Leaf spring bushes

Jason2

Any one got a top tip on how to get leaf spring bushes out and back in (of a vehicle that's been in a field for 10 years)?

Thanks in advance.

Get someone else to do it.

Sorry - couldn't help that.

no, no tips - it's a sod of a job, the only thing that helps is if ensure that the hole, once the bush has been removed, is perfect by gently cleaning it with a hand reamer.

For ease of fitment polybusheds are recommended - however some report they wear very fast.

G.

Any one got a top tip on how to get leaf spring bushes out and back in (of a vehicle that's been in a field for 10 years)?

Thanks in advance.

Assuming you have managed to get the springs off the vehicle, I would drill through the rubber part of the bush in several places until the inner and outer parts are separate. This is more eco friendly than burning then out as many have done before.

Then carefully hacksaw through the outer steel bush until it can be curled inwards and easily removed. This method has never let me down yet, ten minutes is usually enough per bush.

Once the bush is out, clean up the hole in the spring or chassis as appropriate.

To fit the a bush, I grease its outer diameter and press it in with a decent bench vice. If you have cleaned the hole sufficiently this should be tight but not impossible.

To fit a bush to the chassis I use a length of M12 high tensile studding and some decent nuts, with some bushes I turned up to fit, to pull the bush in. You could use a couple of sockets from the 1/2" set instead.

No photos available I'm afraid, but I hope I've explained this well enough.

Just another thought - if the vehicle has stood for that long, some new springs may be in order.

Michael

Thanks !

Was hopeing to change in situ, but if the springs have to come off so be it!

There is a tool called the Bushwacka that can be used for changing bushes on the vehicle, but it's mega expensive for what it is.

By the time you have undone the spring bolts, it's not much more work to remove the U bolts holding the spring to the axle. Then you can work on the spring in a more comfortable position.

Michael

Last one I did (which wasn't in a spring but never mind) I dug all the rubber out (it was half apart anyway, proper dead!) and then hacksawed through the sidewall, you can then use a hammer & small bolster / punch to get the outer out. Refitting - I used Polybushes :P

I tend to use a blowlamp where heat isn't a problem -heat the centre of the old bush until the rubber is bubbling (no need to burn it right out -the fumes are horrid) then you should be able to push it out with a large screwdriver.

Then it's a hacksaw to remove a chunk of rubber from the outer casing, (this makes the next bit easier) and then hacksaw the outer case, chisel, punch and hammer do the rest -try to peel up one edge, to make it a smaller diamter -this will break the rust seal more easily.

• 2 months later...

So once one has mastered the art of getting the little tinkers out how does one get the git's back in?

Haveing perticular problems with the front chassis bushes, rushing I managed to wreck one knocking it in with a soft mallet :(

Bush in freezer? chassis in oven? make a puller?

Cheers Jason

polybushes........ absolute waste trying to get genuine bushes back in with brute force and ignorance / force of will / psychokinetic powers.

i would rather pay someone else to do it than waste hours of my life with a rubber bush in a series chassis!

Just pay a few quid extra, get some decent polybushes and 30 seconds later they are fitted!!! As for ride comfort etc, its a series! they aint a rolls royce so get over it and accept polys are a bit stiffer :D

As for them wearing out quicker... yep i'm sure they do, but you could remove the springs and replace a polybush and refit the springs about 5 times in the time it takes to remove a rusted in bush and somehow squeeze a new genuine bush back in!

Hi guys

how long do polybushes last compaired to std bushes as i am coming to the point of replacing all my springs my back springs were fitted last year ( carp part ) and they are now more or less straight and i don't carry any weight in it and has only done light green laning since fitting them i have also noticed a clonk on the back suspect a rear bush gone and i think i have a partialy siezed front spring which were fitted two years ago so i am thinking of fitting parabolic springs but don't know which bushes i should fit can anyone put me in the right direction ?

graham.

polybushes........ absolute waste trying to get genuine bushes back in with brute force and ignorance / force of will / psychokinetic powers.

i would rather pay someone else to do it than waste hours of my life with a rubber bush in a series chassis!

Just pay a few quid extra, get some decent polybushes and 30 seconds later they are fitted!!! As for ride comfort etc, its a series! they aint a rolls royce so get over it and accept polys are a bit stiffer :D

As for them wearing out quicker... yep i'm sure they do, but you could remove the springs and replace a polybush and refit the springs about 5 times in the time it takes to remove a rusted in bush and somehow squeeze a new genuine bush back in!

Well I've got them know so the "barstools" are going in one way or another ;)

I don't even think polys are more money, I tend to buy the deflex kits from paddocks which are not the highest quality but they send you a bag containing every bush ever made for a Series, which means you get loads of spares as the LWB is different to the SWB.

Sorted, piece of pish :P

First bush was a bit of a cow as I was useing 12mm threaded bar to pull it into the chassis that kept threading/snapping, so for the second one I used a long 14mm bolt-sweet as ;)

Thanks for the help!

I made my own bushwacka, which worked well, until the bush ws almost home, at which point the outer tube curled over all the way round - making the outer tube rather funnel like! Nightmare. Luckily I only had one to do, and the truck isn't road going. I have polys on their way!