TD5 Powerloss

smo

I borrowed my farmer landlords TD5 defender to tow the d-lander to devon with - its broken!!!

Day started out ok, with a slight rough run possible miss early morn but she drove ok for 100 miles

Used throughout the day, loaded trailer and ran about a bit no problem but then on the trip home she suffered massived power loss, i had to use low range to get up hills and managed 8mph at one point flat out - she sounded rough, missing type sound.

Got to dad's half way and gave him trailer to tow, but even empty she was struggling up hills, off load she sounded fine and went ok, with occasional spurts of power but up hill got slower and slower and slower!!

Any ideas on diagnosis, i really cant return her broken, but in fairness i didnt break her either!!!

Help!

P.S - Its an 02 TD5 on a 51 plate - ive checked the ECU plugs and they look ok but will clean them later as a precaution.

Have you got smoke? If so check the EGR valve - check it anyway but if there are clouds of black smoke it is quite likely to be the EGR jammed open. If there is no smoke, my guess would be the fuel pump has packed up, the engine will continue to run (ish) but rice pudding skins are pretty safe in this condition.

I agree with 110WestCape, if there are no obvious mechanical failures, oil/water etc then it might be electronic. Have you been swimming in it? check the seatbox for damp

Do you have access to a nanocom ?

Are there any other Devon based members with a nanocom?

good luck and keep us updated..

I agree with 110WestCape, if there are no obvious mechanical failures, oil/water etc then it might be electronic. Have you been swimming in it? check the seatbox for damp

Do you have access to a nanocom ?

Are there any other Devon based members with a nanocom?

good luck and keep us updated..

Could be the MAF Sensor, mine was gone on the 110 when I got it. Try disconnecting the plug to it (on pipe going into air box) and giving it a run.

If its better then thats a good clue!

Mine is still down on power so am thinking its the head gasket.

Could be the MAF Sensor, mine was gone on the 110 when I got it. Try disconnecting the plug to it (on pipe going into air box) and giving it a run.

If its better then thats a good clue!

Mine is still down on power so am thinking its the head gasket.

Not likely, a failed MAF only reduces power slightly. Telltale signs of a failed MAF sensor are smoke at low revs and sluggish response when cold.

Steve

Not likely, a failed MAF only reduces power slightly. Telltale signs of a failed MAF sensor are smoke at low revs and sluggish response when cold.

Steve

It is definatly more noticable when cold, but it had a significat affect on mine all the way through the heat cycle. No smoke either which was odd.

That said It could be the combination of that and the now the suspected head gasket that caused different symptoms.

Do you always get mayo in the oil when the head gasket goes?

Do you always get mayo in the oil when the head gasket goes?

No.

I replaced the MAF sensor on my 110 recently. Once changed, the only noticeable symptoms were the lack of smoke at high load very low rev conditions - like when manoeuvring on a slope - and a period of around 15 seconds after engine start (which has been like it since I bought the car 18 months and 26k ago) where there is no power available has disappeared, allowing full power from start. I cannot say that there is a noticeable increase in power - though I think that tick-over may be smoother.

Chris

Yes i have a nanocom - no faults recorded (apart form the usual AC clutch etc cos it doesnt have AC)

I thought fuel pump as i couldnt hear it.....broke down properly last night when driving over to the in-laws, power loss then died, refuses to restart until 45 mins later when i returned with trailer and car to tow her home, she started reluctantrly but rough as a bad of nails, no smoke tho.

I tried her with the maf sensor disconnected (before she died) and it made no difference, the nanocom suggests it was working anyway.

No oil on ecu plugs - but i cleaned themj with brake cleaner anyway, no water in seat box and she's never been swimming more than a puddle on the farm lanes.

I'm stumped, first port of call is filter and pump as it seems like classic fuel starvation, fingers crossed its not a head gasket.

I thought fuel pump as i couldnt hear it.....broke down properly last night when driving over to the in-laws, power loss then died, refuses to restart until 45 mins later when i returned with trailer and car to tow her home, she started reluctantrly but rough as a bad of nails, no smoke tho.

So? Are you planning to do anything about the FP? If you cannot hear it then it is the problem, 99%. The symptoms sound very like mine, intermittent very poor running, does not like full throttle, poor starting.

Chris

actually the MAF does quite a bit. in my case, before i changed it, i had problems going up a long ramp onto a highway, had to downshift to 3rd when previously i could do it in 4th. after i disconnected it, wow, the car was back to normal while the $tealership told me to change all my injectors!!