Short shaft R380.

JonR

I need to replace my mainbox, which is an LT77s. What I'd really like is an R380 but it would need to be the short shaft version.

LEGS would build me one but I would need to find the bell housing. TM transmissions has one on Ebay with the bell housing, but I've not heard of them before so unsure of the quality of their rebuilt boxes. The local dealership wants £1700 for a new one.

I've trawled the internet and not come up with much so I was hoping if someone might be able to point me in the direction of a supplier, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon.

I need to replace my mainbox, which is an LT77s. What I'd really like is an R380 but it would need to be the short shaft version.

LEGS would build me one but I would need to find the bell housing. TM transmissions has one on Ebay with the bell housing, but I've not heard of them before so unsure of the quality of their rebuilt boxes. The local dealership wants £1700 for a new one.

I've trawled the internet and not come up with much so I was hoping if someone might be able to point me in the direction of a supplier, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon.

Ashcrofts had a stock of new (still in crates) short R380s, I got one off them earlier this year.

Thanks Mark , I'd be most interested. The only thing though is the bell housing and shaft length, aren't they different on a disco?

I tried Ashcrofts first. The one they were offering would have been perfect. I did ask if they could build one for me but apparently they can't (won't?).

Does anyone know anything about TM transmissions or had one of their boxes?

Also, a definitive answer regarding the use of the LT77 bell housing would be useful. At the moment my understanding of this is the LT77 bell housing is slightly too long.

Jon.

Hi,

we have been out of stock for along time so we have decided to get the parts made so we can convert the later TD5 suffix L and supply with the short pinion, bellhousing and nose cone,

it's the bellhousing thats taking a while, should be Feb 09, will still be quite expensive though at approx £ 895 + VAT rebuilt, outright,

this price has 3 componants,

1) core unit, TD5 R 380

2) rebuild

3) conversion parts

we also hope to supply the parts kit so you can converter your own unit,

When I phoned Ashcrofts first, it pains me to say but the lady I spoke to didn't provide any info or offer any help/suggestions, it really was a case of 'computer says no'... which left me wondering why, hence my comment.

Dave, thanks for that....at last :P. It would be just what I am after but, unfortunately, February is too far away, I don't think my gearbox will last that long, the vibration that has developed is becoming quite violent so it would be handy if I could find a box before christmas and fit it during the christmas holidays.

Incidentally, what is the difference between the LT77 bellhousing and the R380 version? It must be significant if you're getting bellhousings made.

Oh yes, still need to find a box from somewhere.

Jon.