200tdi won't rev

stobbie

The problem:

Defender with 200TDI engine won't rev. I don't have a rev counter, but I think it will go to max 2500RPM.

If I have the car in neutral and put my foot to the floor maybe a few hundred RPM more, but with a LOT of smoke, grey but maybe even blue.

Engine runs beautiful, no smoke during driving, not even at top speed. Topspeed at this moment about 60 MPH. Also no smoke during idle.

Doenst use (much) oil. I have this car about a year now, and it was like this when I bought it, but I didn't care too much about it, but now I think it would be nice if it didn't have the power of a N/A anymore, but like the TDI it is.

What did I do?:

1 Changed fuel filter ----> No difference

2 Changed lift pump ----> No difference

3 New aircleaner -----> No difference

4 Checked Turbo hoses ---> These are OK and not delaminating

I didn't check timing and valve clearances yet, but I think the engine is running too good for problems in those areas.

Any ideas?

Did you chech the pipes to/from the air filter. As this caused this to happen to my old 110.

Paul

No, I didn't! Good idea, gonna check those!

To the others; The tdi is from another vehicle but it is a defender one. I don't know the history of the timing belt, so I should really go change it. I thought the engine would not run as nice as it does if the timing is out. Fuel economy is good..

The problem:

Defender with 200TDI engine won't rev. I don't have a rev counter, but I think it will go to max 2500RPM.

If I have the car in neutral and put my foot to the floor maybe a few hundred RPM more, but with a LOT of smoke, grey but maybe even blue.

Engine runs beautiful, no smoke during driving, not even at top speed. Topspeed at this moment about 60 MPH. Also no smoke during idle.

Doenst use (much) oil. I have this car about a year now, and it was like this when I bought it, but I didn't care too much about it, but now I think it would be nice if it didn't have the power of a N/A anymore, but like the TDI it is.

What did I do?:

1 Changed fuel filter ----> No difference

2 Changed lift pump ----> No difference

3 New aircleaner -----> No difference

4 Checked Turbo hoses ---> These are OK and not delaminating

I didn't check timing and valve clearances yet, but I think the engine is running too good for problems in those areas.

Any ideas?

I have just had exactly the same with my 200TDi. Changed fuel filter and lift pump, no difference. The turbo hoses and air filter were changed recently anyway. I checked all the fuel lines and no visable problem, disconnected them and blew them through with an air line to find a blockage in the fuel pick up pipe. Gave them all a good clean and its been perfect since.

A friend that works in a garage said he's also known a degrading rubber fuel line to cause a blockage. When the pipe breaks up on a bend you can end up with a small rubber flip inside the pipe - this then acts as a type of one way valve restricting fuel flow.

matt