Oh dear.....

bishbosh

What do they say about people who stick their noses in…..?

I decided this weekend I would finally remove the totally battered plastic sill trims on the Bishtail in preparation for the rocksliders I will shortly be fitting. So on Saturday afternoon I was out with a nice sharp chisel and the plastic fixing studs (those that hadn't been ripped off already :o ) were soon no more. Easy.

I then made my big mistake for the weekend and picked up my claw hammer and started "tapping" the sills to check for tin worm. Oh why oh why was I so foolish…? :unsure:

Off side rear:

DSC00007.JPG

Near side rear:

DSC00004.JPG

and worst of all, the bottom of the A post on the off side:

DSC00006.JPG

and

DSC00005.JPG

Bluddy typical Land Rover detailing to allow loads of cack in and stop it getting out again.. :angry: :angry:

So today it was time to introduce Mr Grinder to Mr Sill and carved out some nice holes. Didn't finsh by a long shot but it looks as though the rot is pretty localised so I should be able to let in some new steel.

I know it's nothing compares to some, but it's still abig deal, especially if you can't weld... :angry::(

Now, who fancies a bit of welding……? :ph34r:

What do they say about people who stick their noses in…..?

I decided this weekend I would finally remove the totally battered plastic sill trims on the Bishtail in preparation for the rocksliders I will shortly be fitting. So on Saturday afternoon I was out with a nice sharp chisel and the plastic fixing studs (those that hadn't been ripped off already :o ) were soon no more. Easy.

I then made my big mistake for the weekend and picked up my claw hammer and started "tapping" the sills to check for tin worm. Oh why oh why was I so foolish…? :unsure:

Off side rear:

DSC00007.JPG

Near side rear:

DSC00004.JPG

and worst of all, the bottom of the A post on the off side:

DSC00006.JPG

and

DSC00005.JPG

Bluddy typical Land Rover detailing to allow loads of cack in and stop it getting out again.. :angry: :angry:

So today it was time to introduce Mr Grinder to Mr Sill and carved out some nice holes. Didn't finsh by a long shot but it looks as though the rot is pretty localised so I should be able to let in some new steel.

I know it's nothing compares to some, but it's still abig deal, especially if you can't weld... :angry::(

Now, who fancies a bit of welding……? :ph34r:

Oh dear, Bish :(

Bad luck old chap.

I am sure it will be easy to sort though. You should have seen our Mini when we started tapping it with a hammer, we had to stop and sweep up halfway through :o

Will :)

Last Rangie I had I coul dput my whole hand inside the sills from below! Current one's absolutely rock solid, but most aren't. Yours looks pretty good to me! Localised, small holes, patches should sort it.

Just thought I would post a reply, it gets my numbers up anyway, ahving looked at the pics all I can say is "what good luck!" it could have been very very much worse.

A bit of steel and a MIG welder and the jobs done. Shouldnt take more than an afternoon.

Pump it full of waxoil afterwards, then when you weld it next time you can get a really good fire going.

Welding is not hard to learn, particularly MIG. An hours intruction should get you going.

Are you anywhere near Bromsgrove? I will show you how.

Geoff

Well, here's the result of today's activities with Mr Grinder:

Near side rear sill is the worst with a couple of holes in the bottom face as well as the side:

NSRsill2.JPG

And from the rear wheel arch:

NSRsill.JPG

Off side is better with ony one hole in the side:

OSRsill.JPG

and the pièce de résistance, the off side A post:

OSApost.JPG

and a bit of the footwell for good measure:

OSApost2.JPG

Of course I felt quite relieved that it ended there, but not being one to learn from past mistakes :unsure: I picked up my trusty hammer and started to investigate the inner wing:

InnerWingFront.JPG

can you tell where the plastic wheel arch was mounted... :lol:

Innerwingback.JPG

I just hope Jonathan knows what he's let himself in for!! :ph34r:

Charles

that looks in very good order for a Rangie

a few plates and a bit of time with Mr MIG will have that sorted.

I've seen far worse on newer vehicles.

once welded spray some waxoyl in there.

alternativley if you would like to see a Fire spray the waxoyl in there then weld it :P

Tony