a handbrake in black already off a car, the price is right so I will go with that. :)

Chris

Thanks Mike, I will see you there. I would like to see it in the flesh before I start fitting as I may prefer to mount mine further back...

I have been offered a handbrake in black already off a car, the price is right so I will go with that. :)

Chris

99p was what Colin paid for his......

mike

Since I got rid of my 90 and got my 110 I have been unhappy with the position of the handbrake lever. It seems that some time between 1991 and 2004 Landrover moved the handbrake lever further to the right (RHD car) such that it is now right in the way of my left leg. It has to go.

I know that some people have relocated the handbrake to the space next to the cubby box by using a RangeRover handbrake unit but I do not think that there is sufficient space in mine with the cubby box located where it is. I am considering replacing the existing RHD handbrake with a LHD one in the passenger footwell. Anyone else done this, or anything else to solve the problem? If I do go down the route of fitting it in the LHD position, what parts will I need? New mount, lever, cable? Will my existing bits all transfer over?

Thanks

Chris

Drive my nas from the right hand seat and see if you can reach the handbrake :rolleyes:

If you can reach the handbrake, then grovel underneath to look at the parts and then I can give you the numbers from my cd rom :lol:

Sorted :P