rear winch mount

rob90

hi.

I bought a deveon 4x4 winch tray like this one. It arrived today and when I lay under my truck and offered it up there was a big gap so much so im not going to be able to weld it into place.

Has any one bought and fitted one or any ideas how to make it work for the rear winch.

some pics against a spare cross member to give some idea, obviously im not going to weld it in where it is now.

21112008098.jpg

the gap measures 16mm or 8mm a side

21112008099.jpg

21112008100.jpg

21112008101.jpg

any suggestions gratefully recieved

How wide is the one you have been supplied with?- The website does say approx 600mm wide. As has been said if they supply them such that they fit one chassis exactly then they won't fit another... Land rover tolerances appear to be to the nearest foot or so....

I can guarantee that if the items is faulty you will have no problem with Si Buck at D4X4 resolving the issue fairly- indeed even if it is not their fault they will come up trumps.

That's way out - assuming your chassis is straight I'd send it back and ask them to take the blindfold off next time :ph34r:

I had this same problem with devon, they said maybe i was sent one from their first batch which could be why it didnt fit correctly. Unfortunatley i'm on the is of man. Also with mine the winch didnt fit inthe cradle neither. sooooooo i cut out both sides so the winch sould fit in and then got some more sheet steel and welded it onto the sides there for allowing the winch to fit in and more importantly fit nicer inbetween the chassi rails :D

not ideal but worked

so send it back and ask for a wider one or diy it. diy everytime aleast you will know its correct. in your case no one will see the modification :D

Bit of an update..

i cut some plate to size with the plasma. and puddle welded it as well as the edges

25112008105.jpg

I did have good intentions to do it with the drill, to get nice round holes but soon got bored and just blasted them out with the plasma

so it looks like this

25112008109.jpg

managed to get the cross member cut out too

25112008111.jpg

so there should be a rear winch in that hole by tea tomorrow.

everybody should own a V8 and a plasma cutter

• 4 weeks later...