batterys

gsr341

if i leave my 300tdi defender for around 4 days or so the battery has enought power to turn it over but only for a second so cnt start the engine , so its time for a new battery or two

so rather than stick another standard batt on what do i go for ,

very future plans are warn 8274 fron and rear , and around 4 lights on fron and 2 on rear , also plan on fitting a secon alternator , so what batterys are best for me ?

cheers

Dafydd

p.s who knows what ome springs i would be needing to support the 2 winches and a cage etc

I like my Optimas (both yellow, unimpressed with the red top I had) - although Hawker Oddysey PC1200's are arguably a better battery for winching and in the same price bracket. Jim (SV90) @ Gigglepin should be able to help you out on these.

Tony (White90) and one or two others here use some sort of agricultural battery which is a lot cheaper - and seems to perform very well. Don't know who makes them or what the model number is - but I guess they will be along to give enlightenment soon ;)

Si

Standing a LR for 4 days should not see a prob to start, before you blame your battery check to see if there is any current when its switched off, ie a permanent "Drain"

Disconnect Positive battery lead / calmp from battery, with everything switched off as though parked Connect a meter betweem the battery + termainl and the now loose battery + battery clamp, should be virtaully nothing, if there is a drain then find it and you may find you battery is ok ?

Just a thought

Nige

My 2p worth on cheaper agricultural/truck jobs: I ordered a blue top last January, when the cold had vanquished my truck battery [in combination with putting 15w40 in — 15w40 in the container was as solid as a lump of grease at -15/20°.]

However the weather then miraculously improved, I really didn't need the optima until this winter. I delayed changing; parking on the hill, until it had snowed so much that a rolling start was impossible; the sandwich construction of the truck battery makes it virtually useless beyond -5°, particularly for an aging diesel, on cold mornings. I know that it's still basically good for what it is, as it works in the warmth. The spiral/gel construction of the optimas does precisely what they promise: it works in cold weather. -15° no problem, Land Rover starts as well as a much newer vehicle.

So I'd say the cold you'll be facing should be the deciding factor for whether you'll need an optima or a cheaper big agricultural/truck sandwich battery.

Tony (White90) and one or two others here use some sort of agricultural battery which is a lot cheaper - and seems to perform very well. Don't know who makes them or what the model number is - but I guess they will be along to give enlightenment soon ;)

FIAMM 096

2 pages thread here

:)