Strengthening 10 spline axles

Mark

As far as I know GKN are the only ones and at over £300 a pair plus VAT not cheap either!

I had a long chat with Rakeway a short while ago about making up some 10 spline shafts out of unobtainium. The advice back was yes we can do it, but don't waste your money. If you really want strong axles for big tyres then (Land Rover wise) then sell your 10 splines and trade up to 24.

Something to do with the root diameter of the shaft in the splines is too small to do anything meaningful with.

Makes me wonder if the GKN ones are worth the money. I know for a fact that both Nick and Tim have broken them, at least two :ph34r: of which were not done under any kind of heavy throttle. Of course it could have been a case of the straw that broke the camels back I suppose...

I run standard 10 spline shafts with 235 85 machos and an ARB in the back. I have had V8 and 200Tdi with auto and only managed to twist a shaft. But I do drive like an old woman....

another option is to convert the rr diff to 24 spline and fit 90 v8 shafts. That might be a good budget solution, although I am not sure what the arb gears cost to do this.

Daan

I agree with daan - I did this with one of my old ones - think the gears were about 60 quid but it was a while ago.

- saying that i think it was you that bought the ten spline off me ?? failing that you could always sell it back to me ;)

another option is to convert the rr diff to 24 spline and fit 90 v8 shafts. That might be a good budget solution, although I am not sure what the arb gears cost to do this.

Daan

This has been mooted several times and it turns out that the cost is prohibitive, I think Walfy actually got a definitive price for the bits to do it but it was expensive. He sold his 10's and bought new 24's as a result.

- saying that i think it was you that bought the ten spline off me ?? failing that you could always sell it back to me ;)

Jeff,

Indeed I did get one of them from you.

Do you have a 24 spline one for sale perchance???

Mark,

Regarding the rear axle, I run standard shafts (albeit 24 spline) and carry a pair of spares and an X-Shaft (as yet unchristened). Front axle has 2522s with Ashcroft bits to convert. All has been reliable to date (Touching wood quickly :) )

Mo

Bear in Mind EARLY 10 spline ARBs cannot be converted to 24 spline,

and only very Late 10 spline ARBs can be - guide was how many screws in the side plate -

but I can't remember how many was which type, again Dave at Ashcroft can advise,

so don't think you can just pop 24 spline centres into yer ARB when you fancy.... :(

The stronger GKN type early CVs are something with a 6 part no, something like 606663 ish ?

I have these in mine, with ashcroft inner 24s and qualiffe stub shafts on the outers and flanges,

often the CVs goes when the shafts go "Pop" and the shock load does the CV no good at all

Nige

This has been mooted several times and it turns out that the cost is prohibitive, I think Walfy actually got a definitive price for the bits to do it but it was expensive. He sold his 10's and bought new 24's as a result.

Yes I got a definitive price from both Devon44 and Ashcrofts. If you change everything to do it properly as per the manual is cost about 400 quid. That's not to say that you could change the 10spl gear to 24 spl gear and it would work. But as I have no idea when it comes to fabbing stuff or even the facilitys. I had to get the job done properly.

As I have no facilitys I class myself as an amatuear chequebook offroader who doesn't have big cheques

I sold both my 10 spl ARB's. Built into the diff,airline,solonoid and dash switch. I got as close to 900 for the pair. So I was very happy to get that much back. To help with the Ashcroft bill that followed very shortly afterwards.

In hindsite I should of done a bit more research and spent a bit more money at the start and gone 24 spl from the start. Hey ho. Live and learn.

In hindsite I should of done a bit more research and spent a bit more money at the start and gone 24 spl from the start. Hey ho. Live and learn.

thats what i did sold the 10 spline stuff and went 24 when i added lockers and i think this is the best route

keep saving and do the whole lot 24spline with Ashcrofts CVs and shafts and pegging if it will go that far, then when you go to Dave you are in a better position to ask for a discount as your buying alot, you wont get one but your in a better position to ask!

Bear in Mind EARLY 10 spline ARBs cannot be converted to 24 spline,

and only very Late 10 spline ARBs can be - guide was how many screws in the side plate -

but I can't remember how many was which type, again Dave at Ashcroft can advise,

so don't think you can just pop 24 spline centres into yer ARB when you fancy.... :(

I take by this you have tryed or is this something you were told or read ?

the 2 that i converted both were EARLY - in fact they some of the first in the uk !!

I also sold them on this forum - and they are still i take it doing the job with 24 spline shafts

and all i swopped was the gears -

i've been reading on pirate about cryo treating stuff.

wonder if that would be a viable alternative to those running 10 spline ARBs...... means you could possibly uprate your own standard shafts into something worthwhile without having to scrap the lot and buy new 24 spline stuff.

• 2 months later...

Right I have the chance to get my hands on a set of 24 spline axles at a good price, just I need ot extract them from an awkward place. SO would the internals fit in my 10 spline axles ok, or shall I just take the whole lot, plus front radius arms.

I have a 1993 front 10 spline axle

and a 1987 range rover rear axle with the mushroom headed shafts.

Current thinking is take complete front axle and then just the internals from the rear axle if it will fit in my existing casing.

Thanks

Jon

Jon, I would have the whole lot if I were you. converting an imperial casing to take metric shafts can be a pain as you need hubs as well. much easier just to bolt the whole lot on.

Don't forget you will need to change the flange on the rear diff for a standard 4-bolt one.

Mark