Shock Tech thread - thoughts please ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

Thanks for this and everything else. I am fairly sure that mounting shocks inboard the chassis will actually reduce damping which is the reverse of what I wnat, plus everytime I see QT stuff I think the welder must have been Stevie Wonder with Hiccups

Keep the thoughts coming, MX6s I still worry re flex as they are a bush :(

Nige

Yep, will reduce relitive damping but that's why you use a shock with a higher damping coefficient....

How about fox 2"???? Can be had for £125 a corner (with 7/8" shaft)

Mini update from some research

MX6s - 6 stage adjustment, middle setting about the same as a ES9000 then either Firmer or softer, and adjusts both

Have a rubber type bush / not sphereical bearings :(

Ohlins x several times more money, spherical Beraing and sepeartely adjustable rebound and damping and mid point adjustable from the start as to what you wnat

Anyone know a supplier of sperical bearings ?

Linky would be good, still thinking............... :)

Nige

The Ohlins are a popular shock in the racing world as you would already know.

I'm on the hunt for some Reiger to improve the racer would you be interested in the Foxes on my Racer there 2.5 inch front and 2" on the rear with two spares

Reigers are a little dearer than the Ohlins but different league in suspension

Any help?

LINK

Kin Hell :o

Now getting around to reading (At the mo I have sinusitus....+ lost my voice (yea :P) but have 500mg amoxicillins + scotch with a night nurse chaser :) ) and this is absolutely superb

52 pages, ..........thats "some link" :lol:

Lots to still read and learn up on

Keep it coming

Nige :)

Kin Hell :o

Now getting around to reading (At the mo I have sinusitus....+ lost my voice (yea :P) but have 500mg amoxicillins + scotch with a night nurse chaser :) ) and this is absolutely superb

52 pages, ..........thats "some link" :lol:

Lots to still read and learn up on

Keep it coming

Nige :)

It's a damn good page that one - a nice read even for those who aren't using coilovers.

OK

A question - which I have been wondering for a while, may be amswered in the print out I am reading but not yet....

Is there a "damping" value that shocks have ?

What I mean here is if you look at springs they tend to have length and poundage, thus comparing 2x differing springs you would tend to wnat to know the length and poundage of each, thus the 1st at 20 inches and 150 lbs vs 22 inches and 190 lbs instantly tells you the sort of differences to expect between them, you instantly know the sping 2 is a harder poundage a 2 " longer as well, etc etc etc.

With shocks you just hear people say "Pro comps are sift" and Rough Country are softer than procomps" and "Bilsteins damp much harder" :blink:

Surely to God there must be some measurement of how a shock damps on some sort of scale ?

This would be really useful, then at least you have a sensible meaurement of damping, I know that there is both compression and rebound, but I even spoke to Procomp re MX6s the answer was in the "Middle position sort of like a ES9000 and then either softer or harder as you click up or down :lol:"

FFS, that sounds madness, ie does each click add 10% (and to what) or 100% per click ?

Anyone know ?

Nige

PS Back to the reading now :)

AH HA !

Ok

More reading :)

On this basis does anyone have the valving numbers for any shocks here ?

Esp

Pro Comp ES9000

MX6s

Rough Country

OME N73 and the other ones Mr Lovers mentions eralier in this thread ?

Any others ?

Another Q - Sorry :lol: .....

Secondly, when fitting a shocker I have always tried to ensure that on full compression the shocker does still have a tad left on the shaft, but on say a std RR LR type bump stop which is rubber on a REALLY good upwards whack how much is that rubber going to compress ? - if even for a fraction of a second ??

Nige

Secondly, when fitting a shocker I have always tried to ensure that on full compression the shocker does still have a tad left on the shaft, but on say a std RR LR type bump stop which is rubber on a REALLY good upwards whack how much is that rubber going to compress ? - if even for a fraction of a second ??

I would spec it as if the bump-stop didn't exist, after all they can fall off.

AH HA !

Ok

More reading :)

On this basis does anyone have the valving numbers for any shocks here ?

Esp

Pro Comp ES9000

MX6s

Rough Country

OME N73 and the other ones Mr Lovers mentions eralier in this thread ?

Any others ?

Another Q - Sorry :lol: .....

Nige

The problem is, Nige, the damping is unlikely to be constant - most shocks will vary the damping depending on how hard you hit things. Otherwise you'd have the situation (which does still sometimes happen) that you hit something hard and blow the top off the shock. :unsure:

This is the problem with a system that is not 'off the shelf' as the dampers aren't going to be designed to work with the springs you've got. Hence the beauty of rebuildable shocks as you can valve them to suit. It takes someone with know-how to get it about right at first and then testing once everything's on the truck.

Nige, its not rocket science if we manage a setup that allows flex, still takes big hits at high speed and retains the road manners of normal car

(Will - they may be a little confusing because they feature a car actually driving)

Kimsyard.jpg

sorry - no super complex link systems, just dull old range rover junk

Beachcornering.jpg

same car, just going "a little" faster

mostly boils down to budget and use :ph34r:

OK

Can anyone confirm the following for Procomp, Rough Country OME N73s

Softest to Hardest damping / Valving....

Roughcountry

Pro comp

Old Man Emu N73s (Hardest)

Yes / No ? help

I have been very kindly lent a pair of +5 OME N73s to try,

have done a very quick fab n fit on the rears

and am going to see tommorrow off road

....but would like confirmed that these (OME) are as I think the firmest of the 3 options above ?

Also does anyone have info on the OME LTRs - Fully extended, fully closed . travel oprions .....and are they any firmer than N73s ?

ta

"Tommorrow...... I shall mainly be testing............." :lol:

Nige

Nige,

I would say that yes, rough country are the softest (I believe they are valved the same as a standard landrover shock) then the pro-comps and the N73 are then the stiffest. I say this having had all three types fitted at some point to my Discovery all using the same springs so the only variable was the shocks.

Nice of some one to lend you a set of N73 :ph34r: .

Have fun testing tomorrow,

Pete.

• 1 month later...

Update so far

Challenge wings are nearly finished and............... :rofl: ..........FFS too many things to do :(

I was lent a pair (read removed of mates truck :lol:) of Rough Country shocks - not +5s but they fitted and

IMVHO even softer than Procomps :( but both are in real terms a cheap shock - for the sort of money these are

you can't frankly expect too much - and for mosts applications they would prob be acceptable

However, didn't fancy £400 a corner Ohlins etc - so plan B was to try the set of borrowed N73 OMEs

I swapped Procomps +5 for the N73 +5s and .............. -

WOW :rolleyes: what a difference - The OME N73s actually damp :lol:

Shows how soft the procomps / Rough Countrys are / were

Plans now are to either try a set of N73s on the front as these too are at the mo procomps

and too soft, and then decide if I need more damping - I think I may be ok

Plus I am going from Caged Hardtop to Caged Truck cab, that will drop the weight on the

rear a fair bit, although its true my pies will need to come into the cab area

which will substainally change the COG and weight distribution :P

nige