Rear heated window

Had a play with the wiring this lunchtime and took the rear door card off and can't see the problem with it. So I took the switch out the front and couldn't see a problem there either. Without taking the dash apart (as seems to be becoming a regular occurrence) Is there anywhere else I should check too? Rear window is now unusable in the mornings as its cold now.

Ooo, actually need to check the fusebox but last time I checked that it was intact and still not working. I wiring loom for the rear lights and back door runs under the car and I don't particularly want to go picking at it.

Have you checked the voltage sensing relay behind the dash? There is a tech thread on this one.

This is what was causing mine to not work.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=194

Now I just need to repaint the elements on the window as I only have 3 working. And what with the high back seats and tyre on the door, I can't see anything behind me.

You can get them on Ebay for a couple of pounds but I have never bothered as the tech archive trick works a treat. Suppose it might be an idea to buy one for the next time I have to remove the dash.

Which can sometimes be a daily occurance. :rolleyes:

Now I just need to repaint the elements on the window as I only have 3 working. And what with the high back seats and tyre on the door, I can't see anything behind me.

What do you re-paint it with? I've a few that could do with fixing.

I remember doing this way back when on an old Mk3 cortina - but since then I'd imagine there is less call for this kind of repair? and I certainly can't remember what it was called!

Halfrauds do window electrical paint for not too much... and this was bought recently depsite the 'vintage' packaging. [Edit: same as the one Western linked to]

post-4939-1224271080_thumb.jpg

And this is what the VSS looks like:

Voltage Sensitive Switch: Part PRC4427

post-4939-1224271100_thumb.jpg

Hey it's so easy and effective even a lady can do it ! Remarkable subliminal messaging ;)

Mo

Yes but only with a very steady hand.

I would highly recommend buying a 0 or 00 brush and forgetting the one that comes with the kit as it is wide enough to paint the lines on the road and no use for the window. To be honest, the cardboard template that comes with the kit is useless as well.

I did mine at the w/end after having the kit sat on the bench for months and it was all going well until the dog came round to see me and bumped into my legs.

• 1 month later...

My HRW does not work.

I have swapped the VSR for another one and no joy. It could be that both are duff but.....

Fuse OK, but no power to the fuse.

Switch works as the light on the dash comes on. Could it be the relay itself (rather than the VSR)? Would the dash light work regardless of the condition of the relay? I don't have a wiring diagram that shows the HRW circuit and even if I did I doubt I'd understand it!! :lol::lol:

All help appreciated!

Well, I spent literally minutes sucking my teeth and taking random measurements with a multimeter to no avail. :(

I then decided to follow the advice in the tech archive and lo and behold - it works!! :) and only one dead fillament too!

Thanks all :i-m_so_happy: