axle breathers

g90

naive question: are you saying that one shouldn't do too much wading without making breathers for axles? - what about all the other bits - diffs, transfer box, gearbox, fuel tank??

The axles (and indeed the gearbox, transfer box and fuel tank) should already have breathers installed but they are designed to cope with the landrover recommended wading depth. what most people who want to wade deeper do is fit longer breathers to allow greater wading depth.

Pete.

The axles (and indeed the gearbox, transfer box and fuel tank) should already have breathers installed but they are designed to cope with the landrover recommended wading depth. what most people who want to wade deeper do is fit longer breathers to allow greater wading depth.

Pete.

thanks - isn't it possible to extend existing breathers, or would the joint be unreliable?

thanks - isn't it possible to extend existing breathers, or would the joint be unreliable?

Yes it is possible to extend the originals but it will cost about the same as replacing with longer ones and as you say you could find the joint to be unreliable.

Pete.

The batery box is not watertight. It is not fulley sealed with either a weld or pop rivits...

Either leave those in the engine bay and extend the axle breathers.

Or do a full job and extend them up the snorkel or to roof level.

Look in B&Q for plastic pipe.

They have an old farts day on a wednesday. Nice discount for me.......

mike

6mm id isn't it?

anyone give an idea of how much tube is needed for the axles? I want to run mine just up into the engine bay.

If thisis for TD5, you just need tubing as you have push fit connectors already. You need 6mm OD tubing.

I ran new tubes from axles into engine bay. Cut existing transmission tube and used Y piece push fit to combine transmission and front axle into one. Then ran rear axle and this combined tube up snorkel.

If you do the same you need about 7-8m of tubing

Steve

when it says 2 Pneumatic fittings does that mean they supply 2 of them? or am I being stupid? :ph34r:

yes, you get 2 fittings.

i got all my pipe from him as well, quite cheap £7 for 30m of 6mm, which will probably do about 2 cars !

you can also get 1/4 bsp x 8mm pipe for your engine & bellhousing breathers :)

Gordon

By the time you have messed about with all the loose fittings and paid all the P&P's from all over the place you could have bought one of my lovely kits that does the axles, gearboxes and timing case all in one lovely kit..... there is a pic of one on my website.....

David :P

By the time you have messed about with all the loose fittings and paid all the P&P's from all over the place you could have bought one of my lovely kits that does the axles, gearboxes and timing case all in one lovely kit..... there is a pic of one on my website.....

true, but i wish to do the entire vehicle :)

G

If thisis for TD5, you just need tubing as you have push fit connectors already. You need 6mm OD tubing.

I ran new tubes from axles into engine bay. Cut existing transmission tube and used Y piece push fit to combine transmission and front axle into one. Then ran rear axle and this combined tube up snorkel.

If you do the same you need about 7-8m of tubing

Steve

Thanks Steve - it is for a TD5

Tempting, you could throw in a set of shock bushes in the pack as royal mail keep eating the ones you have kindly sent on 2 occasions!!!!! :P

Tempting, you could throw in a set of shock bushes in the pack as royal mail keep eating the ones you have kindly sent on 2 occasions!!!!! :P

No way!! Second set not arrived either???

Send me a PM with your address to make sure it is the right place I am sending them to! The original kit was sent via Interlink not the Royal Mail - perhaps they use different pigeons...

David