Range Rover classic extended arches

Young bobtail Rhys

Nope no catching on the door as when the rear wheel articulates it moves up and backwards, therefore you need a larger gap at the rear of the arch.

Ah ok, well I hadn't tried mine yet to check, I would have jacked it up to have a look before I attacked it with the grinder :rolleyes:

Reggie,

I wouldn't worry about the arches not being flexi. Mine are fibreglass and they have taken a few knocks and are very tough. They are much stronger than my wing as I found out <_<

I have to completely disagree with this. Avoid fibreglass arches like the plague if you go anywhere near trees, banks, infact anything vaguely solid!

Yes they look the business, but you will soon tire of repairing them.

Rhys - you are obviously not trying hard enough! :lol::lol::P

The arches I've ordered are the flexi not fibreglass as I didn't fancy having to repair them if I damage one. I scuffed a bank once & gauged the rear quarter so the thought of having a fibreglass arch fitted while doing that made me think twice.

You could always tell your MoT man to mind his own business! Mine told me that sticky out wheels are a construction and use issue and not part of the test.

Thing is I asked an MOT chap the other week that I know quite well & he told me "no way would it pass an MOT, now its an off road only vehicle with those wheels on!" A bit harsh I thought but then again he is kinda pessimistic, I didn't quite take it with a pinch of salt though as there must be some truth to it.

• 5 weeks later...
The arches look good there Reggie

Do the tyres rub much?

Hi Rhys,

Just a little catching still on the back doors but funnily enough more so at speed on the motorway than in the sticky stuff. I've already moved the back door ones right up to the swage line & over a little towards the front as when I first fitted them it was catching even on the road.

I did some a laning day the other day & it was fine with only minimal catching, maybe if I did some hardcore off roading then it may be a little worse but as I only trundle along gentle lanes its not a problem. I will visit a pay & play site soon to really test things out & post up my results.

Got my light bar fitted as well, here's a pics from the other day laning.

post-3312-1230822038_thumb.jpg

Have a good New Year :)

Not sure where the light bar came from as it was a present from my Fiancee for Christmas :D

The arches did need some tweaking & moving about a little but all seems well & good now. Arches came from here Innovation4x4

how much chopping did you have to do out the rear doors? i have / had the Roccia arches and looking to replace the rear as i've lost bits or the arches and unsble to get them anymore! any pics available?

how much chopping did you have to do out the rear doors? i have / had the Roccia arches and looking to replace the rear as i've lost bits or the arches and unsble to get them anymore! any pics available?

Thought they were guaranteed unbreakable :rolleyes:

Also looking @ arches as have fitted 265 insa specials and they will catch. Was thinking if they would look too small in these arches?

Steve

Reggie, it looks very impressive. Did you change also gearing somehow?

Thanks, I haven't changed the gearing yet but it was one of my next planned mods as I thought it would be horrendous but to be honest its not that bad. Low box isn't as low but didn't cause any problems.

I used to have the manual box which is lower than the auto box so I thought the combination of larger tyres & auto box would make it useless off road etc from what I've read but was quite surprised that it was ok.

I can't quite decide what to do gearing wise as I was going to change the rear axle for a Salisbury but the ring & pinion to change the gearing is £200 more than for the standard Rover axle.

Ring & pinion was the route I was looking at so it would do the low box as well as the high but in light of it driving ok & suiting my needs for the minute I can wait.

Lots of chopping as the tyres are rather large :rolleyes: Sorry no pics of the chop job as I just wanted to get them fitted asap as it was bloody freezing :blink:

Also looking @ arches as have fitted 265 insa specials and they will catch. Was thinking if they would look too small in these arches?

Steve

You can get the 50mm from Innovation4x4, I only needed the 75mm because of the 10x15" rims & 12.5 wide tyres. 50mm flexi arches should be fine for some 265s