Trying to sort out an Irish holiday

stuntman

Hello one and all.

I was wondering if someone could help, this is what I'm looking to do:

Travel Via ferry to southern Ireland, on the 16th of December, returning on the 20th of December.

I'd like to go to either Cork or Limmerick, ideally somewhere myself and the other half can do the Irish experience, Irish music and culture etc.

I'm just a little shocked at the prices for the ferry, I'm in a defender 110 with 2" lift and a roof rack, so I know I'm getting charged extra for the height and length.

Can anyone recomend either Cork or Limmerick or anywhere else that would be great to seen?

Maybe some laning with some of you Irish Lads :lol: .

And maybe an idea on costs, I know I'm asking alot but I thought you may be able to help.

Thanks in advance

Andi

Hi Andi

Yes ferry fares are dear, I get discount as a frequent user but still cry when typing in my credit card! Always dearer during school hols as well. I use Irish Ferries Pembroke-Rosslare, usually loads room and comfy seats. If you choose Stena from Fishguard, go for club class, boat is not as comfortable. There is a Stena fast ferry but gets cancelled if weather is bad.

Cork and it's surroundings are nice, I have a sister who lives in the city and have done a few pub crawls with her. Limerick isn't as good a city but the surrounding countryside is fine.

No such thing as a green lane in Ireland but it's easy to get off the beaten track taking tiny country lanes up into the hills.

I'm only a recent blow in but a couple of the Hillbillys lurk here as well and hopefully come up with some suggestions.

Hi Andi

I live about10 miles from Limerick on the south side if you are looking for the irish experience ( trad music etc) then you should head to County Clare around Doolin on the west coast is really good, the scenery here is really fab too as you are in the Burren. Usually the ferry from Wales to Rosslare is fairly cheap at this time of the year, I suspect you journey is coming in under the Christmas period. so everything is more expensive. If you are over this way let me know and we will organise something, however there are no "lanes" in Ireland like those in the Uk. If you need any more info drop me a pm

K

thy this the burren

For a ferry booking call Allsport logistics - 01873 850025 .Very helpful chap,very cheap (like - half price).

Cork city is a pleasant lively city,but if you have the time head for County Clare (I'm biassed,I used to live there) and Galway city.

East Clare has the best music in Ireland,and West Clare the best coast.

Don't know about off-roading in Ireland,but you could try contacting someone from Munster4x4.com (Freddy Stryker,perhaps) - I have just recently come back from The Three Peaks Challenge organised by them,and can vouch for their being the most freindly and helpful people you could wish to meet.

Enjoy your Holiday. Jerry.

I'll just add to this to say that Kew is a top bloke, and he did us all proud when we went over there last year in our trucks! He is a great host!

The scenery over there is fantastic, and the people friendly. The roads are terrible however! You'll be glad you're in a landrover!

Yes the ferry is expensive, and seems to go a odd times, but the diesel is cheap! On the subject of diesel we found that petrol stations in some areas could be well spread out, so make sure you keep your tank topped up!

We went Pembrooke-Rosslaire, and then went cross country all the way down to Kilarney, and did the ring of Kerry etc. Driving on the beach at Inch was also one of the highlights!

Jon

The only thing I will add to the advice given is that 16th to 20th is very short. Don't forget that it will take a full day travelling each way. That leaves you with 3 days in Ireland propper. Not very long really.

I'll just add to this to say that Kew is a top bloke, and he did us all proud when we went over there last year in our trucks! He is a great host!

The scenery over there is fantastic, and the people friendly. The roads are terrible however! You'll be glad you're in a landrover!

Yes the ferry is expensive, and seems to go a odd times, but the diesel is cheap! On the subject of diesel we found that petrol stations in some areas could be well spread out, so make sure you keep your tank topped up!

We went Pembrooke-Rosslaire, and then went cross country all the way down to Kilarney, and did the ring of Kerry etc. Driving on the beach at Inch was also one of the highlights!

Jon

Drove my first ever vehicle on Inch Beach aged 12, guess what it was a 109!

John

I'm thinking of doing this!

My Dad now lives in County Offaly and I've been meaning to go over in the Landy and explore for a while.

I was planning on going from Hollyhead. My brother went recently with a 4wd and I think it was £130 for the car and 3 people.

I've absolutely no idea of where to go playing in the Landy though.

Drove my first ever vehicle on Inch Beach aged 12, guess what it was a 109!

John

Apparrently its illegal now! oooooooops!!! :blink:

Thats said the Guarda were there as we drove onto the bech and didnt bat an eyelid! They seem alot more laid back than our plod do!

Jon

I'm thinking of doing this!

My Dad now lives in County Offaly and I've been meaning to go over in the Landy and explore for a while.

I was planning on going from Hollyhead. My brother went recently with a 4wd and I think it was £130 for the car and 3 people.

I've absolutely no idea of where to go playing in the Landy though.

Have a look on the CLRI web site. (more Dublin based tho) Theres usually something on most weekends. Clri have an agreement with Coilte(state owned forrestry) to use lands in the Wicklow mountains, also a few private sites / small disused quarrys dotted about the place too.