Spray Painting Ali Question

Hybrid_From_Hell

Not as in "Read" :P, as in "Chequer plate"

Much tho I LOATHE :angry: CP, I will be having some on the wings tops.

Question for the painters in here :)

This is brand new sparkly shiney chequer plate,

do I need to prep it before giving it to a sprayer,

or will etch primer eat into whatever is on it / the shiney surface ?

If Not, then how the %*^& do you prep it for painting as a DA SAnder aint going to get into the sunken bits ?

Help

Nige

add some protektacote to them instead, makesthem look less like chequerplate and also adds a bit of grip to them. this concealer has been on mine for a few months now and is holding up well. won't scratch like paint either.

Erm....Ibbledibblesquich :ph34r:

Any chance you could do this at a more basic level so I can understand better - the "You F Muppet" level would be fine :) ?

nige

ive had nightmares trying to get paint to stick to the stuff id like to know this too ive tryed everything

as others have said light sand blast not shot you could degrease it with cellulose thinners etc and paint but it will flake and crack we even used recycled copper slag to lightly blast it if its only small areas perhaps a needle gun etc to get a key

as others have said light sand blast not shot you could degrease it with cellulose thinners etc and paint but it will flake and crack we even used recycled copper slag to lightly blast it if its only small areas perhaps a needle gun etc to get a key

once or twice a year, Aldi have little shotblast guns - run off a compressor small enough to be just used with spraygun: £10.00!. Get fine abrasive (ali is very soft) cleans and keys the surface all in one go. Keep the stuff OUT of any air intakes, engine bay. Coat as soon after as possible - having removed all dust.

Suggestions for nice sticky primer with a bit of build, anyone?

once or twice a year, Aldi have little shotblast guns - run off a compressor small enough to be just used with spraygun: £10.00!. Get fine abrasive (ali is very soft) cleans and keys the surface all in one go. Keep the stuff OUT of any air intakes, engine bay. Coat as soon after as possible - having removed all dust.

Suggestions for nice sticky primer with a bit of build, anyone?

I've used etch primer from Hallam Factors, 379 Penistone Rd, Sheffield 0114 23 23 188. They sell it in aerosols or paint and activator (phosphoric acid) If you get the seperates you can mix it as thick as you like, it's apparently plastic based. I brushed it on my Landy after GRIT-blasting the panels and there hasn't been the slightest hint of any problems.

Erm....Ibbledibblesquich :ph34r:

Any chance you could do this at a more basic level so I can understand better - the "You F Muppet" level would be fine :) ?

nige

i'm afraid that its not too complicated, its just a bedliner that you can apply yourself without spray equipment.

http://www.protectakote.co.uk/bedliner.htm this be the stuff, seems my spelling sucks.

its got granules of polyurethane in it to make it a grippy surface. prep can be either by xylene or hot soapy water. being a cheapskate i used a die grinder with wire wheel to roughen up the surface f the wing tops, washed them with mr muscle and then applied a special metals primer from b&q. once this was on they needed a few coats of protectakote rollered on and job was a goodun. looks might be divisive, but i've never had anyone comment on them so i don't know. ill try and take some pics of them. its glossy colour lasted only a few weeks and nowit is a matt black whick i rather prefer. if shiny's your thing, then you can get u-v stable stuff.

anyway it makes them not look like chequerplate, just a black high grip surface, which is kind of what i was after, the wings being a useful place to stand, but a nasty place to fall off.

AH HA

Understand now, prob is I am wanting them [tart mode on] colour coded [/tart mode almost off :P ]

Will, self etch - will it eat through the very new very polished chequerplate finish - or do I need to do more ?

I may know a mate who can blast them, need to check what he can offer on ALi, guess balsted then the etch will defo stick :)

Nige

AH HA

Understand now, prob is I am wanting them [tart mode on] colour coded [/tart mode almost off :P ]

Will, self etch - will it eat through the very new very polished chequerplate finish - or do I need to do more ?

I may know a mate who can blast them, need to check what he can offer on ALi, guess balsted then the etch will defo stick :)

Nige

Dark-Grey.jpg

they do it in a few shades of grey too as it happens. i have that colour lining my rear load bed. it stayed shiny because its inside.

AH HA

Nige

Like i said up top, scotch brite is the easiest way, other than blasting to remove the shineyness - and yes, remove it before etching cos it'll stick better :)

There is another solution.

Keronite

This is a ceramic coating bonded to the bare alloy using an electrolite in a tank with lots of amps shoved through it.

This makes a very stable surface for powder coat or spray.

Patriot Roof Racks have started using it 6 months ago to prevent powder coat flaking, especially where fastenings are used.

You can also use Duralac - http://www.intek-uk.com/duralac.htm a paste when using stainless steel or non alloy fastenings, to avoid galvanic corrosion.

Keronite can be found here - http://www.keronite.com/

Mind you finding someone to do it for you might not be easy, however Powdertech in Bicester - http://www.powdertech.co.uk/ have a keronite application and a powder coat line.

Another tip for keeping painted/coated alloy looking fresh and shiny is to use WD40 when cleaning.

Otherwise a lacquer coat if you have any left over after doing your nails :D

John

AH HA

Nige

I'd prep the surface first using some fine wet'n'dry or a scotch brite just to make sure.

As Headhunter mentioned - duralac is a great product too (but for doing different things). Discovered it for the Lotus and it is superb for preventing galvanic corrosion. Very good between ali panels and steel mounting tabs B)

^^^

Is that the same stuff that causes Superman problems ? :ph34r:

I fink a quick blasting from mateys commercial blaster unit and some beer tokens winning at the moment :)

Nige

Similar /\ /\ /\

Williams coat the pistons for Formula 1 with keronite as do BMW Oracle on the Lewmar winches for their Americas Cup yachts to improve the friction on the drum and resist heat.

I wonder if Gigglepin could develop alloy rope drums coated in keronite for the 8274!

No I do not work for keronite.

John