Strengthening 10 spline axles

Mark

Being the budget concious builder that I am, I want to try and build up some reasonably strong axles but based around my Early Disco 10 Spline Axles. I know conventional wisdom says get 24 spline axles and ring Ashcrofts, however, I can't really justify the resultant bill....

I have already acquired a pair of 10 spline ARB Diffs, which is another factor constraining me to stick with 10 spline, so I am really after suggestions as to what the best way to go would be in terms of shafts and CV's.

Front:

I have acquired a set of GKN Flexy front shafts, and will be using these. Currently I only have the standard Rangie/Disco CV's which use a seperate stub shaft. Is it easy to fit AEU2522 CV's to disco hubs? I am assuming that I would also need to change over to drive flanges as well as the 2522 CV's have an integral outer shaft?

Does the machining required to fit AEU2522's mean I could fit Ashcroft CV's at a later date?

Rear:

My intention was to stick with standard 10 spline mushroom headed shafts, as they are cheap and there are plenty around. However, I do wonder if there is or ever has been a strengthened rear shafts for 10-spline axles? I would far rather the shafts did not break in the first place...

Any help, or offers of obsolete kit much appreciated... ;)

Cheers

Mark

The plan is to run something along the lines of a 35" BFG MT pattern - large, but not hugely aggressive...

Didn't know GKN did rear shafts too... I know the fronts are like rocking horse manure to find, so I suspect the rears are similarly scarce.... :(

Hmmmm Auto would be nice, but that pretty much means buying another car and basing the new truck on that. I already have too many cars, so for now I am going to stick with an axle upgrade for the moment...

I will give Gwyn a call in the morning and see what he has to say about them.

Having said that I need all this, I have yet to actually break a shaft or a CV, only Diffs. But by strengthening the diffs, the weak spot just moves to a different area, so while I have the opportunity to build the axles up from scratch I might as well build them as strong as the budget allows....

cheers for the comments, please do keep them coming.

ta

Mark

I spoke to crown diffs the other day and he assured me that as long as you run open diffs, the diff upgrade (4 pin) will not move the weakness onto, say a halfshaft etc.

Rhys, I am not really sure that makes much sense...

Whilst I agree that a 4pin diff is stronger, you are essentially saying that they are still the weakpoint in the transmission, so they will still break before a shaft? which seems like a lot of expense for little gain?

possibly I have not understood you, but as I have the ARB's sat on the shelf, it is less of a problem.... ;)

Cheers

Mark

Hi Kelly,

The AEU2522 CV's are early 110 ones. ;)

I am curious as to what needs to be done to get them to fit a Disco axle and if the Ashcroft CV's are a direct replacement for the AEU2522's....

Mark

You'll need the stubs and hubs with discs from the same motor you get the cv's from. you may need the calipers as well so the easyest option is complete swivels and just bolt them straight on should save you hassel swapping them. the main tubes are the same.

Think the early 110's have bigger discs but I'm not sure.

As for fitting 4 pin you can still break them it's just harder but my simple answer is learn to spin your wheels less as this is what causes diff's to blow. If you master that then you'll start snapping halfshafts instead. :lol:

You have to do some machining to fit the 90/110 CVs,

once done then ashcrofts equally fit, but its aggro,

swap the ends over for 90/110 assemblies is faster.

The axle you have - if it has the virtaully "No Nose" CV

and the stub shaft the CV is very strong, you could (as I have) fit

Quaiife outer shafts and flanges, or fit 90/110 CV and

GKN overloads hubs front / rear or both

Nige

Rhys, don't trust everything you hear especially from people trying to sell you things :P

Mark, as Nige correctly said, what CV setup have you got at the moment? If its the mushroom type separate stub shaft job then these are very similar in strength to the AEU2522 (incorrectly referred to as early 110 CVs by some of the export markets who didn't get early 90s - you will find 90's fitted with AEU2522s) plus you have a separate stubshaft which can be used as a fusible link if you have uprated half shafts.

As far as converting a later RRC/Disco axle to take these CVs it can be done. You will find you need similar parts to those needed to convert a later Defender axle to use these CVs. Maxi Drive used to do a kit (I used to run one) which basically consisted of a phosphor bronze bush that replaces the bearing in the end of the stub axle (this supports the outer end of the CV bell) and a deeper drive flange (due to the increased length of the CV stub shaft). If you have the kit there would be nothing stopping you from machining up the conversion bushes and making up some spacers to space out standard, early drive flanges.

I now have the drawings from Dave Ashcroft (Thanks Dave, much appreciated ;) )which show the modification needed for my stub axles to take the AUE2522 CV's, and to be honest, it's very simple (so long as you have access to a decent sized lathe) - pretty much as will describes above.

I have never heard the RR CV's described as strong before - it has always been the AEU2522 CV's that have always been hailed as the strongest of the Genuine CV's. I have heard of people using the outer stub shaft as a fusible link on these axles though, thus saving the inner shafts and the CV's but creating a weak point on the easy to get at shafts - This does seem like by far the cheapes option!

To those who feel driver education is required, I can sypathise with the sentiment, but this is more about having the opportunity to build up good axles from scratch but with a limited budget. Given the general talk of 24 spline everything, and sadly the bills to go with it, I thought this might be of interest to quite a number of people on here.

Thanks for the comments though chaps.

Any more ideas for rear shafts or are the GKN ones the only after market ones?