Another wiper problem from me :) and lock barrel change advice.

Well well these dam wipers are giving me so much greif.

First problem is that say I have had the wipers on for say 5 or more mins and I turn them off they stay on! and the only way to turn them off is to switch off the engine, Could this be the relay on the way out or the steering colom switch on the blink ?

The second problem is that the wipers only cover say a 90 degree motion on the screen so I can either have the wiper arm set low so it dosnt get in the way when its not on and only travel so far and i cant see out of most of the window. Or i can have it so that its in the way on the screen but wipe all the bits that I need it to do.

Anyone have any ideas on how to sort these out ? Because on all off my mates defenders the window wipers go all the way over! :( and turn off.

O and I also need to change all the locks on the new doors I have so how do I go about taking out the old lock barrels and put in the new ones?

Staying on is probably the park switch contacts getting stuck - white lump at gear end of motor. It pulls out/off, someone will post the part no l8r..

Limited sweep is probably dry motor bearings. Remove motor, remove end bolts, remove end cap and brush plate - may need new one of these if the brushes are worn, which could also be the problem. Pull out armature. Bearing bushes really need soaking in oil, but you can normally get away with dripping a few drops of light oil on, leaving for an hour then a dab of grease inside bush.

Alternatively search on ebay for motors, they come up for around £20. You may need to transfer the drive gear over from your old one and they may not come with a park switch.

As for lock barrels, if they are door ones, remove trim to access inside of lock mechanism. There should be a 2-3mm hole in the side, insert drill or similar and pull out old barrel using the key. Reverse to refit. Do a search on the forum - its been on here b4 not long ago with pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an old thread to resurrect but I've got exactly the same limited wiper sweep problem. Having changed the bulkhead and refitted wheelboxes (and fitted a series screen) both my wipers now sweep from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock (as viewed from inside the vehicle). This is fine for the passenger side, but a bit more sweep to say 2 o'clock would be good (ie essential) for the driver side.

Could somebody enlighten me as to what the standard sweep pattern is for a defender?

I've not ripped anything apart yet, but my problem is not likely to be dry bearings etc, as the vehicle had gone through an mot with the previous owner and the wiper arcs checked out ok, so its more likely to do with the disassembly/reassembly process

I also have wiper problems. The park switch has definitly gone, didn't realise you could get one separately, anyone know where from? My sweep pattern is also unusual, the passenger side starts moving before the drivers side so the wipers sort of chase each other across the screen and I too don't get a full sweep. I thought the rack or linkage from the motor to the wipers is probably badly worn. The 110 has done 173K so its probably seen a lot of rain in its time!

I also have wiper problems. The park switch has definitly gone, didn't realise you could get one separately, anyone know where from? My sweep pattern is also unusual, the passenger side starts moving before the drivers side so the wipers sort of chase each other across the screen and I too don't get a full sweep. I thought the rack or linkage from the motor to the wipers is probably badly worn. The 110 has done 173K so its probably seen a lot of rain in its time!

Hi Liam,

I changed my park switch and got one from ebay from a dealer called DLS LAND ROVER SPARES UK.

It cost about 10 quid and took about 10 minutes to change and most of that was trying to get the little screws out of the dash trim

Steve

• 3 months later...

I replaced the park switch on my 02 Defender with a replacement from DLS which cured the wipers not shutting off at all. It worked for a week, then the wipers switched themselves on and refused to stop until I pulled the fuse, or shut off the ignition.

Would the part fail after so little use, or could there be another problem.