2.5TD rebuild

So whats the big difference between a 2.5TD and 200 TDi and why leave out the 'i' on the 2.5TD?

Presumably the 200 TDi was the first Diesel to be used on RR or Disco 1 apart from the diesel used in RR late 80's which I have forgotten the engine name and wasn't a LR unit anyway?

Big difference is the TD was indirect injection & the Tdi's are Direct injection, makes hell of a difference on bhp/torque & driveability

TD = Turbo Diesel

Tdi = Turbocharged Direct Injection

the Tdi was a big leap forward in small [sub 3 litre] direct injection diesel engines for LR & most other manufacturers soon latched on as the way to go.

The Tdi cylinder head is also alloy and the combustion chambers are in the piston crowns.

Very little is interchangeable between the engines except the tappet slides and rollers. (Found this out when buying bits for a 2.25 3 bearing diesel being reconditioned).

thanks Badger -

I've cut my losses and swapped a spare lump that I had in the garage - took me all day though what with swapping various bits and bobs from one to another!

Just got timing belt to do tonight and can then re-plumb and away she goes, I hope :blink:

D.

Oops! looks pretty bad :)

The pistons are AE, which I think are not original items, so they may have been replaced previously.

Standard size still and the top of the bore doesn't appear to be badly lipped. If that's the case, then just new piston kits, head gasket, and some RTV sealant and it's all back together and running.

Make sure your cooling system is in good order - this problem is usually caused by over heating.

Les.

Turbo diesel original equipment pistons are AE Hepolite.

Cracket pistons are due to combustion problems caused by overheating and/or faulty fuel injection equipment.

FridaT

Turbo diesel original equipment pistons are AE Hepolite.

Cracket pistons are due to combustion problems caused by overheating and/or faulty fuel injection equipment.

FridaT

AE are original equipment piston supplier for:

2.25 petrol & diesel

2.5 petrol, diesel & TD

V8 engines

There probably are a few more but the engine type would not be part of our range.

FridaT

www.turner-engineering.co.uk