Odd noise

Exmoor Beast

My 110s developed a very odd noise, I haven't had chance to look yet but thought I'd give your diagnostic brains a workout :)

Seems to be coming from the rear OS wheel (drum braked Salibury axle). At low speed its a ting ting ting at each wheel rotation, progressing to a noise like a slowly turned football supporters rattle as you speed up. My first thoughts were wheelbearing disintegrated but they were new only about two months ago and anyway theres no heat being generated.

I know the brake shoes are nearly down to the metal, I've been and picked up some new ones this afternoon to do them at the weekend.

One other thing I noticed is that the noise seems to stop going around roundabouts :blink:

Any thoughts?

Will :)

The cup washers may be rattling about as you drive along. When you turn, the shock is compressed, which then stops them from rattling. Just a guess really, but worn shock lower mounts do rattle about/make a tinkling noise. Maybe you have a brake spring broken - that makes a very similar noise.

Les.

Definately OS wheel and its in the hub somewhere, I moved the 110 this morning with the handbrake off and you can make it ting at exactly the same spot forwards and backwards. busted brake spring does sound a possibility. Tomorrow will tell no doubt :)

I'll report back...

Oh and thanks David :( I was paranoid already, now I'll have to take the prop off anyway to check it ;)

Will,

Somewhere in the middle of the dash just above the rear wash/wipe and lighter socket you'll find a squarish box with a few buttons on it.

On the left normally is a rotary control - if you turn it clockwise you'll find it'll sort of cancels out the noise from the rear. Just do that.

Failing that simply get a set of ear defenders and drive with the window up and sing your favourite tune very loudly.

:D

Matt

The cup washers may be rattling about as you drive along. When you turn, the shock is compressed, which then stops them from rattling. Just a guess really, but worn shock lower mounts do rattle about/make a tinkling noise. Maybe you have a brake spring broken - that makes a very similar noise.

Les.

Hallelujah! I think that you have just id'd my own irritating noise from the rear end.... Other than the obvious :ph34r:

Will,

Somewhere in the middle of the dash just above the rear wash/wipe and lighter socket you'll find a squarish box with a few buttons on it.

On the left normally is a rotary control - if you turn it clockwise you'll find it'll sort of cancels out the noise from the rear. Just do that.

Failing that simply get a set of ear defenders and drive with the window up and sing your favourite tune very loudly.

:D

Matt

Mine has an up arrow, similar principle and it seems to stop the noise as you say. I'm not sure its legal to drive a defender with the window up is it? i've never seen anyone do it :blink:

Nige :P

I'm not sure its legal to drive a defender with the window up is it? i've never seen anyone do it :blink:

Nige :P

All you have to do is sit in the middle seat so you have enough elbow room, handbrake is abit of a pain as it sticks in your left leg but its do-able :lol:

Will.

Finally got to it :)

Rear brakes were down to the metal and the whole OS drum was full of carp, cleaned it all up, changed the linings and the noise has gone. I couldn't see what the cause was though, strange...

Its certainly stopping a lot better now!