200 TDI Engine mounts

88inchthing

Hi all

I have a 200 TDI Engine in my Series 3.I used series diesel mounts when i fitted it, but they do not provide adequate isolation. I am aware that Welding in Disco mounts will cure the problem, but before i do so just wondered what others have used? can Defender Mounts be used? All ideas welcome

Cheers Bill

Hi

i used petrol engine mount rubbers on series engine mounts and the engine is nice and steady.

graham.

I suspect the vibration is as much due to the condition of the engine and mounts as the type of mounts used. I have relatively little vibration, despite using 19J rubbers instread of Series or Tdi, as RJBlank saw at Glencoyne's workshop. Then again, the engine was rebuilt, I have new injectors and the engine is set up dead right.

Try setting the timing and valves as accurately as possible and flushing the injection system with a cleaning additive before you worry too much about the mounts.

Haha you are worried about vibration in a Series 3....

Well it's funny you say that, my goal is to make it smoother than a lexus. Do you think this will be difficult? :D The point is the TDI conversion is great but vibration at idle is very harsh. This i think is due to the engine being direct injection. The problem can be solved with Disco mounts i am just wondering if there is an easyier way.

Bill

Hi

i used petrol engine mount rubbers on series engine mounts and the engine is nice and steady.

graham.

Hi Graham

I tried petrol mounts first, and then fitted brand new Diesel mounts including the gaerbox. The engine is steady it's just the vibration through the dash ect that i would rather not live with. How is this on your truck?

Bill

You will always have a problem with excess vibration.

Defender mounting rubbers can be persuaded to fit,might help a little bit but might also allow the engine/gearbox to move side to side and touch on the bulkhead.

Steve

Hi Steve

There is a chap on here who has improved the situation by useing Disco mounts. I supose my question is do Defender mounts have the same effect.

Bill

I suspect the vibration is as much due to the condition of the engine and mounts as the type of mounts used. I have relatively little vibration, despite using 19J rubbers instread of Series or Tdi, as RJBlank saw at Glencoyne's workshop. Then again, the engine was rebuilt, I have new injectors and the engine is set up dead right.

Try setting the timing and valves as accurately as possible and flushing the injection system with a cleaning additive before you worry too much about the mounts.

Hi Mate

The mounts are new and the engine has been rebuilt and is set up spot on. Take your point on the injectors though. I reckon yours is smoother because you have used 19j rubbers which i think are larger than the series items.

Bill

Hi Graham

I tried petrol mounts first, and then fitted brand new Diesel mounts including the gaerbox. The engine is steady it's just the vibration through the dash ect that i would rather not live with. How is this on your truck?

Bill

Hi bill

i haven't noticed any vibrations but the chassis is fairly new ( galv ) and the bulkhead has been fully rebuilt i have the cb and sterio fastened to it and it doesn't vibrate.

graham.

Hi Mate

The mounts are new and the engine has been rebuilt and is set up spot on. Take your point on the injectors though. I reckon yours is smoother because you have used 19j rubbers which i think are larger than the series items.

Bill

Some people who have used Discovery mounts on their conversions have said that mine vibrates less than theirs. it could be the injectors, but it could be the mounts too. Either way, apart from the fact that Marsland cocked up the chassis brackets' alignment, the 19J mounts work well. Since your engine is a good one, not just a pull-out and drop-in swap, then the rubbers may be worth swapping - they aren't that dear, and it'd be simpler to try 19J rubbers bfore going to the trouble of fitting Discovery mounts.

Could be worth adjusting the idle speed a little as the engine may be exciting a resonance in the bulkhead assembly or mounting arrangement.

Yeah a good point. Trouble is i like to off road it, and already have 235/85's and rr diffs so i can'i afford to go any faster in low box at idle. Do you think slowing the idle speed will help? maybe it's worth a try.

I suspect the vibration is as much due to the condition of the engine and mounts as the type of mounts used. I have relatively little vibration, despite using 19J rubbers instead of Series or Tdi,

19J 2.5TD rubber mounts & Defender 200Tdi mounts are exactly the same item.

I have the disco mounts in my 88" series III, 200TDI. Shortly after I installed the TDI, I saw Snagger's TDI. They were about the same on vibration. Since that time however, through driving and cleaning the injectors, the engine runs noticeably smoother than it did when I first installed it. I would be interested to have another comparison done.

I have seen a few of the TDI installs with the series mounts... some are smoother than others, som will rattle your teeth out at idle...

I have the disco mounts in my 88" series III, 200TDI. Shortly after I installed the TDI, I saw Snagger's TDI. They were about the same on vibration. Since that time however, through driving and cleaning the injectors, the engine runs noticeably smoother than it did when I first installed it. I would be interested to have another comparison done.

I have seen a few of the TDI installs with the series mounts... some are smoother than others, som will rattle your teeth out at idle...

O.K so I still want to change the mounts but I am now going to run some injector cleaner thruogh it first, as i would like to see the difference.

My feeling is that Disco mounts are going provide the most isolation, but I may well go for Defender mounts I don't really whant to cut and weld my Chassis.

I would be very interested to see either in the flesh.

Bill

O.K so I still want to change the mounts but I am now going to run some injector cleaner thruogh it first, as i would like to see the difference.

My feeling is that Disco mounts are going provide the most isolation, but I may well go for Defender mounts I don't really whant to cut and weld my Chassis.

I would be very interested to see either in the flesh.

Bill

I will be back the 1st of Feb... That may be too long for you. It looks like you are in the same area as I am (Mildenhall). You are more than welcome to check mine out when I return...

I will be back the 1st of Feb... That may be too long for you. It looks like you are in the same area as I am (Mildenhall). You are more than welcome to check mine out when I return...

1st of feb is fine mate i'm in no rush. How close are you to Mildenhall? I honestly thought I was the only one riding about round here with a TDI Series.