Exhausting Problem

Nick Ninety

Problem.... I'm almost finished building a 300TDI 90 on a galv chassis. Rather than using the standard tank under the drivers seat, have used a plastic td5 tank in the standard td5 location (think this is much less likey get caught or bashed). The only issue is a normal exhaust now wants to occuply the same space as the tank.

I have a Rimmer Bros stainless middle box which I have cut the rear joint off leaving a short section of straight pipe directed at the tank heat shield above the rear axle. The idea is to get a stainless section made up to fit and slip over remaining straight section.

Don't want to risk driving anywhere with the exhaust blowing straight at the headshield on the plastic tank :o

So need to make up a section to direct the gases away from the tank.

Thinking of either using a short flexible section to complete the exhaust or weld up a normal steel section. This would probably a temp measure until I can get a stainless section made.

Does anyone know of a supplier of flexible exhaust pipe or exhaust pieces ? Either around Essex or willing to post parts.

I have searched the forums and found a few references to the flexy sections, but no details of suppliers.

Will try and post some piccys to show exactly the problem

The ATS in Horsham keep short lengths of flexi and solid steel tube. I guess other ATS's will too. Failing that, fish about in their skip until you find a large enough bend to go over your exisiting pipe, cut it off and fit it as a temporary measure. You might even find enough bits to make the section you need.

Any motor factor selling exhausts should be able to order flexi, liokely as not for next day - or same day if you get in first thing.

Chris

Thanks guys.

I'll try pop into a few places this weekend.

Normally have to resort to ordering from the web, since I'm stuck at work all week and nowhere usefull ever open at weekends.

Hopefully go the flexy route, don't my welding skills are up to exhausts yet. Got to learn sometime though...

Les been reading about Catflap, are you going for tricked up side exit setup ?

have used a plastic td5 tank in the standard td5 location (think this is much less likey get caught or bashed).

er

having owned/used both (old 90 with side tank and new 90 with rear tank) I think you'll be sadly disappointed in that... :blink:

Les been reading about Catflap, are you going for tricked up side exit setup ?

I did think about various ways of keeping it up out of the way, but wasn't sure if it would look good or incredibly stupiid. It'll exit through the PTO hole in the rear crossmember. Flexi stuff is convenient for making bends without awkward welding, but it is hard to seal and pots of Gun Gum or similar ruin what would otherwise look like a nice exhaust system. I've bought 2 x 6-foot lengths of 54mm O/D exhaust pipe and will fabricate bends/mounts/joints myself. I also bought the rear exhaust section for a 90 in order to use the resonator as the only means of silencing the engine. Too much flexi pipe also means the system suffers from brewers droop :P , and needs more support than you might otherwise need. If you feel you have to use it, then try to use as little as possible.

Les. :)

OK.. Les you've pretty much talked me out of the flexy.

Didn't have time this weekend to look for a exhaust stuff :( Too busy doing house stuff, under supervision from the other half.

I thought the TD5 uses a larger diameter tube than 300Tdi.

Will have a look at the later ROW exhausts, anyone got a part number ?

Don't want to spend too much money on a solution, since I'll get a stainless section made up later.

I thought the TD5 uses a larger diameter tube than 300Tdi.

It does, 2.5" for a TD5, 2" for a 300Tdi

In all honesty, you could probably run a Td5 rear silencer, with an adaptor to change from the 2" - the 2.5"...

I could make you one of these complete with Td5 flange if you get stuck....

Td5 box is stainless steel too... and they come up on Ebay quite cheap at times... or try some breakers, some Td5 stuff doesn't fetch that much money, due to lack of demand.

Will have a look at the later ROW exhausts, anyone got a part number ?

Had a look, but I need a chassis number from a RoW spec 90" as not quite sure which one it is.

I think its WCG102890... but not sure.

Ian

It'll exit through the PTO hole in the rear crossmember.

I tried that once but unless your rear door is extremely well sealed, it will suck exhaust fumes in the cab and you will feel pretty horrible after any trip that you do at modest speed.

My experience with driving a hard top.

Daan

Thanks to everyone who's contributed.... Will try to sort something this weekend if work permits. Might go the TD5 route if I can get one cheap, although only really want a straight through pipe. Will update and post some piccies one I sort something. Might be a while the speed I'm getting bits done at the moment :(