td5 to 300tdi

As the title says really -

How easy - sensible and practical is it to 'retro' fit a 300tdi to a newer td5 90.

Surely this must be a nightmare - I guess mechanically it all mates up does it??? but the electrics must be a chore.

What happens at MOT time (emissions)

Work colleague has what he thinks is a cracked piston (Understood to be common) and is inclined to go for a 300tdi, rather than a straight swap - I think he has probably lost the plot especially as I am going to get roped in to labour/grease monkey on the project.

Any comments help or advice appreciated.

Bear in mind that the 99> Defenders were produced as a 300Tdi in limited numbers for the export market right up to end of 06MY so you could actually do it with all original factory parts if you wanted to :)

It would be a fair amount of work but is certainly doable.

Guest diesel_jim

At worst you'll need a Tdi gearbox bellhousing and input shaft.

a pair of engine mounts

engine/radiator/pipes etc.

There are plenty of broken Tdi defenders, buy a complete bulkhead and strip off the bits you need (wiring loom/throttle pedal/heater/water header tank etc etc)

As western says, axles & diffs are the same (OK, a late Td5 110 has a different rear axle, but that doesn't change anything). if you fit the Tdi bellhousing to the gearbox, you can weld the engine mounts to suit so nothing else needs changing.

Or try contacting M&D engineering.... they do kits to convert Td5's into the international 2.8 (which is physically the same outer dimensions as a 300Tdi) so they may do a "conversion" wiring loom to change the bulkhead electrics.

But like has been said.... Td5's don't regularly break pistons. just get a replacement piston or a short block.

Our 2.8TGV conversion guy here stopped doing TD5s as it was too much like hard work sourcing all the bits, partly because we have next to no scrap 300Tdis except those that have been in accidents. No rust + no MOT, you see. A conversion on a 300Tdi is a doddle.

But the most impressive Disco I have ever driven was an auto 2.8. Absolutely no turbo latency, torque from idle, you move your right foot and it just goes! A Defender with that engine is crying out for the 1.2:1 Disco transfer box.

On the TD5 piston front, we had one that broke a piston, well actually the small end disintegrated completely taking the rod and the piston with it. We bought a cheepo replacement piston. You could peel the graphite coating off with your fingernail! Still, in it went and the engine is still going ok AFAIK. (Britpart strikes again).